What's new

Maybe I'll learn something.

I must have had more irritation yesterday than I thought because at either side of my neck there are angry patches. I could power through, but, I know tomorrow's shave will be better for it, if I skip a day.

I made some shims yesterday it took three blades to get one right. The first two I eyeballed and cut too much away. Third time I put the blade in the razor and colored the exposed blade with a Sharpie, and, then trimmed along the line. Much easier. My worry of flying razor shards was unfounded. I used my kitchen scissors over my sharps container without incident. One sliver did manage to fall into the sink, but, picking it up was no issue. Tomorrow I will shave with the equivalent of a 1.25 gap with my WR2.

Nov 09
IMG_20211109_052403.jpg

PreshavePAA Mentholated Cube in the shower/A&E Slick Stick
BrushOmega Evo
BowlCC Copper
SoapA&E Monte Carlo
RazorWolfman WR2 1.15 shimmed to 1.25
BladeWizamet Polsilver Stainless (29)
Post ShaveWitch Hazel
After ShaveA&E Monte Carlo
BalmA&E Post Shave Serum + ISC Hyaluronic Acid
FragDior Sauvage
RatingDFS 9.7 Not as close as the last few shaves with the Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow

As I said in the Participation PIF thread, the unobtainium blade was noticeably less sharp today. There was slight resistance. 29 shaves was a good run, and, the most I have ever knowingly put on a single blade. So Tomorrow it will turn into a shim. I will run with one shim this week, next week two. Next blade to try is a Polish Wizamet Iridium Super from the early 80's. I am excited to try vintage versions of my favored blade. After that I have tucks of Gillette "Spoilers", British Wilkenson Swords, and, Schick Plus Platinums. The shim it is too early to say how much of a difference it made since the blade was not the sharpest. Tomorrow or worst case Thursday, will tell me more with a fresh blade. I didn't push today's shave so I should be good for tomorrow.

A&E Monte Carlo is my best performing A&E soap. I am not sure what base it is, but, the lather is just awesome. Slick, goopy goodness. The lather didn't drop from my razor, but, it was close to. A&E Slick Stick is a good preshave. I ran it over my face ATG and then wet the Evo and made worked the water into it and let it sit on my face for a minute or two. I really feel it adds something. The Monte Carlo is good on it's own, but, is better with Slick Stick. The Post Shave Serum on the other hand is just okay. I think it has alcohol in it and I would rather my balms didn't

The Omega Evo is a wonderful brush. I like it very much. I don't think I will be parting with my nicer badgers, but, it is certainly worthy of it's spot in my rotation. I have seven brushes now. I think when I get my M&F Heritage II L7 I will PIF the Fank Shaving Manchurian. It is not a bad brush, but, I don't love gel tips. I will likely put a set together for a PIF in the newbie forum. Either my NDC 40's Super Speed, or, my New Short Comb, a soap, and, an after shave. I was on the receiving end my first few years on B&B.

The Polsilver blade must have been lacking in sharpness in the end. I could already shave at 2027 at night, and, I shaved after lunch. Really looking forward to the vintage Wizamet IS tomorrow morning. Enough so that I will make myself shave after breakfast. Curious about the shimmed WR2 with a fresh sharp blade. Today I stopped at three passes. A bit of buffing, but, not really. The blade was not sharp enough and I would have caused irritation. I want to be able to have a DFS+ with a three pass shave. Dare I dream a BBS, probably not. Currently it takes me four passes and touch up to DFS+. One WTG, two XTG, one ATG, and, then buffing my trouble spots in all directions. The WR2 1.15 has been very effective, as has the Karve G SB and F OC. These are my two, or three best razors currently. I haven't used the ATT Aluminum Windsor Pro yet, and, I haven't used the Rex Envoy or Ambassador long enough to become competent with them. I had good shaves, but, I have only used them a handful of times. The Fatip lo Storto Gentile is one of the few razors I have used in which an old blade tugged terribly. Twelve shaves and the blade was done in the Fatip, but, I could still use it in my Timeless .38 SB comfortably. It still cut like a champ in the Timeless, but, was unusable in the Fatip. I was focusing on the Fatip at the time for Slantember. I think I should have gone for the FOCS instead. I have learned that I can shave with an open comb. I think it is the gap in the Fatip solid bar slant that gave me issue. I think at some point i will order a chrome FOCS to have a mixed metal of both guard style razors. I had such a bad experience with my Fatip Piccolo my second and third years of safety razor shaving. Granted I was not shaving steep, I selectively read posts about riding the cap and took it as gospel. I believed at the time that there were alignment problems as well. That may well have been imagined thanks to reading about it happening. The Piccolo bit every time I used it in my memory. When I bought my ASD2 I sold off everything else to bank roll it. Then I got the Timeless Bronze and sold the Feather. I have shaved with the Wolfman for almost a month, and, I can say without a shadow of a doubt I will be keeping a WR2. I will be keeping my Karve as well. At the very least the OC F plate. One effective OC razor for the longer intervals. The rest of my razors I will ask myself if I really need. One slant, a couple of OCs, a few vintage razors, maybe an AC style. I want to try one at some point. I said a while ago that the Rex Ambassador was my one if I only could keep one DE. Now I think it is the WR2. I am not sure what shimming is going to tell me. In theory I will be able to try different gaps, but, the balance is going to be different because of handles, and, the blade angle is going to be different. I am wondering how accurate to the feeling of the gaps I want to test will be. Oh first world problems.

