What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Hello Fred @Flintstone65 I enjoy the Everready 1912, ER 1914, ER 1924 (nice mid range give or take) but for what ever reason the Streamline is a hard one to figure out for me. The Streamline is a little more aggressive than the above mentioned, some fellows can crank out nice smooth shaves with them they have mentioned. It has a large sweet spot angle because the blade sits forward a lot more than other models IMO. I might have to experiment a little more with it at a steeper angle approach??
That is good to know, and it re-confirms my thoughts on hunting one down. Were it not so rare'ish (or so often "pricey"), I'd probably take the leap....and I wouldn't leave one behind in the "wild" if I were ever lucky enough to stumble upon a reasonably priced one. But aside from the looks (and I do find them VERY attractive), they are not calling to me based on their shave-reputation.

That said, if anyone can tame the Streamline and master it's secrets, I know it is you....so please keep us posted.

Flintstone65

I also want to take a moment and remind everyone that Micromatic Monday is right around the corner, and to celebrate the 2-year anniversary of this thread, those of us with a Micromatic will be using that on Monday. If you don't have a Micromatic, then choose a Gem, if you don't have a Gem, then another "Gem-Style" American Safety Razor (ASR) will absolutely work (i.e., Ever-Ready, Star or Treet).

This may seem like an early announcement/reminder, but some of you early veterans of the thread may remember that we always did (or tried to do) a 48-hour announcement.

Thanks for explaining that, even though it is not my business. I apologize for that post, which was without justification. I can see where one could just get to the point where you just want quiet enjoyment of what you have. Time will tell in my case. I get no encouragement around home as no one I know gets having a razor collection. This forum is the only shaving forum that I have joined. I am not sure why I chose this one, I guess because of understanding people like you.

We are glad to have you.
I can see where you got the impression that he had past. At least I think that's what you thought.
After all we are talking about a friend who isn't around any more. We just didn't make it clear that he is around just not around this forums.

Beautiful gear!!! I was telling someone the other day that I'm not overly tempted by the ER Streamline based on the reviews I've heard (a bit more towards the aggressive side than I'm looking for these days); but man, I L-O-V-E the handles....and using the strop handle on another razor....well that is just inspired!!!

I'd love to try a Streamline or Gem Jewel. I just haven't seen one anywhere near my price range.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
We are glad to have you.
I can see where you got the impression that he had past. At least I think that's what you thought.
After all we are talking about a friend who isn't around any more. We just didn't make it clear that he is around just not around this forums.

I'd love to try a Streamline or Gem Jewel. I just haven't seen one anywhere near my price range.
I had to go over the pond to get mine, with the dollar strong you can purchase one or set at reasonable price I would think. Good luck in your search.

My first Gem shave today. An MMOC I picked up recently. Had some trouble finding blades at first but a generous member sent me a few Gem ptfe blades, then I found out I can order them into the Walgreens by my wife's work although I'm not sure if they are PTFE or not they are Gem SS. Anyways my first shave went decent. Very close on my cheeks and most of my neck and only a little irritation, in areas I struggle with frequently. I think my first pass went really well, then either the angle got away from me or I used a little pressure when I shouldn't have. Either way for my first SE saftey razor shave it went pretty good.
View attachment 942142

Above is my first post in this thread.
It's been a fun adventure. And my collection has grown quite a bit in the year and a half since my first Gem shave. The ASR family razors actually make up a big chunk of my overall collection.
There are many great members in this thread. And I want to thank Twelvefret and @Flintstone65 for there part in my SE jurny. I'll be reaching out to Twelvefret through text as I do on occasion and I'll let him know you all say Hi.

I am planning on using the MMOC tomorrow since it was the first razor posted here. I may include multiple Micromatics. I don't think I'll be doing a repeat of my 9 razor shave any time soon. See below for that one. And I don't think I want to use all my current ASR razors in one shave. I don't think I have enough hair to be shaved for that.

@Tanuki Ok I got really silly this morning. But I did also discover a way to make the scent of Arko tolerable. I mixed a little bit of Arko with some Cremo Cooling.

Here are the tools of choice for today's shave.

View attachment 966522 View attachment 966523 View attachment 966524 View attachment 966525

All 6 of my Gems an Eveready and a Star. Just for the front of the neck and the cheeks (I Have a beard) all with the second use Pal carbon blade for the first pass. Then switched to the gem ptfe 13th use in the Bullet tip for second pass and clean up.
Quickly ditched the old blade, threw in a new one and finished up. Then grabbed the Schick g and took care of the back of neck. So 9 razors and 4 blades used for one shave.

Loaded up and ready to go. BMMOC for me Monday.

