What's new

What is your goal blade stash?

Wet shaving is a niche hobby in the West. If tomorrow they start selling cartridges in the rest of the world at locally affordable prices, the DE shavepocalypse may become very real. Blades are cheap, may as well stock up now that there's still ample supply.

I think I am pretty much done with my stash after the latest 100 blade purchase. I set up an inventory of all of my blades in an Excel spreadsheet - took me less than half an hour to count all blades including random samples, and takes a minute to update it when I pull a fresh blade. As of today, I have just over 900 of my "preferred" blades, which should last me at least 10-12 years (shaving daily, using a blade 4-5 times). The bulk is Russian Astra SP (369), Indian Astra SP (197), Feathers (191) and Perma-Sharps (124). I may buy another couple hundred Perma-Sharps if / when they drop to below $10/100 again.

Wet shaving is a niche hobby in the West. If tomorrow they start selling cartridges in the rest of the world at locally affordable prices, the DE shavepocalypse may become very real. Blades are cheap, may as well stock up now that there's still ample supply.

I consider myself fortunate to load up on blades these past few years. I felt that the prices were as low as they are likely to be.

Even now as we ser prices rising, I still expect they will continue to rise and product will dissappear.

Very good advice. Buy what you need. Buy what you don't need. Product will only become more scarce and the prices are very likely to double is the next few years. I doubt if they will stop there!

I consider myself fortunate to load up on blades these past few years. I felt that the prices were as low as they are likely to be.

Even now as we ser prices rising, I still expect they will continue to rise and product will dissappear.

Very good advice. Buy what you need. Buy what you don't need. Product will only become more scarce and the prices are very likely to double is the next few years. I doubt if they will stop there!

Yep. A lot of blades got more expensive - not just the Russian made ones, Feathers are now 2x as expensive as what I paid back in 2019.

On the other hand, Astra is actually a couple dollars cheaper. And Perma-Sharp, when the price drops, is sub-$10/100. I don't think the blades are going to get any cheaper going forward.

But it's not the price that worries me. $20-25, or even $40 per 100 blades may be relatively "expensive" but it's more than a year's supply for me, so in the grand scheme of things it's still reasonable. What I am concerned with is the potential for reduced availability and diminishing quality. At the current prices, mere $200 worth of blades will go a looong way.

Yep. A lot of blades got more expensive - not just the Russian made ones, Feathers are now 2x as expensive as what I paid back in 2019.

On the other hand, Astra is actually a couple dollars cheaper. And Perma-Sharp, when the price drops, is sub-$10/100. I don't think the blades are going to get any cheaper going forward.

But it's not the price that worries me. $20-25, or even $40 per 100 blades may be relatively "expensive" but it's more than a year's supply for me, so in the grand scheme of things it's still reasonable. What I am concerned with is the potential for reduced availability and diminishing quality. At the current prices, mere $200 worth of blades will go a looong way.
Agreed. Blades are cheap enough (and they should ladt indefinitely stored in a cool and dry space) to where there's no reason to not stock up on a product you like. For a deeply personal experience like shaving, a gentleman should have his preferred products if possible.

What I am concerned with is the potential for reduced availability and diminishing quality. At the current prices, mere $200 worth of blades will go a looong way.

That is my point as well. So many blades have gone missing in the last few years alone. Look at the many blades from the past that are only a memory.

The only way to insure you will continue to have access is to invest in a few bulk purchases.

All things considered, bulking up on blades is not really much of a financial investment. I don't mind stocking up on things that I plan to be using. Particularly when they have an extended shelf life.

The added bonus is that I fully anticipate their prices to be well ahead of current price inflation (and that's saying a lot!).

My only regret is not buying Wizamet blades 3 or 4 years ago. Right now, if I use my De blades only for 2 weeks a blade I think I have about 20 years of shave. I have ordered 100 pcs of A77 blades. That would add about 3-4 years.

1712851013003.jpeg

I consulted my tracking spreadsheet (I have one for everything, it’s a work habit) and I spent the total of $145 on blades since 2019. That’s including the overpriced sample packs and some blade purchases that didn’t quite work out. That’s less than I expected.

So, I just ordered 100 7 O’clock yellows, bringing my “good” stash to just over 1000 blades, and spending $1.32 after using some Amazon points.

I may also get some Nacets if I can find them at below $15/100, so I could play around with different blades I like.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't have a number goal... but I think I have enough to last me the rest of my life, both DE and AC....@ 70, my days are not taken for granted.

I did buy those little, thin, plastic tackle boxes infused with some sort of rust inhibitor.... They are around $5... and hold 500 blades or so, depending on the tuck dimensions. The Personna Comfort Coated USA blades aren't packaged in tucks... the 600 I have fit in one with lots of room to spare.

The Wizamets don't fit in them, so I have them in little 3D boxes I bought on Etsy...

I’m not sure if I have an actual number that I am striving for, but I am sitting at a little over 900

400 Perma-Sharp
300 AccuForge
200 USA Personna.
Plus maybe 75-100 loose in samples.

Would like to get each of those 3 to 600 each and maybe 200 in SE and then maybe 100-200 in tucks of other brands just to test and to have a change of pace.

I've around 1,200 blades from Derby, Astra and Dorco. When purchased they did not require a lot of financial investment with the Derby Extras then selling for under $9/blue 200 pack, $8/100 for Astra and Dorcos for between $6 and $10 per 100 depending on if they were Stainless or Prime. Under $100 for the entire inventory above including a Connaught Shaving Popular Variety Pack I threw in an order in the fall of '22 in case I get curious about some other brands. All my blades work well so no need to add more inventory her.

At my current rate of use I'm likely set for up to a couple of decades.

Top Bottom