11/11/21
PreshavePAA Mentholated Cube
BrushSOC Ash Wood Finest Badger
BowlCC Copper
SoapStirling Green
RazorWolfman WR2 1.15 shimmed to 1.25
BladePolish Wizamet Iridium Super
Post ShaveWitch Hazel
After ShaveStirling Green
BalmCeraVe
Fragnone
RatingDFS+ 9.8 Not the most comfortable.

So I am not sure if a shimmed 1.15 gives the impression of a 1.25 after all. The angle of the blade is weird which translates to noticeable blade feel at my normal steep angle. It is not the most smooth experience. The blade was kind of jammed in there when I took them out to clean. I don't know if that contributed to the weird angle or not. I will try it again tomorrow.

Stirling green is okay. I can use it, but, it isn't my favorite. On my second pass I used PAA's Mentholated Cube to make the shave, well, mentholated. I think the Oceana is a bust. I will PIF it eventually. I still have the Seaforth samples, but, I am not expecting much.

First day using CeraVe in place of a balm. It has been a few hours since I shaved and my skin feels pretty good. I will use it for a while and make a decision after some time has passed.

11/16/21
PreshavePAA Mentholated Cube/Tube
BrushOmega Evo
BowlCC Copper
SoapSeaforth! Spice
RazorWolfman WR2 1.15, no more shims
BladePolish Wizamet Super Iridium (2)
Post ShaveThayer’s Lavender Witch Hazel
After ShaveProraso Green
BalmCeraVe
Fragnone
RatingDFS+ 9

So the WR2 is terrible with shims. I don't know what it is doing, but, they are very uncomfortable. I did two fifths of my first pass shimmed to 1.35, and, broke down the razor and took them out. I guess I will have to try other gaps instead. After I took the shims out the shave was smooth. Of the two Seaforth! scents I have tried, both are not for me. I had hopes for Spice, but, it is not pleasant. I'll skip the Lime, as I don't like citrus scents. I actually used the Spice after shave, but, I followed it up with Proraso Green. Unfortunately I can still smell Spice so I am going to wash my face and try again. Really not my scent. I like the Lavender witch hazel much better than original. I always mean to get unscented and end up with original.

News or shave first? Shave first.

11/18/21
PreshavePAA Mentholated Cube/The Tube
BrushRudy Vey 2019 Manchurian
BowlCC Copper
SoapPasteur’s Pharmacy / PAA The Battle of NYC
RazorWolfman WR2 1.15 SB/Timeless Ti Crown handle
BladePolish Wizamet Super Iridium from the 80’s (3)
Post ShaveThayer’s Lavender Witch Hazel Toner
After ShavePasteur’s Pharmacy / PAA The Battle of NYC
BalmCeraVe
FragDior Sauvage EdT
RatingDFS+ 9.8

