What's new

Merkur vs EJ DE89 vs Muhle R89 vs Parker 98R

Don't have a 98r but do have a 91r and a 99r. I like both of them and they get used regularly. I have a large rotation so it's not often but when their turn comes up, I enjoy the shaves.

Never had a problem with mine and find the newer models have greatly improved quality control. Nice razors.

The Muhle R89 ( I own it. Replaced the EJ with it!). It is superior in grip and feel to the EJ ( even the lined one). Others have commented on the grip issues. It's not just me. I think others who have commented on vintage razors are not sticking to your question. I love Gillettes and own several. I also love the Muhle R89 and to answer your question about the 4 you mentioned, it is the absolute best choice. You will not be disappointed. It's like shaving with a modern work of art.

I know it costs more $$ than the EJ and has the same head. I think the difference in cost is worth it. The EJ, despite all the love, just would not work for me. I'm not messy. The handle just didn't have a good grip. I simply could not shave with the grip and control that I desire. In comparison to my Redtip, Fatboy, Aristocrat, Bull Mastiff, Krona.... well...sorry... the EJ just didn't handle as well. That issue was solved, at least for me, With the R89. Just my opinion, which cost nothing more than the time to read..:001_cool:

The Muhle R89 ( I own it. Replaced the EJ with it!). It is superior in grip and feel to the EJ ( even the lined one). Others have commented on the grip issues. It's not just me. I think others who have commented on vintage razors are not sticking to your question. I love Gillettes and own several. I also love the Muhle R89 and to answer your question about the 4 you mentioned, it is the absolute best choice. You will not be disappointed. It's like shaving with a modern work of art.

I know it costs more $$ than the EJ and has the same head. I think the difference in cost is worth it. The EJ, despite all the love, just would not work for me. I'm not messy. The handle just didn't have a good grip. I simply could not shave with the grip and control that I desire. In comparison to my Redtip, Fatboy, Aristocrat, Bull Mastiff, Krona.... well...sorry... the EJ just didn't handle as well. That issue was solved, at least for me, With the R89. Just my opinion, which cost nothing more than the time to read..:001_cool:

I have the EJ89L, and the Muhle R41 on which I sometimes switch the head to the closed, and I find the lined handle far grippier than the Muhle. Quality is so good that I'm happy to have both though.

David

If you want looks go for a ej but if you want performance stick with the merkur. You could try the 34c which is one lovely razor or if you are more adventurous go for the merkur slant which is totally awesome but again YMMV

EJ DE89 all the way....it is the smoothest shaver out there, imho..No Joke....and you'd be hard pressed to find anything better for.the price, considering its the same razor as the muhle for nearly 30-40% cheaper..

Seriously, I have wire bristle for a beard, and coupled with Feather blades, this thing is astonishingly smooth and effective...rarely a nick or weeper....people say its mild as its not as "agressive" as an open comb, or slant, but then again, aggressive is overrated..there is plenty of blade exposure to be very effective, and it will cut you, so that means its getting skin, if its getting to your skin that means its more than enough for a BBS shave. You just need to know your beard and which direction it grows.Why in the world would I want to have to be careful with an overly aggresive razor, when I can literally fly over my face with this thing..

Again YMMV, and this is just my opinion, having tried a few different types of razors, I stopped, buyin n tryin and realized I can't get anymore comfort and closeness than w/ the de89....

P.S I moved on to straights, because im enjoying the challenge of honing, etc..but when I need a failsafe close, irritation free shave, I go to my ej

Last edited:
the parker 98r was my first DE i still use it fairly often it gives me a good shave, the bigger handle is good if you have big clumsy hands like me

I have the EJ89L Barley handle. Bought it on the very wise recommendations from this site as well as my brother, an experienced wet shaver. Its a wonderful razor and a sheer joy to use. The barley handle seems to add to the grip and minimize slippage. Rubbing a bit of alum on your hand will help with potential slippage as well.

EJ DE89 all the way....it is the smoothest shaver out there, imho..No Joke....and you'd be hard pressed to find anything better for.the price, considering its the same razor as the muhle for nearly 30-40% cheaper..

Seriously, I have wire bristle for a beard, and coupled with Feather blades, this thing is astonishingly smooth and effective...rarely a nick or weeper....people say its mild as its not as "agressive" as an open comb, or slant, but then again, aggressive is overrated..there is plenty of blade exposure to be very effective, and it will cut you, so that means its getting skin, if its getting to your skin that means its more than enough for a BBS shave. You just need to know your beard and which direction it grows.Why in the world would I want to have to be careful with an overly aggresive razor, when I can literally fly over my face with this thing..

Again YMMV, and this is just my opinion, having tried a few different types of razors, I stopped, buyin n tryin and realized I can't get anymore comfort and closeness than w/ the de89....

