What's new

Merkur blades - why so expensive

I was looking at prices of 100 blades count of various brands on Amazon. I think the general consensus about Merkur blades is that they are harsh.
I wonder why are they so expensive as compared to all other blades having 100 count.

Polsilver SI, Feathers, Gillette yellows and all others, but Merkur's are the most expensive. Is it brand name or some other reason.

Timor are expensive too and both blades aren't bad but very overpriced. The Timor packaging is attractive - probably the best I have come across. The Sharpedge and PSI blades are in my 'stash'.

I would assume that expenses are higher in Germany, and that the EU markets could bear a higher cost than the developing world.

Beyond that, I have no insight.

It's a nice philosophical question, but why would anyone really care - they are horrible. Tons of other blades around.

Not according to what I've been reading on this and other forums. Most people don't.

I like them very much and I know I am not alone. Kinda reminds me of Derby and other constantly bashed blades. If those feelings were THAT universal, would there be a market for these blades? :001_rolle
People say many things, most people also forget they can only speak for themselves ...

Also ... most people try the blades that come with razors, when they begin DE shaving. How many of those people actually bothered to try them again once they actually know how to shave with a DE razor?

Last edited:
///Kinda reminds me of Derby and other constantly bashed blades."///

- Derby are bashed by many, but also liked by quite a lot of people. Merkurs don't even get mentioned, and if they do - as a curiosity.

///"If those feelings were THAT universal, would there be a market for these blades?///

- There is no market for them. Nobody buys them. Even people who think they're okay know there are better blades at better price. Merkur probably just keeps producing them for the sake of saying they also offer shaving blades.

///"People say many things, most people also forget they can only speak for themselves ...///

A lot of people say they don't like Merkur blades. Check the reviews and the ratings. You write it off with "people say many things"? Well, being in denial is your choice.
People obviously can also speak of other things than themselves, if they have witnessed them. If you don't like what they have to say - well, that's a different issue.

///"How many of those people actually bothered to try them again once they actually know how to shave with a DE razor?"///

Haven't you just said that one can only speak for himself? Start by speaking for yourself. A lot of people stick to their first blade, and a lot of people come back to it too.

Last edited:
People don't buy Merkur blades because they are overpriced, that does not mean they aren't great blades.
More people buy Derby because they are cheap.

I believe it is as simple as this. I am willing to bet if a 100 pack of Merkur were $9 they would be awesome blades. Since they cost $60 people never buy them again and base their opinion on ONE blade they tried in the very beginning.

This is just my $0.02 anyway.

That is like saying Arko is better than MdC because people talk more about it. :lol: Simply two different things.

Last edited:
My wife bought a 5 pack of Merkur blades from AOS when I first started with de. Think they were 12 bucks, didn't like them at all.

Can I ask, what makes a bad blade. I just finished using a pack of Shark's. I found that i had to go over certain areas several times in order to get my face smooth. Does a better blade mean that you only have to pass the area once? If so, then I'm definitely moving on. Next up, Feathers

///People don't buy Merkur blades because they are overpriced, that does not mean they aren't great blades."///

Who says they are great? Please show me reviews and ratings, or quotes.

///I am willing to bet if a 100 pack of Merkur were $9 they would be awesome blades"///

There are Chinese no-brand blades for 1$ per 100 pack, but no one buys them, simply because they are horrible. Saving money is nice, but there is a limit to what you ready to put your face through. Merkur is just about in this league. Most people who tried them prefer to forget the experience.

Why do I need reviews, ratings or quotes to consider the Merkur great blades? I know MY opinion about them, and they are great blades FOR ME, who's gonna say otherwise?

Do you buy stuff because other people say it's good? I prefer using whatever I like. There are some Gillette blades I consider horrible too, others are my favorite blades. The Merkur is very close to the top.

YMMV and neither you or anyone else can argue against that.

Last edited:
They are so expensive because they are manufactured from the rare planetary element unubtainum which is almost imposable to sharpen.

proxy.php

Why do I need reviews, ratings or quotes to consider the Merkur great blades? I know MY opinion about them, and they are great blades FOR ME, who's gonna say otherwise?

I have no problem with your opinion about them, this argument started because you had a problem with me and proclaimed "you can rest assured many people like them". Well, now you back off that statement. Okay, argument resolved.

I have no problem with your opinion about them, this argument started because you had a problem with me and proclaimed "you can rest assured many people like them". Well, now you back off that statement. Okay, argument resolved.

No, I still say many people like them. Unless you think Merkur produces blades for me exclusively. No company can afford to manufacture something that doesn't sell.
Again I reassure you, I'm not buying them all, so I would think someone else out there likes them too.

No, I still say many people like them. Unless you think Merkur produces blades for me exclusively. No company can afford to manufacture something that doesn't sell.
Again I reassure you, I'm not buying them all, so I would think someone else out there likes them too.

I remind you that YOU said: "most people also forget they can only speak for themselves".
ERGO, When you say "many people like them", you have to back it up by something. I asked for any kind of proof, you can't give any.
Concerning the production - you don't know in what quantities they produce them. Probably very small. Another thing is that many companies produce many things that don't really sell for many different reasons - tradition, prestige, PR, etc'.

I have several hundred Merkur blades and use them regularly.

I get a perfect shave out of them every time but I can get a perfect shave out of a broken beer bottle too so I am not a good gauge of what is good and what is not good because everything works for me :yesnod:

I remind you that YOU said: "most people also forget they can only speak for themselves".
ERGO, When you say "many people like them", you have to back it up by something. I asked for any kind of proof, you can't give any.
Concerning the production - you don't know in what quantities they produce them. Probably very small. Another thing is that many companies produce many things that don't really sell for many different reasons - tradition, prestige, PR, etc'.

Yes, I am sure Merkur is producing DE blades just to maintain traditions ... :001_rolle Germany has the strongest economy in Europe because they like to make stuff they know it won't sell ... :lol:

Top Bottom