So four passes with the 1.15 on a 48 hour beard. Every other day may be my shave interval. Very satisfying four pass shave. WTG, XTG ETW, XTG WTE, ATG and some touch up buffing. Ended up with my standard DFS+. Stubble only ATG in my PIA areas. That is a lot of acronyms. One weeper closed before I noticed it. Bled through my lather, when I was done with the pass there was nothing. I have been working on my Gillette Slide. It seems effective. It seems likely I will continue cutting myself for a while. Tuesdays cut was me going more sideways for a second than diagonal. I didn't cut myself today, but, the cut from Tuesday looked a little angry on my ATG pass. Today just the phantom blood, After Shave stung. Corking the Polish Wizamet SI really improved it. My difficulty with shims, was likely due to the blade. These blades are from the early 80's. I will be corking them from now on. It is now the sharp and smooth blade I expect. I need time with them before I can compare to the Stainless, Polsilver SI blades and contemporary Wizamets. The Rudy Vey Rubber Set style Manchurian is my favorite brush hands down. Battle of NYC still smells good, but, it is not the favorite scent I thought it would be. I have tried a bunch of PAA and while they have so many scents, I have yet to find one that suits me. I will be ordering the parfum of Awesome Sauce, but, I don't need the soap or splash. It smells like Proraso Green after all. I want the parfum to add some longevity to the scent. Dior Sauvage, along with A&E Monte Carlo are in the same scent space for me as Battle for NYC. Seems to work.

So now for the news. I received and paid two invoices today. Two fancy things are on their way to my den. One invoice was to Brad Sears for a M&F L7 in antique Ivory and Tortoise Shell with a Heritage II Hybrid Knot brush. That is a lot of words. This is going to be my fanciest brush yet. I really have no idea what to expect. Pictures as soon as I get some or the brush itself. The other invoice was for a Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB, a 80mm solid WRH2 handle, and, a WRA1 stand, all in brushed matte. I debated going 1.35 after seeing how many people use them. I will probably get back on the list for a 1.35, and, if I decide to keep the 1.25 I will just cancel the order. I do not plan on having a collection of these. I somehow doubt any of these razors will assist me to BBS land. It would be neat though wouldn't it.

11/20/21

PreshavePAA Mentholated Cube/ Proraso Green
BrushSOC Ash Wood Finest Badger
Bowlface lathered
SoapProraso Green
RazorATT Alu Windsor Pro ugly stuff sale $16.00 heck Yeah!
BladePolish Wizamet Super Iridium (4)
After ShaveProraso Green
BalmProraso Green balm
Fragnone
RatingDFS+ 9.8

I thought I would try at least one frugal shave, though none of my brushes fit that category. The Aluminum Windsor Pro from ATT that I got 75% off does though. This was my first use of the razor and it isn't bad. The weight feels fine. Other than my PIA swirly spots, my neck feels smooth. DFS on all trouble spots. I am PIFing a razor to a friend. Not sure which yet, but, this is a contender, (others include the Merkur 34G, Fatip lo STorto Gentile, or a Gillette New SC). If I decide to keep the Aluminum Windsor Pro, I will make it my travel razor. There are noticeable scratches, but, nothing that effects the shave. It was a heck of a bargain, and, I am glad I jumped on it.

11/25/21
PreshavePAA Mentholated Cube/ Tube
BrushM&F 26mm Heritage II Hybrid in antique ivory and tortoise shell
BowlCC Copper
SoapMdC original
RazorWolfman WR2 1.15 SB/Timeless Ti Crown handle
BladePolish Wizamet Super Iridium (5)
After ShaveCaron Pour Un Homme after shave
BalmCeraVe
FragCaron Pour Un Homme EdT
RatingDFS+ 9.8
I waited for the Martin de Candre to be delivered yesterday for my Wolfman Wednesday shave. Then it was too late after I got everything done. Then today rather than use the 200g I got yesterday I used a sample of the same soap that I forgot had. I haven't shaved with it in a few years and I wanted to make sure I like it before using the jar. Well I do still like it. Not as much as Vetyver, but, enough to keep it. I will use the sample till it is gone though. Scooping seems to work work well. At least until the sample is gone. I would like to load from the puck at some point though to see if it makes a difference in the lather. I had enough for my normal three passes plus touch up, and, then enough to wash my face with what was left in the brush. Not sure if it was optimal or not on the hydration. The instruction card says not to add to much water and that the lather shouldn't be slimy. I like well hydrated lather so I may well push it further. It seemed kind of fluffy today. Not where I usually like my lather. Still lovely soap even if I need to dial it in.

This will be one of the few soaps I don't have a matching after shave for, but, I figured Caron Pour un Homme would pair well. Complete with EdT. I really like this one, but, the novelty has worn off. I now have two soaps I use the after shave for with it's dumb spray, and, three I use the frag I put in an atomizer cause it is dumb to have a splash frag if you are wearing after shave.

