What's new

Micromatic Monday

The whole ASR family of razors is great. I'm doing my best to collect as many as I can. I don't think I'm even half way there. And I have A LOT of razors. Well at least to my wife it seems like
AA LLLOOTT.

Enjoy the Journey and feel free to ask questions. This is a stellar group of guys with many very knowledgeable participants.

I had lots of questions and Flintstone has been very kind to answer many of them for me. I'm sure I'll have more in the future as I continue to learn about and try out these old razors.

I always have questions. Once I take an interest in something I like to have all the correct information in case I have to pass it on to someone else. God forbid I tell someone that a 1912 is a 1914 Shovelhead.
Anyway, my newest question is...where does this thread classify Valet razors that don’t accept GEM blades? The Valets seem to be a bit of an orphaned cur that don’t have a day of the week to themselves that starts with a Vee.

Gorgeous, and definitely a 1924. Sorry for the late response.
Thank you for your patience helping me get myself sorted out. Those are just the EBay pictures. I always hold my breath until the actual object is in my hand so as not to get let down when it arrives. So far I’ve had a pretty good run of luck except for the 1912 that has a snapped off blade retainer on one side. Luckily there is just enough left to keep the blade in place for shaving.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I always have questions. Once I take an interest in something I like to have all the correct information in case I have to pass it on to someone else. God forbid I tell someone that a 1912 is a 1914 Shovelhead.
Anyway, my newest question is...where does this thread classify Valet razors that don’t accept GEM blades? The Valets seem to be a bit of an orphaned cur that don’t have a day of the week to themselves that starts with a Vee.
I'm the same way with interest and questions. As to Valet (and Autostrops) the go-to thread for information is: AutoStrop/Valet Razors: A Typology in 13 Parts....it's not a "regular posting/use" thread, but it has some great info. You could always start a thread -- although I don't know that you can find a day of the week that will get you the alliteration of "Micromatic Monday", "Tech Tuesday", or "Fatboy Friday". And we try to keep this thread "pure" with only American Safety Razors (ASR) razors (Gem, Ever-Ready, Star and Treet), and really only those ASR razors that took/take the Gem blade. At some point this week I'll be posting a little retrospective on how (I think) this thread expanded from just "Micromatics" to the broader class of Gems, to the "mother ship" of ASR.

I will say that you will see non-ASR razors here as we do encourage "Daily Doubles", basically the use of multiple razors during a shave....and as along as at least one of the razors is an ASR, then any of the other SE, DE or SR razors are welcome to "tag along".

I also want to call out this thread started by @Ron R : Gem Razor Models -- it's another excellent thread with info on these razors. Keep asking questions and we'll do our best to answer them. ;)

Uh oh!

I am suddenly worried that I have committed an infraction. My "The New GEM Safety Razor" is obviously a GEM. And it does take a GEM blade. But it's a GEM wedge blade, not the usual flat blade with an attached/pressed spine. Does it qualify for this thread since it's a "GEM blade" or should I be posting those shaves in the lather catcher thread?

Flintstone65

Uh oh!

I am suddenly worried that I have committed an infraction. My "The New GEM Safety Razor" is obviously a GEM. And it does take a GEM blade. But it's a GEM wedge blade, not the usual flat blade with an attached/pressed spine. Does it qualify for this thread since it's a "GEM blade" or should I be posting those shaves in the lather catcher thread?
I misspoke above, it's any ASR razor that takes a "GEM-style" blade. Wedge blades are (at least in my mind) the original GEM blades. I've been trying to simplify this, but I always seem to make it more complicated :laugh:. It was pointed out to me when I ruled against the Pal (also an ASR company) Injectomatic by requiring a "Gem Style" blade, I had also taken out my beloved GEM Zinn Automatic (my Avatar) from being accepted here (at least by itself) :facep: The Zinn is *probably* the first GEM-made disposable blade (pre-cursor to the Damaskeene). It came out in 1905 and was thought (by some) to be an attempt at competing with Gillette's razor (back then it would be the Double Ring). The original blade resembles an Enders/Christy/Mark Cross blade with a thickness and length similar to an injector blade, but with a deeper width/depth and two small "ears". The Zinn clamps the blade tightly so an injector blade can be used and held in place even without the "ears".