And @VisceralWatch, I don't find the MMOC all that aggressive. A little more so than my DE89, but significantly less so than my Gillette Old Type. Just remember to keep the big, flat head close to your skin. Enjoy!
It's curious to me how people's opinions on these GEM razors vary so much. I've heard that the MMOC is near medium aggression (as you say just a little more than a DE89), but then I've also heard from good sources that it's like a 2011 untamed R41!

Flintstone65

And @VisceralWatch, I don't find the MMOC all that aggressive. A little more so than my DE89, but significantly less so than my Gillette Old Type. Just remember to keep the big, flat head close to your skin. Enjoy!
It's curious to me how people's opinions on these GEM razors vary so much. I've heard that the MMOC is near medium aggression (as you say just a little more than a DE89), but then I've also heard from good sources that it's like a 2011 untamed R41!
@VisceralWatch, I know what you mean....most of the comments I had read about the MMOC made me VERY cautious, and I credit that "healthy respect" for the razor during my first shave as providing me with an excellent (dare I say almost mild feeling) very close shave....no irritation, no blood -- based on what I had read, I thought I might bleed-out before the shave was over. But that wasn't the case at all and I completely agree with @RumpleBearskin's assessment: the Gillette Old Types is more aggressive (by a good measure) than the MMOC. And it is definitely NOT anywhere near the R41 (IMO)....that little beast is NOT one of my favorites, although I know several folks who seem to like it.

So go slow, no pressure, razor top/head to the face for the angle (like so many of our Gems) and I think you'll really enjoy it.

Same here! It will be my first time using that particular razor on Monday. To say I'm a bit scared of the aggression level is an understatement :eek2:

Great advice. Also I would advise starting out with zero pressure. You just want to tickle away the lather with just enough contact to remove the lather evenly to start out with. Shallow angle and little to no pressure is how I try to start with any new razor. Well when I'm not shaving on autopilot at least.

@VisceralWatch, I know what you mean....most of the comments I had read about the MMOC made me VERY cautious, and I credit that "healthy respect" for the razor during my first shave as providing me with an excellent (dare I say almost mild feeling) very close shave....no irritation, no blood -- based on what I had read, I thought I might bleed-out before the shave was over. But that wasn't the case at all and I completely agree with @RumpleBearskin's assessment: the Gillette Old Types is more aggressive (by a good measure) than the MMOC. And it is definitely NOT anywhere near the R41 (IMO)....that little beast is NOT one of my favorites, although I know several folks who seem to like it.

So go slow, no pressure, razor top/head to the face for the angle (like so many of our Gems) and I think you'll really enjoy it.

As it is so often you posted this while I was typing my response. I agree completely exempt the part about the R41 Since I have no experience with it to base agreement on.

It's not that agressive, but then I really like the Old Types. This little fellow is waiting for Monday. Bumpless!
20200428_123257.jpg

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It will be my first time using that particular razor on Monday. To say I'm a bit scared of the aggression level is an understatement

Just had my first experience with a GEM razor last night. Micromatic Open Comb (or MMOC). I’m hooked.

go slow, no pressure, razor top/head to the face for the angle

One more thing about expecting it to be like a potato peeler:

If you follow Flintstone65’s advice; and it will serve you well to do so; the Micromatic Open Comb will feel puzzlingly gentle to your skin while wreaking unholy obliteration on your whiskers.

If you’re used to only having hair cut when you feel the blade and compensate for that natural lack, it will give a gentle nip. Let it be gentle to you and it will be gentle. Don’t let the stubble silently leaving you in a mass grave of lather tell you different.

Flintstone65

Good morning all (well, it's morning here) -- it looks like we will have quite a Micromatic tribute. I'll be there with my very first Micromatic Open Comb (with internal "blade bumps")....and for those who cannot be with us tomorrow, I'll also be using my 1930-1932 "bumpless" MMOC. Lastly, my very first SE and razor brought to me by this thread's founder (the Schick E3) will be there for a clean-up pass and/or back of neck shave. All 3 razors are excellent shaving tools, but they also remind me of this thread and the start of my SE shaving journey.

I'm looking forward to reading about the shaves of the folks that have already weighed in, and I hope to see even more Micromatics, GEMs or other GEM-style ASR brands (if you don't have a Micromatic or GEM razor handy).

Micromatic Monday Approaches!!!! :clap:

Lastly, my very first SE and razor brought to me by this thread's founder (the Schick E3) will be there for a clean-up pass and/or back of neck shave. All 3 razors are excellent shaving tools, but they also remind me of this thread and the start of my SE shaving journey.
Please also post to SISSIES! It's getting a bit lonely over there.

Top Bottom