What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I had an outstanding shave with my MMOC this morning. It's been far too long since I've revisited this truly excellent shaver. Despite not having picked it up in months, it gave me an irritation-free, near-BBS shave. This is definitely a top razor for me, and one of my all time favorites.
Sotd040819.jpg

Flintstone65

Today was a gem Monday for me. My second use of the Gym Junior Bar.
Noxzema and hot towel pre-wash
Fourth flip gem PTFE in Gem Jr. Bar
Stirling Bay Rum on Omega Boar.
Witch hazel splash then White Proraso aftershave balm.
Very close comfortable shave.
This was a rare one razor shave for me I just had to do a little stubble clean up after a great shave yesterday.
A wise man somewhere on this forums said something to the effect of, The success of today's shave is greatly dependent on the success of the last shave. I believe that to be true
If I knew who that was and where, I'd give them credit.

View attachment 970339
I like that saying, and I love that razor....absolutely beautiful!!!

Today was a gem Monday for me. My second use of the Gym Junior Bar.
Noxzema and hot towel pre-wash
Fourth flip gem PTFE in Gem Jr. Bar
Stirling Bay Rum on Omega Boar.
Witch hazel splash then White Proraso aftershave balm.
Very close comfortable shave.
This was a rare one razor shave for me I just had to do a little stubble clean up after a great shave yesterday.
A wise man somewhere on this forums said something to the effect of, The success of today's shave is greatly dependent on the success of the last shave. I believe that to be true
If I knew who that was and where, I'd give them credit.

View attachment 970339

Well, I am guilty of that comment. Very impressive razor and congratulations on your shave not to mention that I appreciate your continued contribution and participation of MicroMatic Monday. :)

Well, I am guilty of that comment. Very impressive razor and congratulations on your shave not to mention that I appreciate your continued contribution and participation of MicroMatic Monday. :)

I suspected it having been you. Very wise indeed. It makes complete sense, especially when the shaves are on sequential or alternating days with little time for skin recovery. And it's my pleasure to join this stellar group of gentlemen in the use of these exemplary razors.

Last edited:
I had an outstanding shave with my MMOC this morning. It's been far too long since I've revisited this truly excellent shaver. Despite not having picked it up in months, it gave me an irritation-free, near-BBS shave. This is definitely a top razor for me, and one of my all time favorites.
View attachment 970340

Love that brush.
You commented on the scent of Tabac earlier but I've never heard what it actually smells like.

Flintstone65

Open Comb this Monday - I've more of the Open Combed ilk than it's younger versions - and for me the MMOC is the one ..
View attachment 970330
That is a beautiful Micromatic in a stellar looking case!!!

My first shave with an MMOC this morning!

My twinjector blades arrived at the same time, and I had to try the combo.

Works really well, although I am concerned that the extra thickness of the twin blades might weaken the TTO mechanism over time? Anyone have any ideas on that?

Anyway, trying a PTFE in it tomorrow. So far I like this MMOC even better than my 1912 :)
Glad you joined us with your MMOC -- and I know that I prefer my Micromatics to my 1912. As for the use of a twinjector's impact on the TTO, I really couldn't say....I have heard of people using regular injector blades with their Micromatics, but those blades have the same thickness as the GEM blades (I think).

Had a totally smooth shave with my MMBT. The, for the fourth time flipped, GEM PFTE blade, such a great performer!
It's hard to beat a MMBT for a great shave!!!

Flintstone65

Love that brush.
You commented on the scent of Tabac earlier but I've never heard what it actually smells like.
I really like the brush too! Unfortunately, I dropped it on the floor and a very small piece of resin chipped off the bottom....I almost cried....but it's barely noticeable (except to me).

Someone described Tabac as smelling like a grandmother (or older lady) :lol1:. I hate to admit it, but it does sort of give me that vibe too -- maybe that's the "comforting factor" for me. It's a floral scent (sort of a lilac and lavender mix with a touch of spice, to me). I'm really bad at describing scents; but if it helps by way of comparison -- I prefer lighter/sweeter/soapy scents (Cella, Haslinger's Schafmilch, La Toja, Palmolive) -- Tabac is sort of a combination of La Toja and Haslinger's....if that makes sense.

There are some scents that are too strong for me -- mostly these fall into what I describe as Cologne-type scents (most of Fine's aftershaves are too intense for me, even though I think they initially smell nice, like Platinum and Fresh Vetiver). And then there are the ones that I don't love, but I can do, like Arko (it's soapy, but with a citrus smell that I don't love).

