What's new

Merkur blades - why so expensive

Yes, I am sure Merkur is producing DE blades just to maintain traditions ... :001_rolle Germany has the strongest economy in Europe because they like to make stuff they know it won't sell ... :lol:

Yet another impressive argument. Well, I guess you have nothing left to say to prove your point.

Yoo Hoo...... enough...... Both of you have made your point.... I don't want to send both of you to bed without your dinner...

Any more and the thread will be closed and the offending parties will then expect incoming PM's

They are so expensive because they are manufactured from the rare planetary element unubtainum which is almost imposable to sharpen.

proxy.php
This answer was worth of reading this poor thread though! :lol:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I honestly don't even remember what I thought about Merkur blades. It's been a while. They didn't make it to my junk list, though. But I ended up liking some other blades more. I did find Derby blades to be terrible for me, though.

I've only tried one and it gave good shaves, and stayed unrusted in my shower razor for weeks.
If they were not so expensive I'd buy more, but at more than double the price if Voskgods...not gonna happen.

Thank you guys. I got a nice feedback. So nothing special about them for such a high price. May be the importer is trying to cover his cost or as already mentioned here Germany may be producing them at high costs.

Last edited:
I shaved with a Merkur Super Platinum just a few days ago. It was alright for two shaves; that is, two shaves, one pass each. These blades have a rough grind, and they are fine until the coating breaks down. My opinion is that there are much better deals out there.

To see what Merkur looks like with a telescopic lens, google: Comparaison du "FIL" des lames en photos

It's a "preponderance of the evidence" kind of thing. When entering the DE shaving world, one quickly realizes there are approximately 1,927 types of blades (and that's not counting all the Gillette 7 o'clock varieties :blink:) to choose from. When one seems to hear more often than not that Merkur blades are unsatisfactory, it certainly lessens the desire to put in that blade that came with my new Merkur razor. I didn't try mine yet because you people scared me off. :blushing:

I will get around to it eventually, but I have set my expectations low. Maybe that's unfair, but the toothpaste is out of the tube on the notion. Maybe it will be the One True Blade we all strive for, but it seems unlikely.

I use them, I like them, but there are plenty of other blades I like at lower price points so I don't seek them out.

I think Merkur just sells their blades to a different market that accepts a different price point. I see them in barber shops and supply stores, places where the buyers likely aren't scouring the internet to save 10 cents.

I used a Merkur for the 1st time today. It felt fine but my results weren't consistent. I did a four pass shave which I almost never do and here I am at noon wishing I could shave already as it's just not anywhere near smooth. I won't give up on it yet but it was peculiar as I've been able to get good results from most of the sharper blades on the market. I used Noxema and Stirling and my lather was slick as could be. Again, it didn't feel uncomfortable at all...but it just didn't get the job done.

I have several hundred Merkur blades and use them regularly.

I get a perfect shave out of them every time but I can get a perfect shave out of a broken beer bottle too so I am not a good gauge of what is good and what is not good because everything works for me :yesnod:

Well Mr turtle, everyone else has skin not a thick hide. :)

We uphold the highest standards!
Each and every blade goes through a meticulously designed state-of-the-art dulling process using the newest machinery!

We uphold the highest standards!
Each and every blade goes through a meticulously designed state-of-the-art dulling process using the newest machinery!

personally I prefer the hand dulled ones myself.

You just can't trust a machine to get that perfect dullness that a hand dulled blade achieves

Top Bottom