The M&F heritage II is a really nice brush. I want one in finest at some point too, but, I like this knot a lot. A lot of back bone. I'd like to face lather with it next, but, I will have to use another soap since I am loading the MdC in the bowl.

The WR2 1.25 SB will be delivered tomorrow. I don't know if I will be home or not, but, I am amazed how fast turn around was once I got the email. If all goes well eight days from paying the invoice I will have it in my hand. Waiting on my friend to come pick me up for turkey dinner. The z4 is no fun to drive right now because two fasteners broke and the headliner/windscreen cover is hanging down and I have to drive sitting up. I also need to have work done on the suspension. Hopefully I can afford everything next month. December GRUME maybe? It will be hard not skulking in the BST. I may have the work split between December and January. I won't be able to take the road trip I take every few months until it is done. I have made the damage worse by driving it. It was just the bushings that needed replaced, but, I have driven on them long enough that my upper strut mounts are shot. I wanted to get the convertible top motor fixed next, but, that is going to have to wait till the spring probably. I have been going nuts buying shaving stuff for several months now. I think after a couple of black Friday acquisitions are complete I really should stop for a while. Time to enjoy what I have for a while. That and shave more frequently. Shaving five day beards has become common for me lately.

IMG_20211127_154549.jpg

My fanciest razor got here before I did yesterday. WR2 1.25 SB. I haven't shaved with it yet. I'm also expecting a beautiful Gem Micromatic razor today. I will try it on Monday. Never used a Gem. I watched a few videos and read a few threads with conflicting information. I'll play it by ear. Might face lather MdC. I want my lather on point. I guess I will try it again from the puck when I shave.

IMG_20211201_115349.jpg
12/02/21

PreshavePAA Mentholated Cube in the shower
BrushM&F 26mm Heritage II Hybrid in antique ivory and tortoise shell
BowlCC Copper
SoapRR Green Label puck
RazorWolfman WR2 1.25 SB / WRH2 solid handle
BladePolsilver SI (1)
Post ShaveAlum. Thayer’s Lavender Witch Hazel Toner
After ShaveRR Green Label splash
BalmBrickell Instant Relief
FragSV Desert Vetiver
RatingDFS+ 9.8

12/02/21

First shave with the 1.25 on the solid WRH2 80 mm handle. Much like the first run with the 1.15 on the Timeless Ti Crown handle, there was blood. I like it. It is very smooth. The shave was no less smooth than the 1.15. The blade seems sharper than the 1983 Wizamet Super Iridums. More like the contemporary Wizamet SI. I may try corking the Polish WSI blade again next time before retiring it. I plan to leave it in the 1.15.

This is a different animal than the 1.15 with vintage blade and a titanium handle. I need to learn a light touch. My angle seems okay steep. It is now my heaviest razor. I need to let the weight do the work. The change in gap I can notice an increase in efficiency, but, because of the possible dud blade, a marked smoothness increase. It was smooth with the Unobtainium blade. I think I like contemporary blades a bit more than the ones I have tried thus far of the vintage. Still got to try another blade from the Polish Wizamet SI. I have a lot of blades to try.

Enjoyed the M&F brush today. Lather could have been better, but, it is not my slickest soap. I think an SV shave is in order. I know 4.3 beta better than I know MdC. I want to use some familiar stuff. Maybe PAA or B&M. Probably Reserve. Maybe A&E with Slick Stick. Whatever I decide on I will use for at least a week. At least I will try.

Last edited:
BrushM&F 26mm Heritage II Hybrid in an antique ivory and tortoise shell L7 handle
BowlCC Copper
SoapPP/WK Timmermann
RazorWolfman WR2 1.25 SB / WRH2 solid handle
BladePolsilver SI (2)
Post ShaveAlum, PP/WK Timmermann Toner
After ShavePP/WK Timmermann Splash
BalmPP/WK Timmermann Balm
Frag
RatingDFS+ 9.8

I finally shaved on a Wolfman Wednesday. Second shave with the 1.25. Yay me. It was a six day shave. The 1.25 performed very well with the Polsilver blade. It mowed down six day stubble like it was nothing. Very smooth. First pass WTG was perfect. Light touch all the way. My face is NS, so I could let the weight do the work. My neck grows in all directions. Still first pass was perfect. XTG, ATG, and touch up were still very smooth, but, on my neck, I was a little heavy handed. Several weepers. I really need to adjust to the weight. I am happy I went with a solid handle, but, I need to slow down and adjust my pressure. First pass I paid attention to that. Subsequent passes I went on auto pilot. Until I have some shaves with this setup, I need to take my time. Once I have got it down muscle memory should take over. It was a very close shave. My neck is about as close as it has ever been DFS+, smooth except around my Adam's apple. My soul patch and mustache are DFS. Slight stubble ATG.

