What's new

Maybe I'll learn something.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@tehnothing - some other folks around here shave about once a week; such as @JoWolf , @hduty , @rabidus ; and all of that extra recovery time seems to be their benefit.

My hair scratches me after two days’ growth and I have a prominent neck beard at three and daily’s just my thing. I think @pdillon , @Johnnynroy , and @bosseb have even more discomfort than me if they go more than a day or two without shaving.

Your skin might like the once weekly treat if your neck wasn’t hamburger after your shave.

I really would like to shave more often. There are times however when that is difficult for me. Though a couple days can help when I wound myself. The WR2 in both 1.15 and 1.25 demand respect. I have a penchant for efficient smooth shavers, but, they don't suffer fools.

Your skin might like the once weekly treat if your neck wasn’t hamburger after your shave.

Not sure what the common bar weighs off hand, but, it is light and feels interesting balance wise. A little top heavy, but, I will know more when I shave with it.
I just measured the Common Bar handle off my NEW SC:

Diameter: 11.5mm
Length: 76mm
Weight: 20g

I much prefer my (current) favorite GT handle (made by my good friend Doug (@Rosseforp)):
GT-Handle-Tail-Pipe_2021-06-26.jpg
:001_wub:
which measures:

Diameter: 14mm
Length: 75mm
Weight: 14g

I just measured the Common Bar handle off my NEW SC:

Diameter: 11.5mm
Length: 76mm
Weight: 20g

I much prefer my (current) favorite GT handle (made by my good friend Doug (@Rosseforp)):
View attachment 1397300 :001_wub:
which measures:

Diameter: 14mm
Length: 75mm
Weight: 14g
I like the length and width of your GT handle. Not sure about the weight. I like how the balance feels in my hand with the common bar. I'll be shaving with it next.

@tehnothing - some other folks around here shave about once a week; such as @JoWolf , @hduty , @rabidus ; and all of that extra recovery time seems to be their benefit.
My neck skin was slightly red and sore before today’s shave. The cold minus temps and dryness take a toll on my skin comfort. Weekly shaves have been one of my happy places. My pre and post routines are high value in skin comfort.
My hair scratches me after two days’ growth and I have a prominent neck beard at three and daily’s just my thing. I think @pdillon , @Johnnynroy , and @bosseb have even more discomfort than me if they go more than a day or two without shaving.

I think @pdillon , @Johnnynroy , and @bosseb have even more discomfort than me if they go more than a day or two without shaving.
I can actually let my beard grow out without much discomfort, but what I found is that letting it grow out for more than 2-3 days is not helpful (perhaps counterproductive) in my ever vigilant fight against pseudofolliculitis barbae.

During my initial fight I was taking long stretches off from shaving to let it heal. Once I went two weeks and could still see small red dots under my beard. I am sure it was just the beard curling and irritating the skin and if I continued to let it grow long enough that would abate. But I am not into growing a beard at the moment, and I have found that shaving every other day is probably my sweet spot for skin repair. But I have shaved every day this year and am getting the hang of daily shaving.
I really would like to shave more often.
If you want to, what worked for me was to reduce the number of passes in your problem areas and then work up. In my opinion it looks better to have some minor stubble, than to have irritation or cuts. I would frequently do a single pass on my neck.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
the common bar handle from my New short comb I think are my current lightest handles. I can try the common bar on the WR2. See what I think. If I ever do convert you guys will get full credit.
You're in luck Michael, as my common bar handle weighs just 20.5 grams and fits on my WR2. 20220122_095709[1].jpg

doug

Preshave:PAA Mentholated Cube in the shower
Brush:Omega Evo
BowlCC Copper
SoapMdC Vetyver
RazorWolfman WR2 1.25 SB / Gillette Common Bar Handle
BladeGillette Permasharp (3)
Post ShavePAA Alum, Thayer’s Lavender Witch Hazel
After ShaveFine Green Vetiver
BalmBrickell’s Instant Relief
FragGuerlain Homme EdP
RatingDFS 9.5

After the talk of light handles I tried my 1.25 WR2 on the Gillette Common Bar Handle. It was a pleasant shave. Too soon to say what I think of the light handle. It was different in balance to what I am used to, but, it wasn't awkward in any way. I think I will devote some shaves to this combo first. Martin de Candre is great stuff and Vetyver is my favorite scent. The Omega Evo is a great brush. It is my only synthetic, but, what a synthetic. Great kit today all around.

Last edited:
Trying to decide on a Wolfman gap... contemplating between the 1.15 or 1.25 sb, care to share your thoughts between the two?
I just sold my 1.15 this morning. Along with my solid handle. The 1.15 and the 1.25 are very similar. Both are smooth to my face with acceptable blade feel. Slightly more with the 1.25. I chose the 1.25 because it is a very little more efficient and still very smooth. For me neither is what I would call an autopilot razor. I need to pay attention.

I just sold my 1.15 this morning. Along with my solid handle. The 1.15 and the 1.25 are very similar. Both are smooth to my face with acceptable blade feel. Slightly more with the 1.25. I chose the 1.25 because it is a very little more efficient and still very smooth. For me neither is what I would call an autopilot razor. I need to pay attention.
Thanks for your input. I was leaning towards the 1.25, but I have read some of your previous posts on it and I worry that the 1.25 might be a bit too aggressive for me. But, the fact that you sold off your 1.15 and kept your 1.25 says alot.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’m sorry for my stupid remarks in post #113, but those are some incredible looking brushes. Congratulations!

Thanks for your input. I was leaning towards the 1.25, but I have read some of your previous posts on it and I worry that the 1.25 might be a bit too aggressive for me. But, the fact that you sold off your 1.15 and kept your 1.25 says alot.
I am still getting a feel for the 1.25. I can get a really good shave from it, but, I have to be careful on my neck where my beard grows inward from the outside towards my Adam's Apple. When I first got the 1.15 I mangled a few shaves worse than I have with the 1.25. I don't find either gap aggressive in any way, but, they do demand respect. Most of my problems so far have been too much pressure. The heavy solid handle contributed to that.

I am still getting a feel for the 1.25. I can get a really good shave from it, but, I have to be careful on my neck where my beard grows inward from the outside towards my Adam's Apple. When I first got the 1.15 I mangled a few shaves worse than I have with the 1.25. I don't find either gap aggressive in any way, but, they do demand respect. Most of my problems so far have been too much pressure. The heavy solid handle contributed to that.
So, maybe the lighter weight Darwin handle will help?!

Top Bottom