I really like Tabac's performance as a shaving soap, and it does help that I like the scent because it does tend to linger; but the scent is so distinctive that you either really like it, or really hate it. I think they make a shave stick, and that may be an initial smaller investment/commitment than going for the tub.

Hope that helped...but I doubt it :frown2:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It was a GEMonday for myself today and it was uneventful and that is what I like. The 1911 Gem Junior bar did another great job and I was pleased CCS,DFS,BBS on a GEM Personna SS PTFE (8). I have one more Gem (Damaskeene OC) that I received back almost a couple of weeks back and going to give that one a try this week sometime. It seems like a nice razor feeling in the hand with it's slender handle and lots of folks like it and will have to give it a whirl. The inside chamber & base plate is a little different than my 1912(1921> MFG) but not very much. So after 8 consecutive days of shaving with the GEM junior bar it's a winner for sure.
MicroMonday April 8 2019 (2).jpg

Have some great GEM shaves!

Flintstone65

It was a GEMonday for myself today and it was uneventful and that is what I like. The 1911 Gem Junior bar did another great job and I was pleased CCS,DFS,BBS on a GEM Personna SS PTFE (8). I have one more Gem (Damaskeene OC) that I received back almost a couple of weeks back and going to give that one a try this week sometime. It seems like a nice razor feeling in the hand with it's slender handle and lots of folks like it and will have to give it a whirl. The inside chamber & base plate is a little different than my 1912(1921> MFG) but not very much. So after 8 consecutive days of shaving with the GEM junior bar it's a winner for sure.
View attachment 970364
Have some great GEM shaves!
Very nice setup, and I completely agree with your assessment of the Gem Junior Bar. I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the OC Dammy. If I'm not mistaken, it was produced right after your 1911 and basically represented GEM's ultimate departure from the Lather Catchers and progression to the flip-top style razors.

SOTD MMMonday - 4/8 back home and in the groove

Shower for prep
1 Micromatic Clog-pruf + Schick L1 injector (props to @GAW9576 )
2 GEM (6?) flipped + AccuTEC? injector blade
3 Zenith B5
4 BOSC Special Reserve AC menthol

AFF4A353-B8F8-4638-AD3C-7509292FC8AA.jpeg

Two and a half days of stubble mowed down efficiently by the MMCP, with the Schick in service for the neck whorl touch up. The last time I used an L1 my beard was just coming in and injector packs were cheap and available in every drug store. A fast DFS with just a hint of feedback from the alum. It’s neck-and-neck between my MMOCs and the MMCP.

For me, my various snap cap Gems and Ever-Readys are solid players, but can’t quite match those two Micromatic stars. But it’s like the kids soccer teams I used to coach, everybody plays! It’s time to give the G-Bar and Featherweight some minutes.

It's Monday and I tried the 1912 again. As per advice here, I tried choking up on the handle and was intentional about applying no pressure with short strokes. Got through it with only some soreness to the skin and no blood. After two passes no where near to a close shave. I'll try again next Monday.

Flintstone65

Shower for prep
3 Zenith B5

View attachment 970413

Two and a half days of stubble mowed down efficiently by the MMCP, with the Schick in service for the neck whorl touch up. The last time I used an L1 my beard was just coming in and injector packs were cheap and available in every drug store. A fast DFS with just a hint of feedback from the alum. It’s neck-and-neck between my MMOCs and the MMCP.

For me, my various snap cap Gems and Ever-Readys are solid players, but can’t quite match those two Micromatic stars. But it’s like the kids soccer teams I used to coach, everybody plays! It’s time to give the G-Bar and Featherweight some minutes.
Good to have you back, John!

Flintstone65

It's Monday and I tried the 1912 again. As per advice here, I tried choking up on the handle and was intentional about applying no pressure with short strokes. Got through it with only some soreness to the skin and no blood. After two passes no where near to a close shave. I'll try again next Monday.
Always good to have a bloodless (and relatively painless) shave, but it doesn't sound like it's working well for you yet.

I found my 1912 to be more aggressive than I was expecting....much more so than any of my Micromatics. Actually, when I think about it, it's more aggressive than any of the GEM's I've tried so far (with the exception of my 1905'ish GEM "New" Lather Catcher which is missing a blade stop). That said, my aggression has also come with efficiency -- it was definitely a cutter. I'm scratching my head trying to come up with something helpful to say regarding angle and/or blade type. I'll look back at some of the earlier posts and see if anything jumps out at me.