Pasteur's Pharmacy/ Wholly Kaw Timmerman line up is very good. I was not as impressed with the scent this time as in the past, but, it is still acceptable. I think I may try scooping next time. I ran out of lather twice. I am loading more gently following the M&F brush directions. I loaded for like 30 seconds, but, I not using much pressure on it. Lather was fine, but, I had to reload on the second pass, and, didn't really have enough for touch up. I just used extremely thin lather for touch up since it didn't make sense to make more for a partial pass. The M&F is a great brush. Good back bone and soft.

All in all a lovely shave.

12/14/21
BrushM&F 26mm Heritage II Hybrid in an antique ivory and tortoise shell L7 handle
BowlCC Copper
SoapSV Desert Vetiver
RazorWolfman WR2 1.25 SB
BladePolsilver SI (3)
Post ShaveAlum followed by Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel
After ShaveSV Desert Vetiver
FragSV Desert Vetiver
RatingDFS 9.5

Third shave with the 1.25. I made it through the first two passes with no blood, but, ATG was a little heavy handed. I tried a bit of skin stretching today, but, I don't think I did a very good job. There is some redness in various spots on my face and neck. Not sure if they are technique related, or reaction to the SV Desert Vetiver. I think the former. It was still a very enjoyable shave. Alum feedback was acceptable. I always say I won't use a balm with SV splashes. I invariably do anyway. Brickell instant Relief has more of a scent than I would like, but it seems to be good stuff. I like it more than using CeraVe Daily Moisturizer. I tried it as a balm, and, I just don't like the feeling on my face. I have several balms now. I am thinking I like how my skin feels best after the Brickell. I really hope I am not having a reaction to Desert Vetiver. It is my favorite SV scent. I'm going to try to use it for a few shaves.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Steep angle and skin stretching don’t usually go well together for me, either. Shallow angle lurvs it, but steep seems gentler with slack skin up to a point.

BowlCC Copper
SoapMdC Vetyver
RazorWolfman WR2 1.25 SB
BladePolsilver SI (4)
Post ShaveThayer’s Lavender Witch Hazel
After ShaveSV Desert Vetiver
FragSV Desert Vetiver
RatingDFS+ 9.5

Pleasant shave today. The 1.25 needs more attention than the 1.15. I think I think I just need to shave more often. Lots of nicks and weepers every shave so far. It is still very smooth. I end up going to fast because of it's smoothness. I took down 7 days growth effortlessly. My shave is very close with the exception of a few of my spots and a missed area beneath my nose. My neck is pretty much BBS. That is also the area with the most nicks and weepers. I also have one on my cheek that I felt happen. I was shaving from my left ear across the grain with my right hand and the razor caught and stopped. Small nick. The carnage on my baby bottom smooth neck is more severe. Faceturbating forty five minutes later, I really am closer than with the 1.15. Hopefully I will get proficient with it soon.

Well the light touch is definitely needed for sure. SV Desert Vetvier stung plenty. I do like alcohol splashes. Maybe one day I will look at Cat o' Nine Tails. I may have tried it already. If so it is likely in my uhaul box o' shaving stuff.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It’s a bay rum scent with added capsaicin. If you ever wanted to smell like tropical refreshment _and_ face a trial by fire, it’s the thing. They also have a gajillion other balms and splashes without capsaicin

I was not aware it had capsaicin in it, but, I knew it was a stinging Bay Rum. I think Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum was my meanest. I mixed up Bootlegger's Bay Rum so I had that, Superior 70, and, the Master's. Looking through my box I don't see any others. It is not one of my favorite scents. As far as Captain's Choice goes, I think when I jump on it, I'll get Venture soap and splash. It will be a while though, because with few exceptions I am enjoying with hard soaps now. That said I have a Jar of Amazelnut from B&M in omnibus to try still. I'll eventually get to it. I have so much soap, and, so many I want to try.

Top Bottom