P.S I moved on to straights, because im enjoying the challenge of honing, etc..but when I need a failsafe close, irritation free shave, I go to my ej

My exact same thoughts (well, minus the P.S. that is).
Never had any issue with the handle being slippery (mine is a barley one), and the absolute smoothest and closest shaves every time. Bought an R41 a couple of weeks ago to see if it was even better on my coarse beard but of course it wasn't. No real problems but just an overall rough shave with that one for me (it actually tugged and pulled on a first shave with a feather). So I guess that I am pretty set razor wise (maybe buy one or two reserves) for the rest of my life. Which is a good thing considering the other AD's (blades, after shave, soap, etc.). Can't comment on the Mühle R89 but if it's the EJ89 head with the R41 handle then I'd buy an EJ one since I like the added weight and looks.

I have an EJ89L, a Merkur HD, and have used an Muhle 89 (bought it for my dad and tried it out for him for a couple weeks prior)... I like the handle on the Muhle best, the 89 head is slightly more aggressive than the HD is, but still smooth. the HD has a shorter handle, makes it a bit easier to maneuver but my larger hands prefer the longer Muhle handle (which has a bit of a knurl to it that the EJ89L does not have). I find the HD a bit easier to get into some of my finicky areas, like the corners of my nostrils, but the 89's get there ok, just have to be slightly more diligent with em and a bit more careful. I can get the same shave out of either head design. since getting the 89L it has been my daily driver razor (I used Astra SP's in my razors, works great for ME in both HD and 89 heads) but I may try the HD again tonite cuz I haven't used it in a few weeks since getting my 89L.

My exact same thoughts (well, minus the P.S. that is).
Never had any issue with the handle being slippery (mine is a barley one), and the absolute smoothest and closest shaves every time. Bought an R41 a couple of weeks ago to see if it was even better on my coarse beard but of course it wasn't. No real problems but just an overall rough shave with that one for me (it actually tugged and pulled on a first shave with a feather). So I guess that I am pretty set razor wise (maybe buy one or two reserves) for the rest of my life. Which is a good thing considering the other AD's (blades, after shave, soap, etc.). Can't comment on the Mühle R89 but if it's the EJ89 head with the R41 handle then I'd buy an EJ one since I like the added weight and looks.

Yep...I have 2 de89's sitting in my drawer, just incase they stop making em. My grandkids will be shaving with them.. Unless of corse by then, theyre using a new Gillette Multi Laser....lol.....I don't care what anyone says, and again ymmv, but your not getting any closer or comfortable than a de89. The rest is nice, for a change of pace or nostalgia of using an antique..

Believe me my beard, is steel wool.. My straight obsession, is more for the challenge and hobby of it..I'll never give up the de89 with feathers.. Im stocking up on the feather blades, incase they ever decide to do the unthinkable, and shut down shop. The de89 and feathers need eachother

Last edited:
I have a Muhle R89 and an EJ DE89L and I find the Muhle to be the better shave. As said it is a lighter razor and is better balanced than the DE89L.

Yes I agree I have the de89 and the muhle r89 and I find the muhle superior. But still nothing beats the merkur 34 or 38. For the ultimate shave try the merkur slant. Similar to one of the earlier posters I have also found the r41 to be rough: it's just jumps and pulls. My vote goes to the merkurs.

Keep what ya got and get a bobs razor works handle for it!!!! Hes top shelf stuff, and will get ya what ya want too. Or, the EJ89 is a razor you cant really miss with. Its my go to

I have a merkur HD but not the EJ/muhle 89
I love the Merkur despite its 'lower' standard in the finish. The handle is better than the muhle's (compared with my R41) with better grip.
[On hindsight, I should have gone for the longer handled version].

Today, if I were to choose between Merkur and EJ89 today, I would go for EJ/muhle -simply because they are 3 piece razors which give me more choice of handles :D

I have both the R89 and the DE89L. Both shave EXACTLY alike to me, although subjectively, the R89 feels better in my hand and appears to be better finished, the latter thought being shared by others. Since I use a Gillette adjustable Black Beauty most of the time, Im gonna end up getting rid of the Jagger sooner or later

You cant go wrong with either a DE89 or an R89. Let your budget be the guide

I get from this thread that the Muhle because of the hollow handle is less weight than the Edwin Jagger (Both versions of the 89 head). Is the Muhle Grande handle also hollow? I prefer longer handles and was wondering what the 41 was like with the Grande handle? Also, on the topic of Bob's handles.....is anyone lucky enough to get the guy to respond to an email? His website is a joke. Absolutely no response in my case. Tradere is a beautiful and functional handle for those looking for a replacement. Stainless but chrome heads don't know the difference.

EJ 89DEBA11 otherwise known as the "barley"

I went from a ball-tech, to a slim to finally the EJ and it killed my RAD...DEAD!

Maybe my technique improvement coincided with the arrival of the barley but loaded with feathers I get beautiful smooth shaves and very, very occasional weepers which are ALWAYS lapses in concentration.

The geometry of the head, the minimal blade flex and the RR "blue-chrome" finish...sublime.

I posted the first review of the barley in the Reviews section here on BB and stand by my words.

No offense intended and with all due respect I just don't get the fanboy love for the vintage razors. I own them. I've used them. But now they are simply curiosities. More power to you if you can get a superior shave out of 'em. I can't.

YMMV applies.

Above, I may have misspoke regarding Bob's Razor's (handles). In another thread there has been discussion Bob has not responded to anyone as he is apparently moving his business and do back at the end of April?

Top Bottom