So GEM wedge blades are fine....they were made by GEM and are (IMO) Gem-style blades. This is a perfect tee-up for how we got here from "Micromatic Monday", but I'll need to post that bit of trivia/history later. Oh, and if you think of it, please consider posting in both places (I know it's kind of a hassle), but the TALC (Lather Catcher thread) would definitely appreciate your wedge shaves as well. :001_smile

Flintstone65

Welcome aboard to both of you. I've been busy so I'm a little late. And if anyone else is new and I didn't personally say hello I apologize.
I hope you all enjoy this thread as much as I do. @Flintstone65 has done a stellar job of promoting and overseeing this thread since Twelvefret passed the torch on to him. For those who don't know Twelvefret started this thread almost two years ago. He is a freind of Flintstone65 and I as well as several others who frequent this thread. He is doing well as of recent communication between him and I but he no longer is registered on this forum. Before he left he had shifted focus to other razor types but still enjoys the wonderful world of SEs. Flintstone65 graciously took the torch and has lit the way for many a member on there jurny down the rabbit hole I mean path that is the wonderful world of ASR family razors. The thread was originally dedicated to just the Micromatics wich consist of just three main razors The Micromatic Open Comb ( MMOC ), Micromatic Clog Proof ( MMCP)
And Micromatic Bullet Tip ( MMCP ) each razor has sub variants and several nick names. ( I wont get into that right now for the sake of not making this post a mile long. ) later the thread was expanded to all Gem razors then again to all Gem bladed ASR family razors.
I hope everyone with an MMOC will be able to join in on next Micromatic Monday's MMOC parade and honor Twelvefret and @Flintstone65 for there dedication to these wonderful razors.
Thank you for the VERY kind words, my friend!!! :blush:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD- like to use my real McCoy Gem 1912 Damaskeene OC every once in a while because it is a great razor, it is milder mid range with good efficiency. This razor is what started Gem to produce millions of improved variant models of the 1912 over the decades and other American.Safety.Razor brand names used this razor head also for sales but stamped their brand on it.

Razor: Gem 1912 OC - Mfg 1912-17, excellent razor, 3 pass with pickups will deliver a close shave for myself.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) excellent blade, very sharp, excellent cost per 100pcs, very predictable smoothing out when using.(I like to use a milder Gem razor for the first few shaves to take advantage of the sharpness.)
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- great citrus scent with good lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24 mm systhetic- Excellent brush for bowl lathering, soft tips, have used it for the last 3 1/2 yrs with enjoyment.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Gem 1912 OC.

SE SOTD, Thur, July 16th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

So a few words on this thread -- yeah, right....Flintstone and a "few words"....not very likely, I know :laugh: . First of all, I met Twelvefret a couple of years ago when I had started to explore the weird world of Single Edge razors. I had fallen hard down a DE rabbit hole, and as I started searching for "DE versus SE" type threads, I ran across a thread of a gentleman (Twelvefret) waxing eloquent on the great shaves he was getting from his Schick E2. I made one of those "happy to hear you're enjoying that razor, looks nice....." cursory type comments, and Twelvefret immediately engaged. He started as a DE guy, but was really impressed with the Schick shaves, and he REALLY wanted me to try a vintage Schick. I tried backing away and he just kept coming....he sent me a PM of a vintage Schick E3 for sale, which had a low price, but had a "make an offer" on it, so I threw a low-ball bid and figured I could tell this nice-but-persistent guy that I had tried....the seller immediately accepted and I was now the owner of a vintage Schick. And it was indeed an awesome shaver.

That's how I initially met Twelvefret, and I immediately started following his lead....the next stop was Micromatics....specifically the Micromatic Open Comb. While Twelvefret really liked his E2, he was over the moon with the MMOC. It was so well made, shaved great, and it was a tiny fraction of the price of a similarly-aged Gillette TTO. The MMOC had so impressed him that he wanted to get the word out to everyone about these vintage GEMs and thus started the Micromatic Monday thread. I was surprised that when I went back through this thread looking for my first post, it took me a long time to try and post a Micromatic; but then I remembered that I was buying razors by the dozens, and I was constantly behind in trying them. So my first Micromatic (which was my 2nd SE, but my first Gem-style SE) was on Oct 31, 2018 (Halloween), over 3 months from the thread start date.

