What's new

Micromatic Monday

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Good morning all (well, it's morning here) -- it looks like we will have quite a Micromatic tribute. I'll be there with my very first Micromatic Open Comb (with internal "blade bumps")....and for those who cannot be with us tomorrow, I'll also be using my 1930-1932 "bumpless" MMOC. Lastly, my very first SE and razor brought to me by this thread's founder (the Schick E3) will be there for a clean-up pass and/or back of neck shave. All 3 razors are excellent shaving tools, but they also remind me of this thread and the start of my SE shaving journey.

I'm looking forward to reading about the shaves of the folks that have already weighed in, and I hope to see even more Micromatics, GEMs or other GEM-style ASR brands (if you don't have a Micromatic or GEM razor handy).

Micromatic Monday Approaches!!!! :clap:

I'll be rocking my MMOC, also with 'blade bumps'. 😎

Any remaining cleanup will be with my Schick G8. 😎

Good morning all (well, it's morning here) -- it looks like we will have quite a Micromatic tribute. I'll be there with my very first Micromatic Open Comb (with internal "blade bumps")....and for those who cannot be with us tomorrow, I'll also be using my 1930-1932 "bumpless" MMOC. Lastly, my very first SE and razor brought to me by this thread's founder (the Schick E3) will be there for a clean-up pass and/or back of neck shave. All 3 razors are excellent shaving tools, but they also remind me of this thread and the start of my SE shaving journey.

I'm looking forward to reading about the shaves of the folks that have already weighed in, and I hope to see even more Micromatics, GEMs or other GEM-style ASR brands (if you don't have a Micromatic or GEM razor handy).

Micromatic Monday Approaches!!!! :clap:

i found where all my GEM blades were hidden.

see if I can remember how to use the flying wing again.

I'll blow my 85 day streak for an important anniversary.

camo

I hate for you to blow your streak....perhaps you can bring a SR along and split the shave between the GEM and the straight....just a thought!

hadnt thought about that......will do.

been a long week and weekend painting and prepping. putting in bamboo flooring in the living room. im spent.

thick stuff.

20200417_184533.jpg

camo

'48 Micromatic Flying Wing Bullet Tip
GEM PTFE (1) 🙂
W.H. Morley & Sons
Tabac
Semogue 1305
Miller Strop
CeraVe Hylauronic Acid Serum
Tabac AS

20200720_061446.jpg

in honor of the Micromatic Monday two year anniversary, the Flying Wing was deployed this morning. 2 1/2 passes. I always considered this razor as a smooth yet efficient razor. not much for blade feel (no pun intended) with this one. seemed fitting to pair with the Morley, an American workhorse of a razor. This was an eye opening experience and wonderful shave. No stubble left on me to say the least.

10/10

be well all.

camo

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MicroMaticMonday,July 20th 2020, commemorate 2yrs of ASR shaving as a group of A.S.R keeners.
Always wondered what it would be like to have a Micromatic adjustable so I had to improvise my version today with
- Mid range + by different variants of the Micromatics to see & feel how it would go. A little bit of extra work but it was worth the effort to receive a BBs shave. Gem Mfg was working on adjustable's in some proto types but nothing ever came of it. I think the modern version of a Gem adjustable would be more like the Blackland Sabre with different base plates and open comb base plate version for the traditional concept. Just a different shave to shake up a MMMonday for my self.
Razor: MMFW, bullet tip,Guiding eye....Mfg 1947-50
Razor: MMCP,(Peerless Variant)-Mfg 1945
Razor: MMOC -1932-41
Razor: -BMMOC(bumpless variant)-Mfg 1930-32
Blade:Gem Personna SS PTFE(9) great blade in all respects.
Soap: Proraso green
Brush: Omega Boar brush- nice brush when broken in.
Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep:Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups. MMFW (WTG)+MMCP(XTG)+MM OC(ATG)+ -BMMOC(pick ups)
Postshave: Proraso Green aftershave lotion with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Micromatics this MMMonday.
MMMonday, July 20th 2020 (2).jpg

............Gem aggression range..................................................Gem proto type.......................................

Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg
025_zps53313514 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
MMOC / New Personna GEM Blade
Dove+ Men Pre-Shave (nearly 4 days growth, so a bit of extra prep)
Stirling Electric Sheep / RR 26mm Monster
Alum Block - Yep, shouldn't have used a new blade in the MMOC
Mentholated Witch Hazel
Pacific Shaving Caffeinated AS Balm
Spritz of Halston

Super close, but I paid the price, and should have used that blade in the Bullet Tip for a shave or two first, then moved it to the MMOC. Oddly, it doesn't occur with a blade from the 100 Packs, just those in the 10-Pack from the plastic holder.

@Ron R - What's that black handled razor in the last photo? It looks kind of like the Pushbutton, but with both buttons on the back and the head is different.

For my thread anniversary shave today it was the first SE razor I tried and the one that brought me to this thread; the "bumpless" Micromatic Open Comb (BMMOC).
IMG_20200720_065904-01.jpeg

GEM BMMOC /GEM Persona SS PTFE
Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Limes
Rick Montalvo
TOBS Eaton College

As usual, a great shave with this razor. Happy Anniversary to the Micromatic Monday Thread and all those that appreciate these great razors!

(Bullet Tip inbound today for next Monday's shave.)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
@Ron R - What's that black handled razor in the last photo? It looks kind of like the Pushbutton, but with both buttons on the back and the head is different.

For my thread anniversary shave today it was the first SE razor I tried and the one that brought me to this thread; the "bumpless" Micromatic Open Comb (BMMOC).
View attachment 1128039
GEM BMMOC /GEM Persona SS PTFE
Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Limes
Rick Montalvo
TOBS Eaton College

As usual, a great shave with this razor. Happy Anniversary to the Micromatic Monday Thread and all those that appreciate these great razors!

(Bullet Tip inbound today for next Monday's shave.)
Nice shave gear this morning!
From my understanding this razor was but up on _bay years ago and was made by Gem for experimental purposes. The person who won the auction of the razor claimed it shaved OK. I think all razor mfg's were playing around with proto types to keep up with the new trends. At the time Gillette was experimenting with their different adjustable variants(toggle,bottom dial, 195 fatboy) so it would be natural for Gem to do the same. I have seen some neat razors that Schick also experimented with from a fellow on another forum.

Happy Anniversary !

Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb Gold
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20200719_081955.jpg

0720201016.jpg

Razor: MMOC no bumps/ CVS carbon steel (3)
Brush: Yaqi 24 high mountain badger-
this brush is new to me; I picked it up from a member and had forgot I ordered one from West Coast Shaving, so now I have two:001_rolle. Not bad for an initial go. We'll see how it breaks in.
Cream: TOBS Jermyn Street
AS: Alum block and wash, SanBorn's Orange Blossom-
one of a group of aftershaves I picked up a few years ago while in Mexico. They sure know how to make stuff down there for hot weather!

First time using this MMOC, more aggressive than the other MM razors I used over the last few weeks, very nice close shave.

9.9/10

IMG_4509.JPG

July 20, 2020 - Micromatic Monday

Brush:
TDR V3 Fanchurian
Razor: GEM Micromatic (OC)
Blade: GEM PTFE (5)
Lather: Australian Private Reserve/Southern Witchcrafts - Gravefruit - Soap (Vegan)
Post Shave: Barrister and Mann - Fougère Angelique - Aftershave

This razor was not as aggressive as I was expecting, which is a good thing. It plowed through 2 days' growth no problem. However, I'm not sure this is one that I could use as a daily driver.

Top Bottom