What's new

Minimalist Shaving Discipline

Honestly I want to be completely minimalist. Using up most of what I have, no more buying for awhile. I have a lot of PdP soap left, almost 3 tins still and almost a kilo of Cella not to mention the Stirling soap. Posting on Shave of the Day is kinda embarrassing when using so few products!

If cost is YOUR criteria for minimalist -

No shave soap, use your bath bar
No brush, pure unneeded luxury
Dollar store twin blade carts
No storage, use your toothbrush holder
Agreed. The advantage of carts'/disposable razors is that they enable you to shave faster with regular bar soap, whose lather quickly disappears on the face in a short space of time compared to shaving with more time consuming DE,SE and SR razors which demand a longer lather retention on the face and the need for dedicated shaving foams ,gels, creams and soaps

My minimalist philosophy:
1) I have 3 good razors , I don't need any more.
2) I have 2 good brushes, I don't need another one unless one wears out.
3) I have a solid blue plastic lathering bowl, I don't need another item for lathering
4) I have 98 razor blades in storage. I will get more when I begin to run low--some time next year.
5) I have 2 good quality aftershaves, I will replace only when they run out.
6) I have 2 good lathering products, I will replace only when they run out.

I'm torn.

I naturally incline to minimalism, but after spending close to twenty years using the same razor, brush, soap, and blades, it is nice to be able to experiment with other options.

Having said that, I do feel that now the initial rush of excitement has ceased, I am landing on a definitive den:

• 3 Razors: Gillette Slim, Merkur 34C, Razorock G37 Slant (to be replaced by the Wunderbar when it arrives)
  • 1 Brush: PAA Peregrino
  • 2 soaps: Global Cedarwood and Lime (puck) and Speick (stick)
  • OK, lots of blades, but do they really count? :p
  • 1 alum (Osma, naturally)
  • 1 Witch hazel
  • A modest assortment of balms, and aftershaves/colognes
Not austere, granted, but hardly excessive! :)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm close to a minimalist, but I don't equate that with using budget supplies.

I've been using the same Wolfman razor virtually every day for the past 6 years. PolSilver Blades most days.

I usually use MdC, but I always have another soap for days when I want a change (WK or SV)- sue me.

WH is always Thayer's unscented w/aloe, moisturizer is always Clinique.

The brush is where I fall off the wagon. I have two favorite Semogue boars for the scuttle, the SOC 2 band badger for face lathering, and when I want to feel decadent the Kent BK8 in the scuttle.

I have a completely different set for travel.

My concept of "a minimalist shave" is as follows:

A leisurely prep, washing the face twice with soap and water

Shaving with lukewarm water, using a slick bath soap (applied by hand) that is easy lathering in hard water

A Parker Variant adjustable razor, set at a moderate setting

A fresh made-in-America Personna lab blue blade

And a bit of Thayer's witch hazel non-alcohol toner, or a mundane body lotion

I guess I lean minimalist in that while I have three razors, they represent an accumulation on the path to finding the One Razor to Rule Them All, which I'm pretty convinced I've found. I still have the other two, but they're not being used. Not sure what I'll do with the other two... I guess it's good to have a backup, even if I can't really fathom why I'd need a "backup" razor.

Brushes: I have two, but here the song remains the same: both acquired looking for The One Brush, which again, I have found. The other I use for washing my face at night. There was an attempt at trying to love a badger-hair brush but that didn't pan out. It's still around, somewhere, but I don't remember seeing it in some time; it might have been tossed. No real interest in experimenting here for me. I have a brush, it works, I'm good.

Blades: I like having two, known-good blade options, but no real interest in rotating through a wide selection. "Stocking up" means an order of 100. I have a small accumulation of "duds", blades that I'm just not compatible with, that I keep meaning to donate to B&B's Blade Exchange but, I'm a slacker.

Soaps: I do like a little variety here but I've settled on a few. I'll branch out every once in a while because I can get curious, or bored I suppose, but this doesn't happen often and I have no qualms about tossing a soap that's not working out. Samples have been very helpful in preventing a lot of soap from being trashed.

Aftershaves: Not a whole lot of interest here for me in having a wide variety to rotate through and, again, samples have been my go-to. Most aftershaves I've tried have not impressed me really. I do have a couple unscented balms I stick with and one, scented, alcohol-based AS that both the wife and I like very much so I feel I'm good here.

Minimalism Back to the Future

2022 is my third year in B&B, DE shaving, and my return to minimalism. Entering DE shaving from carts I was a minimalist. I had a badger brush, a Harry’s razor and two or three soaps.

A Kaleidoscopic expansion of many wet shaving products and equipment was needed to get to a Fixed Four. That took two and a half years. No one can try everything. Finding best suited products and equipment for my shave was rewarding and fun. Early DE shaving brought excitement and adventure always moving toward shaving efficiency. The three pass face and head shave was reduced to an ATG Single Pass Shave.

Sensitive Skin. My non existent pre and post shaves were introduced. Refined they are the biggest part of my shave in time and prep. They allow and support consistent very close, very comfortable shaves.

Minimalism to me is about Efficiency, more than anything else. My shaving experience has been. Highest Efficiency always delivers Highest Comfort. My goal. On going refinement. Stroke Count.

A good efficient vehicle is the cornerstone. Comfort morphing into luxurious shaves is the trip plan.

My Fixed Four Kit
7D1745B3-E31C-4A79-9E6C-30B10714B90D.jpeg

My fixed four shaves are weekly. Four shaves for January. 48 shaves to go for 2022. I continue to explore and refine my shaves. Reducing Shave Strokes. Minimalism.

Top Bottom