What's new

MDC longevity.

D

dangerousrazor

For those who'd emptied a bottle of MDC, how long did it take for one to run out of? I'm exclusively using one these days and at current pace, it would run out before 200 uses.

Soap usage depends primarily on brush type/size and loading time, and in more extreme cases the water hardness

A dense Simpson’s Chubby Badger may require 3-4X more product than a small synthetic knot to produce (and release) enough lather for shaving

Some folks can shave with as little as 0.3g per shave. Others use up to 2-3g per shave. Given my brush preferences, I’m more towards 0.8-1.2g per shave

Which brush do you use? How long do you load it?

I think my bowl lasted 5 shaves before I passed it off to my son-in-law. It's nice to have a wetshaver in the family, who likes to save money, and will use whatever I don't want.

D

dangerousrazor

Soap usage depends primarily on brush type/size and loading time, and in more extreme cases the water hardness

A dense Simpson’s Chubby Badger may require 3-4X more product than a small synthetic knot to produce (and release) enough lather for shaving

Some folks can shave with as little as 0.3g per shave. Others use up to 2-3g per shave. Given my brush preferences, I’m more towards 0.8-1.2g per shave

Which brush do you use? How long do you load it?

I primarily use 26mm badger or Trafalgar 3. I load it for 15 seconds.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I hot 9 months out of a jar, lathering with abandon with a Chubby 1 Super, 5-6 times per week. So I got about 180-200 shaves.

When I use a less of a soap hog to lather, it would be possible to nearly double that. @martym got almost 2 years out of a jar with a Wee Scot.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I use small brushes...a Chubby 1 in best, a Kent BK4, or a Simpson T2. I load about three to five seconds, plenty for three passes. I shave every day. I have two MdCs, the Fougere I started last fall and the Agrumes I started this spring. They are the only soaps I use. The Fougere is now about 1/4" below the rim, and the Agrumes maybe 1/6" below the rim. The Agrumes paired with St. John's West Indian Lime is my summer citrus combo.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I use small brushes...a Chubby 1 in best, a Kent BK4, or a Simpson T2. I load about three to five seconds, plenty for three passes. I shave every day. I have two MdCs, the Fougere I started last fall and the Agrumes I started this spring. They are the only soaps I use. The Fougere is now about 1/4" below the rim, and the Agrumes maybe 1/6" below the rim. The Agrumes paired with St. John's West Indian Lime is my summer citrus combo.
Too late to edit...1/6 ought to be 1/16".

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
At the end of a shave, squeeze your brush and see how much soap you're running down the drain, it's quite a lot.
I mean, that's ok - I like a really loaded brush, but I'd wager than many of us here could increase soap life exponentially by just using less and not washing it into the drains.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
At the end of a shave, squeeze your brush and see how much soap you're running down the drain, it's quite a lot.
I mean, that's ok - I like a really loaded brush, but I'd wager than many of us here could increase soap life exponentially by just using less and not washing it into the drains.

True.....but it's a small price to pay for making sure my brush is well loaded. :cool:

There‘s a find line between having too much lather on your brush when you are done and not enough while you are finishing your shave. Like you, I opt for too much.

Steve56

When you squeeze your brush out, the lather looks big. But lather is soap, air, and water. Soap is very little of it. Instead of squeezing the lather into your sink. squeeze it into a ramekin, on to a saucer, etc and see what it looks like dry.

Most of what lather that you wash down the sink from your brush is air and water, not soap.

I used it for a month, weighing it before and after.

I discovered that once I had been using it for a few days, 10-13 swirls was all I needed to do to pick up enough soap to get the job done with four or more passes of lather.

Doing the math, it mapped out to over 3 years of daily shaves.

I will caveat this by saying that I generally use less soap per shave than a lot of shavers out there. Whipping up the lather in a bowl first helps to conserve the soap as well.

I'll also say that I came to not really enjoy the quality of the lather, after that month. When I hydrated it to my liking it just didn't hold up as well. If I backed off on the water then it felt a little drying and not as slick. So I haven't used it since.

(Sent from mobile)

+1! Great point!!

For me the issue is, ‘Did I enjoy my shave?’

If I answer, ‘Yes, indeed!’ Then, how much soap I used is not too important! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Steve56

Try Myrsol Agua di Limon with the agrumes, it’s a very nice pairing.

Top Bottom