I'm glad you're hanging in there with it!

I really like the brush too! Unfortunately, I dropped it on the floor and a very small piece of resin chipped off the bottom....I almost cried....but it's barely noticeable (except to me).

Someone described Tabac as smelling like a grandmother (or older lady) :lol1:. I hate to admit it, but it does sort of give me that vibe too -- maybe that's the "comforting factor" for me. It's a floral scent (sort of a lilac and lavender mix with a touch of spice, to me). I'm really bad at describing scents; but if it helps by way of comparison -- I prefer lighter/sweeter/soapy scents (Cella, Haslinger's Schafmilch, La Toja, Palmolive) -- Tabac is sort of a combination of La Toja and Haslinger's....if that makes sense.

There are some scents that are too strong for me -- mostly these fall into what I describe as Cologne-type scents (most of Fine's aftershaves are too intense for me, even though I think they initially smell nice, like Platinum and Fresh Vetiver). And then there are the ones that I don't love, but I can do, like Arko (it's soapy, but with a citrus smell that I don't love).

I really like Tabac's performance as a shaving soap, and it does help that I like the scent because it does tend to linger; but the scent is so distinctive that you either really like it, or really hate it. I think they make a shave stick, and that may be an initial smaller investment/commitment than going for the tub.

Hope that helped...but I doubt it :frown2:

That helps. The name having no experience to me sounds like it would be tobacco and I imagined maybe a little leather. Funny the colors and font used in the packaging don't say lavender and lilac to me.

And You should be able to carefully buff out a small chip if you so desire.

Last edited:

Shower for prep
3 Zenith B5

View attachment 970413

Are the props regarding multiple razors or what I did to my recently acquired Schick?
The MMOC and MMCP are definitely close contenders in the efficiency department. And the MMBT is great when a milder shave is desired.

Interesting. I have another gem razor that I don't use because it came missing a blade stop (an everready). Maybe next Monday I'll try it anyway. Also bought a 'shovelhead' (?) off the BST today, so I'll explore some different gem holders.

Always good to have a bloodless (and relatively painless) shave, but it doesn't sound like it's working well for you yet.

I found my 1912 to be more aggressive than I was expecting....much more so than any of my Micromatics. Actually, when I think about it, it's more aggressive than any of the GEM's I've tried so far (with the exception of my 1905'ish GEM "New" Lather Catcher which is missing a blade stop). That said, my aggression has also come with efficiency -- it was definitely a cutter. I'm scratching my head trying to come up with something helpful to say regarding angle and/or blade type. I'll look back at some of the earlier posts and see if anything jumps out at me.

I'm glad you're hanging in there with it!

Tabac scent is heavy on carnation, lavender and aldehyde. The base notes linger a little when the damage to your olfactory senses is already done: tonka bean, musk, amber and, they say, tobacco. A very '70s scent.
Just like Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal, Tabac chooses you, not vice versa. Tabac rejected me in so many unmannered ways. The soap itself perform beautifully, great slickness and protection and a puck last forever.
The shaving stick is quite expensive if you are not in England* but it as a richer base with a couple of added ingredients that improve the post-shave feeling.

*Tabac is produced in Germany but somehow the Brits have the best prices, just like it happens with Palmolive and Wilkinson Sword sticks.

Last edited:
Tabac scent is heavy on carnation, lavender and aldehyde. The base notes linger a little when the damage to your olfactory senses is already done: tonka bean, musk, amber and, they say, tobacco. A very '70s scent.
Just like Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal, Tabac chooses you, not vice versa. Tabac rejected me I many unmannered ways. The soap itself perform beautifully, great slickness and protection and a puck last forever.
The shaving stick is quite expensive if you are not in England* but it as a richer base with a couple of added ingredients that improve the post-shave feeling.

*Tabac is produced in Germany but somehow the Brits have the best prices, just like Palmolive and Wilkinson Sword sticks.

Thank you for the info. It sounds like something I may enjoy.

Thank you for the info. It sounds like something I may enjoy.

The description sounds nice but it rather smells like rotting flowers. Or your grandma's drawer/purse/closet/bathroom/insertyourmemorieshere. It smells old, not the wondrous ancient gothic scent of the Geo F Trumper Eucris, just old and, at least to my nostrils, pretty nasty.

Top Bottom