What's new

Micromatic Monday

Thought I would update on my little 1912 I got last monday:

View attachment 1002299

View attachment 1002300
The head and handle didn't get much cleaning, just a nice scrub down. There is quite a bit of plate loss on the handle, but that's ok. The little case, turns out to be solid stamped brass, got an extensive cleaning. First I had to get all the surface dirt and gunk off with dish soap, vinegar, brasso, and lots of elbow grease. After the surface gunk was off I could see the inside was lacquered, and much of that was gone. So I went about stripping the lacquer with an acetone soak. Followed that up with a scrub down with some 0000 steel wool, and then another scrub down with a soft toothbrush and dish soap. Finally took some more brasso to it to give it that final shine. All in all it turned out great. Just some minor stains from years of neglect.

That case is just beautiful, good job.

Wow -- I need to send you some of my razors and cases for cleaning -- well done, sir....VERY well done!!!

I've done quite a bit of restoration work on century old hand tools so those skills come in handy when doing something like this, that and google helps a lot lol. It always gives me a prideful feeling when I bring something back to life after being neglected for decades. That's what drew me to antique tools and now vintage razors. These tools deserve better then to rot and be thrown out.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I've done quite a bit of restoration work on century old hand tools so those skills come in handy when doing something like this, that and google helps a lot lol. It always gives me a prideful feeling when I bring something back to life after being neglected for decades. That's what drew me to antique tools and now vintage razors. These tools deserve better then to rot and be thrown out.
I couldn't have said it better, or agree with you more!!!

Thought I would update on my little 1912 I got last monday:

View attachment 1002299

View attachment 1002300
The head and handle didn't get much cleaning, just a nice scrub down. There is quite a bit of plate loss on the handle, but that's ok. The little case, turns out to be solid stamped brass, got an extensive cleaning. First I had to get all the surface dirt and gunk off with dish soap, vinegar, brasso, and lots of elbow grease. After the surface gunk was off I could see the inside was lacquered, and much of that was gone. So I went about stripping the lacquer with an acetone soak. Followed that up with a scrub down with some 0000 steel wool, and then another scrub down with a soft toothbrush and dish soap. Finally took some more brasso to it to give it that final shine. All in all it turned out great. Just some minor stains from years of neglect.

That looks great. I tried a little on mine and quickly determined the magic eraser wasn't going to cut it. I figured it was worth a try, I cleaned a cast iron woodstove with one a few years ago and it worked unbelievably well.

Antiques are almost always far better quality than what is produced nowadays.
Inspite of all our advancements in technology the greed of so many has driven quality down.

I've gone over almost entirely to my DE razors - R41 and Karve OC E plate. Today I'm re-checking my 3 GEMs - MMOC, MMCP, 1912. I do this from time to time to see if I still want to keep them.

First pass was with my 1912. This was disappointing since there was some irritation and it wasn't as close as my DEs. Second pass and cleanups was with the MMOC. This cut closer, less irritation and better under the nose. So the MMOC is the keeper. I like its balance - it's just very good at what it does. I used the MMCP a little but the blade was dulling a bit so left that for another day. In the past it's been up there with the MMOC.

So the MMOC is the keeper for me. Hardly surprising - it's always the highest rated GEM. I got a good close shave - as good as with my DEs. I bought 200 blades so it should be around a while. One variable is the blade - some are rougher than others on the first cut, but I guess that's just what we have to put up with. There's no viable alternative to the PTFEs.

For me, variety is the spice of life and not just the shave. I got into the GEM razors out of curiosity and was surprised by the effortless shave. I suppose you can get what you want out of any razor if you decide to make it work. Personally, I have no interest in anything modern, but we are not all here with the same motivations.

Judging from the posts, not everyone likes the MMOC. I wish I had an answer for why. I dislike seeing them miss out.

The reason I started the thread was just to enjoy these old relics and talk a bit. It's cool that some of the participants have found and use those 100 year old types. I have enjoyed the photos and shave reports.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've gone over almost entirely to my DE razors - R41 and Karve OC E plate. Today I'm re-checking my 3 GEMs - MMOC, MMCP, 1912. I do this from time to time to see if I still want to keep them.

First pass was with my 1912. This was disappointing since there was some irritation and it wasn't as close as my DEs. Second pass and cleanups was with the MMOC. This cut closer, less irritation and better under the nose. So the MMOC is the keeper. I like its balance - it's just very good at what it does. I used the MMCP a little but the blade was dulling a bit so left that for another day. In the past it's been up there with the MMOC.

So the MMOC is the keeper for me. Hardly surprising - it's always the highest rated GEM. I got a good close shave - as good as with my DEs. I bought 200 blades so it should be around a while. One variable is the blade - some are rougher than others on the first cut, but I guess that's just what we have to put up with. There's no viable alternative to the PTFEs.
I would guess it depends on your beard type what razor gives best results, I would never sell my GEM 1912 razor for my beard type. Thick beard and the MMOC will treat you well no doubt, it is one of the more aggressive GEM razors IMO.
GEM Razor Cluster review 2019 (2).jpg
Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) is rapidly approaching :a50:....who will join me?!? My plan is a Micromatic Monday and a Lunes Legion Extranjera. For my Micromatic Monday it will be my bumpless MMOC -- for those joining me, what will your GEM of choice be? And remember, it's not just for Micromatics, all GEMs are welcome.

Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) is rapidly approaching :a50:....who will join me?!? My plan is a Micromatic Monday and a Lunes Legion Extranjera. For my Micromatic Monday it will be my bumpless MMOC -- for those joining me, what will your GEM of choice be? And remember, it's not just for Micromatics, all GEMs are welcome.

Not sure about Monday yet, I broke out the MMBT today after yard work and shower today because it was the only razor in the bathroom with a blade in it. :) Wound up with a particularly good shave. Proraso green cream for lather and the same splash afterwards. Felt good on this hot day.

Flintstone65

Not sure about Monday yet, I broke out the MMBT today after yard work and shower today because it was the only razor in the bathroom with a blade in it. :) Wound up with a particularly good shave. Proraso green cream for lather and the same splash afterwards. Felt good on this hot day.
Hope to see you Monday, but REALLY glad to hear it was a good shave with the MMBT today! I skipped shaving today and will tomorrow -- I've been trying out a new razor, and it is VERY efficient....so much so that I'm scared to shave with it between now and Monday.

For me, variety is the spice of life and not just the shave. I got into the GEM razors out of curiosity and was surprised by the effortless shave. I suppose you can get what you want out of any razor if you decide to make it work. Personally, I have no interest in anything modern, but we are not all here with the same motivations.

Judging from the posts, not everyone likes the MMOC. I wish I had an answer for why. I dislike seeing them miss out.

The reason I started the thread was just to enjoy these old relics and talk a bit. It's cool that some of the participants have found and use those 100 year old types. I have enjoyed the photos and shave reports.

I know you have some beautiful old straight razors, what is your oldest safety razor?

Flintstone65

Yes they would my friend. ;)
I know you're right...and I must admit that I do have several Wade & Butcher items that are truly excellent cutters -- they are wood gouges (rounded-end chisel), and I may also have some straight edge chisels. Amazing steel...they are tricky to sharpen given the curve, but they hold an edge for a good long time....especially against hard woods.

Ummm, did I misunderstand the question -- or are straights considered "safety" razors? It's a beautiful razor, but I can't say that I'd be "safe" with it in my shakey hand. :lol:

I guess I should have made better separation between a comment about @Twelvefret s straight razor collection being nice and asking about his safety razor collection.

Top Bottom