What's new

Merkur vs EJ DE89 vs Muhle R89 vs Parker 98R

The EJ DE89 and the Mühle R89 have the same head, the difference is in the handle - the former has a solid handle, the latter a hollow one. I bought and sold the EJ as I didn't like the added weight; I'm now more than happy with the Mühle.

Why would different companies use the same head...????

Why would different companies use the same head...????

Obie: The story going around is that the German Muhle makes the Edwin Jagger razor shave head. Is this correct or is it just falacy?

Neil: Actually we hear this a lot. This is not correct at all. It was Andreas Muller — new to the Muhle Company at the time — and myself who teamed up to search for potential contract manufacturers before we started to design a two-part head that suited both company’s needs. It was a very exciting time as we exchanged numerous sketches and CAD drawings with alteration after alteration. Ultimately my determination to keep improving the underside of the DE base plate — clean and uncluttered — allowed us to agree on a new design that was really quite different from anything else we had seen already on the market. Once we had approved the drawings we both committed to prototyping costs and shared the complicated tooling costs, which were at that time considerable.

Obie: This then, once and for all, erases the currently held belief that Muhle designs and produces the Edwin Jagger shave head.

Neil: Having actively been involved in the design, trialing and final prototyping, just like Andreas, I view the DE head as part Edwin Jagger design. We do not rely on Muhle for supplies to fulfill our growing sales. Our components come direct from our tools and we determine availability, our own production runs and Edwin Jagger quality control.

I have used and continue to use all three Parker heads--TTO, OC, and SB. Great razors, though I prefer the aggressiveness of the SB head.

Top Bottom