While I was bit slow to get started, once I did, I couldn't stop. And Twelvefret discovered a 1958 GEM Christmas offering, the Push Button (Gold top). He loved the way it looked and shaved, and so Micromatic Monday started really becoming GEM Monday -- I believe it was @Ron R who coined the term GEMonday. I introduced the first Star razor, and initially just posted it (with Twelvefret's encouragement) as a "sorry I missed Micromatic Monday, but here's what I used". It wasn't until much later (over a year) that discussions of GEM "cousins" (really just initially the Ever-Ready's) got us collectively including the "occasional" non-GEM branded razors with familial ties. Twelvfret was a "big tent" person with an explorer's curiosity and an encouraging personality, so we had lots of different razors show up on the thread from lots of folks. So the thread expanded from Micromatics to GEMs, and then ultimately the ASR family of razors.

It was mid-December of 2018 (I still have the PM) that Twelvefret asked if I would take over the "Micromatic Monday" thread. The duties were simple: send out the weekly reminders and encourage everyone to keep spreading the word on these marvelous razors. I was honored to be asked, and I continue to be honored to be part of our GEM community. I miss my friend, but I know he is happily pursuing other ventures, and I will be forever grateful for his encouragement and persistence in getting me to explore single edge razors.

Walt Disney once said of his many entertainment achievements, "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing — that it was all started by a mouse." As we think back to all of the incredible people we've met here, the friendships we've made, and as we continue to pursue and share our common interests, I hope we never lose sight that it was all started by a razor....the magnificent Micromatic.

Ron R

So a few words on this thread -- yeah, right....Flintstone and a "few words"....not very likely, I know :laugh: . First of all, I met Twelvefret a couple of years ago when I had started to explore the weird world of Single Edge razors. I had fallen hard down a DE rabbit hole, and as I started searching for "DE versus SE" type threads, I ran across a thread of a gentleman (Twelvefret) waxing eloquent on the great shaves he was getting from his Schick E2. I made one of those "happy to hear you're enjoying that razor, looks nice....." cursory type comments, and Twelvefret immediately engaged. He started as a DE guy, but was really impressed with the Schick shaves, and he REALLY wanted me to try a vintage Schick. I tried backing away and he just kept coming....he sent me a PM of a vintage Schick E3 for sale, which had a low price, but had a "make an offer" on it, so I threw a low-ball bid and figured I could tell this nice-but-persistent guy that I had tried....the seller immediately accepted and I was now the owner of a vintage Schick. And it was indeed an awesome shaver.

That's how I initially met Twelvefret, and I immediately started following his lead....the next stop was Micromatics....specifically the Micromatic Open Comb. While Twelvefret really liked his E2, he was over the moon with the MMOC. It was so well made, shaved great, and it was a tiny fraction of the price of a similarly-aged Gillette TTO. The MMOC had so impressed him that he wanted to get the word out to everyone about these vintage GEMs and thus started the Micromatic Monday thread. I was surprised that when I went back through this thread looking for my first post, it took me a long time to try and post a Micromatic; but then I remembered that I was buying razors by the dozens, and I was constantly behind in trying them. So my first Micromatic (which was my 2nd SE, but my first Gem-style SE) was on Oct 31, 2018 (Halloween), over 3 months from the thread start date.

While I was bit slow to get started, once I did, I couldn't stop. And Twelvefret discovered a 1958 GEM Christmas offering, the Push Button (Gold top). He loved the way it looked and shaved, and so Micromatic Monday started really becoming GEM Monday -- I believe it was @Ron R who coined the term GEMonday. I introduced the first Star razor, and initially just posted it (with Twelvefret's encouragement) as a "sorry I missed Micromatic Monday, but here's what I used". It wasn't until much later (over a year) that discussions of GEM "cousins" (really just initially the Ever-Ready's) got us collectively including the "occasional" non-GEM branded razors with familial ties. Twelvfret was a "big tent" person with an explorer's curiosity and an encouraging personality, so we had lots of different razors show up on the thread from lots of folks. So the thread expanded from Micromatics to GEMs, and then ultimately the ASR family of razors.

It was mid-December of 2018 (I still have the PM) that Twelvefret asked if I would take over the "Micromatic Monday" thread. The duties were simple: send out the weekly reminders and encourage everyone to keep spreading the word on these marvelous razors. I was honored to be asked, and I continue to be honored to be part of our GEM community. I miss my friend, but I know he is happily pursuing other ventures, and I will be forever grateful for his encouragement and persistence in getting me to explore single edge razors.

Walt Disney once said of his many entertainment achievements, "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing — that it was all started by a mouse." As we think back to all of the incredible people we've met here, the friendships we've made, and as we continue to pursue and share our common interests, I hope we never lose sight that it was all started by a razor....the magnificent Micromatic.
The nice thing about @Twelvefret he was into a lot of different ways to shave & would some how dig up good information on topics & keep it interesting IMO. Oh he is still out there on some of the other forums that I enjoy and still uses his Micromatics.

