Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
View attachment 1125192

Razor: Gem Damaskeene
Blade: Gem from Walgreens
Soap: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Brush: Yaqi Cosmic Blue Badger-24
AS: Thayers Unscented toner

Excellent shave 9.5/10- DFS+. This razor has been in the cupboard for at least five years, but it shaves rather well. First time I've tried this Cella soap, and for a non-tallow product it's really quite nice. It had adequate slickness, lathered easily and well, cushion was okay, and seems to have a decent post-shave. This Yaqi brush is really too big for the smaller soap tubs; although it says 24, it acts more like 28+ knot. I made a bit of a mess today. I'll need to save this brush for wider tubs in the future.
Wow!!! I have every single one of those items, with only one exception, the Walgreens blade. Excellent choice in gear (if I do say so myself) and I'm not surprised at all that you had such a stellar shave!!!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Instead of my own photos, which I can't readily put my hands on, here is a thread with multiple shots. The thing about the Shovelhead is that it actually opens from the back. There is a clip that flips the head from the back and then there are two internal clips that help hold the blade in place. It's a rather unique looking razor, and an VERY good shaver. Here's that link I mentioned: Ever-Ready 1924/Shovelhead

Instead of my own photos, which I can't readily put my hands on, here is a thread with multiple shots. The thing about the Shovelhead is that it actually opens from the back. There is a clip that flips the head from the back and then there are two internal clips that help hold the blade in place. It's a rather unique looking razor, and an VERY good shaver. Here's that link I mentioned: Ever-Ready 1924/Shovelhead
Thanks for all this great and important information. Now I’m busy looking for a 1924 Shovelhead...or a GEM push button.

A friend is letting me borrow a few vintage SEs for the next week or two and I would have had no idea how to open up the Shovelhead without this info. Thank you!

Razor: MMCP
Blade:Treet
Brush: Erskine #4, 26mm badger
Soap: C.R.S.W.
Aftershave: Nivea

IMG_2426.JPG

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20200713
20200713_173440~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Ted Pella Personna GEM (3)
Brush: @Graydog 'Chubby' w/TNS 26mm Full Moon Knot
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: TOBS Grapefruit
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Fine Italian Citrus
Cologne: Classic Match EdT Spray (clone of Jimmy Choo Man)

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

BBS (Bride Approved) with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Wonderful Micromatic Monday shave! :)

View attachment 1124939

July 13, 2020

Brush:
Zenith B2 (B03-A26)
Razor: GEM Junior
Blade: GEM PTFE (5)
Lather: Declaration Grooming - After the Rain - Soap
Post Shave: Chatillon Lux - La Petite Prairie - Aftershave

Hello fellow SE shavers, here's my Sunday night/Monday morning SOTD. @Flintstone65 told me I should post to this thread! This was my first week of shaving with a GEM Junior and I must say I was very impressed. I already have several others headed my way to try out in the coming weeks. Also, I managed to finish a tub of soap! My first "kill", take a look:

View attachment 1124938

Thanks for all this great and important information. Now I’m busy looking for a 1924 Shovelhead...or a GEM push button.

Welcome aboard to both of you. I've been busy so I'm a little late. And if anyone else is new and I didn't personally say hello I apologize.
I hope you all enjoy this thread as much as I do. @Flintstone65 has done a stellar job of promoting and overseeing this thread since Twelvefret passed the torch on to him. For those who don't know Twelvefret started this thread almost two years ago. He is a freind of Flintstone65 and I as well as several others who frequent this thread. He is doing well as of recent communication between him and I but he no longer is registered on this forum. Before he left he had shifted focus to other razor types but still enjoys the wonderful world of SEs. Flintstone65 graciously took the torch and has lit the way for many a member on there jurny down the rabbit hole I mean path that is the wonderful world of ASR family razors. The thread was originally dedicated to just the Micromatics wich consist of just three main razors The Micromatic Open Comb ( MMOC ), Micromatic Clog Proof ( MMCP)
And Micromatic Bullet Tip ( MMCP ) each razor has sub variants and several nick names. ( I wont get into that right now for the sake of not making this post a mile long. ) later the thread was expanded to all Gem razors then again to all Gem bladed ASR family razors.
I hope everyone with an MMOC will be able to join in on next Micromatic Monday's MMOC parade and honor Twelvefret and @Flintstone65 for there dedication to these wonderful razors.

Welcome aboard to both of you. I've been busy so I'm a little late. And if anyone else is new and I didn't personally say hello I apologize.
I hope you all enjoy this thread as much as I do. @Flintstone65 has done a stellar job of promoting and overseeing this thread since Twelvefret passed the torch on to him. For those who don't know Twelvefret started this thread almost two years ago. He is a freind of Flintstone65 and I as well as several others who frequent this thread. He is doing well as of recent communication between him and I but he no longer is registered on this forum. Before he left he had shifted focus to other razor types but still enjoys the wonderful world of SEs. Flintstone65 graciously took the torch and has lit the way for many a member on there jurny down the rabbit hole I mean path that is the wonderful world of ASR family razors. The thread was originally dedicated to just the Micromatics wich consist of just three main razors The Micromatic Open Comb ( MMOC ), Micromatic Clog Proof ( MMCP)
And Micromatic Bullet Tip ( MMCP ) each razor has sub variants and several nick names. ( I wont get into that right now for the sake of not making this post a mile long. ) later the thread was expanded to all Gem razors then again to all Gem bladed ASR family razors.
I hope everyone with an MMOC will be able to join in on next Micromatic Monday's MMOC parade and honor Twelvefret and @Flintstone65 for there dedication to these wonderful razors.

Sounds like a great legacy to continue here in this thread. I'll do my best to remember to use a Micromatic on Monday :) I'm swimming in new SEs to try out at the moment - a good problem to have!

Ok. I started typing that last post on Monday after my shave. It is now technically Tuesday morning.
Here is my belated post for my Monday shave.

I had an excellent relaxing late shave tonight with the Gem Jr Bar and a new Gem SS PTFE.
This was my third use of Michelle's wool fat and it is progressively getting better.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Sounds like a great legacy to continue here in this thread. I'll do my best to remember to use a Micromatic on Monday :) I'm swimming in new SEs to try out at the moment - a good problem to have!

The whole ASR family of razors is great. I'm doing my best to collect as many as I can. I don't think I'm even half way there. And I have A LOT of razors. Well at least to my wife it seems like
AA LLLOOTT.

Enjoy the Journey and feel free to ask questions. This is a stellar group of guys with many very knowledgeable participants.

Top Bottom