Flintstone65

The elephant in the room is why he left.
No elephant. Stuff happens.....people change, places change. Prolific posters I remember from my earliest days are here one minute and seemingly gone the next. Some jump, some are pushed, but regardless of the "why", folks generally (and ultimately) land at a place where they want or need to be. I say "generally", since I can't really know; but having stayed in touch with Twelvefret outside of any forum, I can honestly say he's fine. He still shaves, but I think his exploration days are mostly behind him and some other things have caught his attention. When he asked me to take over here, he was really gravitating over to straight razors; but as @Ron R said, I know he still uses his E2 and GEMs, and I can't imagine anyone prying them from his hands. :001_smile

As for me, I'm NEVER leaving....moooooo-ha-haaaaa!!!! Never I say...N-E-V-E- :a9:

No elephant. Stuff happens.....people change, places change. Prolific posters I remember from my earliest days are here one minute and seemingly gone the next. Some jump, some are pushed, but regardless of the "why", folks generally (and ultimately) land at a place where they want or need to be. I say "generally", since I can't really know; but having stayed in touch with Twelvefret outside of any forum, I can honestly say he's fine. He still shaves, but I think his exploration days are mostly behind him and some other things have caught his attention. When he asked me to take over here, he was really gravitating over to straight razors; but as @Ron R said, I know he still uses his E2 and GEMs, and I can't imagine anyone prying them from his hands. :001_smile

As for me, I'm NEVER leaving....moooooo-ha-haaaaa!!!! Never I say...N-E-V-E- :a9:
Thanks for explaining that, even though it is not my business. I apologize for that post, which was without justification. I can see where one could just get to the point where you just want quiet enjoyment of what you have. Time will tell in my case. I get no encouragement around home as no one I know gets having a razor collection. This forum is the only shaving forum that I have joined. I am not sure why I chose this one, I guess because of understanding people like you.

never is a dangerous word my friend.......and must be wielded with great thought and contemplation. applicable to a lot of things in life. lol

camo

Ron R

SE SOTD, Sat, July 18th 2020

Razor: Everready 1924 (AKA -shovel head) streamline strop handle- Mfg 1924-33, very nice mid range SE razor.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(8) great all around blade.
Soap: Tabac- great lather qualities with it's legendary scent that I enjoy. Used by millions since 1959.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm synthetic with black marble handle- excellent brush for creating lather with soft tips.
Pre Shave: Brush wash whole face with Cerave hand bar cleanser + dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Avon True gent with witch hazel + a dollop of Avon True gent balm.
Results:CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: great shave with my ER 1924 shovel head.

SE SOTD, Sat, July 18th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

SE SOTD, Sat, July 18th 2020

Razor: Everready 1924 (AKA -shovel head) streamline strop handle- Mfg 1924-33, very nice mid range SE razor.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(8) great all around blade.
Soap: Tabac- great lather qualities with it's legendary scent that I enjoy. Used by millions since 1959.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm synthetic with black marble handle- excellent brush for creating lather with soft tips.
Pre Shave: Brush wash whole face with Cerave hand bar cleanser + dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Avon True gent with witch hazel + a dollop of Avon True gent balm.
Results:CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: great shave with my ER 1924 shovel head.

SE SOTD, Sat, July 18th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!
Beautiful gear!!! I was telling someone the other day that I'm not overly tempted by the ER Streamline based on the reviews I've heard (a bit more towards the aggressive side than I'm looking for these days); but man, I L-O-V-E the handles....and using the strop handle on another razor....well that is just inspired!!!

Ron R

Beautiful gear!!! I was telling someone the other day that I'm not overly tempted by the ER Streamline based on the reviews I've heard (a bit more towards the aggressive side than I'm looking for these days); but man, I L-O-V-E the handles....and using the strop handle on another razor....well that is just inspired!!!
Hello Fred @Flintstone65 I enjoy the Everready 1912, ER 1914, ER 1924 (nice mid range give or take) but for what ever reason the Streamline is a hard one to figure out for me. The Streamline is a little more aggressive than the above mentioned, some fellows can crank out nice smooth shaves with them they have mentioned. It has a large sweet spot angle because the blade sits forward a lot more than other models IMO. I might have to experiment a little more with it at a steeper angle approach??

Top Bottom