What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still In

Pre-Shave: Hot Water Splash,
Lather: Soap Commander Endurance,
Brush: Frank Tortoise G4 24mm synthetic,
Razor: Merkur 34c,
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (1),
Post-shave: Avon Spicy,

Being intrigued by the idea of Arko Sharko in August if for no other reason than illiteration, I thought it would be good to revisit the Shark Stainless blade. At one time, this blade. Along with it's Lord brother blade were both in my regular rotation, but fell out of favor as I became more accustomed to sharper Gillette PPI blades.

I used a Merkur 34c, my baseline razor for testing. It made for a good, not great, shave. A little more buffing was required, but overall, the Shark Super Stainless is a good, everyday blade.

I have to say, it's been fun reading everyone's SOTDs and shaving related thoughts. Dare I say, It's more fun than buying more hardware, or software that I don't need.

SOTD
Razor: Rockwell 6c plate 3
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (2)
Soap: Vitos Green
After Shave: Old Spice

Notes:
Gamechanger .68p yesterday and Rockwell today. Very different feel from both razors but almost no difference in performance. I thought I buffed less with the Rockwell but that was not the case today. I thought the Gamechanger was a little smoother but that might have been the soap difference. I had an awesome shave with no blood loss and nearly no alum feedback. Generous application of after shave stung the eyes but was very refreshing on the face.

The Astra Superior Stainless is a very nice no drama blade. It is likely very well suited for those that like a mild shave.

On The Eighteenth Day Of GRUME-ING...STILL IN!

Shower and soapy bloom water from Adagio Road Kokum Tallow soap
Henson AL-13 with new Nacet blade
Adagio lather applied with Annbas brush
Cold water splashes and Gillette AS lotion

Random Thoughts Of The Day
I enjoy the whole shaving experience. I prefer light weight razors. The Henson and Feather Popular are both great. I no longer feel concerned about auditory or tactile feedback. Shaving XTG is now part of my routine. Nacet blades are my go-to choice but I would appreciate comments about a blade that feels even smoother. The Annbas brush is too scratchy for me. I have face lathered four days in a row.

I am enjoying interaction on B&B, especially the GRUME post. Daily writing on this forum is stimulating and fun! I like to read the reports from "yous-guys"
Eye sumtiemez lik tu rite phoneticalie. Eit iz funne. Beefour eye retirde ah freind an eye textd eech uther on ah daley bases lik theise.
The dog is a relic from my pipe smoking days. It was a souvenir from Niagara Falls, now repurposed as a razor display.

And now you know the rest of the story!
Good Day!

PXL_20210518_160357139.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
So the shaving yak strains all of the whiskers out of the sink after I shave; I collect them, put them under the pillow, and when I wake up in the morning there's gonna be a tube of fancy French balm under the pillow?

That is a terrifying visual.
Anyway. Still in.
315496E0-E437-4D4E-BBF6-45774508E4FD.jpeg

Note to self. That 2-band badger knot wants to be used with fancier soap and that Williams soap wants to be used with a more basic knot.
Slim and Spoiler do their usual top quality work though.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
That is a terrifying visual.
Anyway. Still in.
View attachment 1268598
Note to self. That 2-band badger knot wants to be used with fancier soap and that Williams soap wants to be used with a more basic knot.
Slim and Spoiler do their usual top quality work though.
I dunno. I like using my M7's in Super and Manchurian with Williams. Great brushes for mug lathering. The longer handled Paladin Chief and the Mandarin work well also. Nothing like making a million dollar lather with a $200 brush and a 99 cent soap!

Beautiful brush, by the way.

Still in.

Why shave with one razor, when you can shave with two?
1621390426778.png

I do know some reasons not to shave with two razors. That's two razors to strop on the leather beforehand. And two razors to strop on pasted balsa, afterwards, if you're doing The Method.

There was a reason to do it, though. That bent-handle razor was a used eBay acquisition, and boy did it need some rehab. I eventually got a flat bevel on it, and took it through the sequence. It was part of pursuing the grail of a BBS neck shave. I've never had a true BBS neck shave. My neck has a left-to-right beard map, and enough hollows and protuberances to be a mountain range. Arranging a blade vertically, and making horizontal moves, would be more like a home tracheotomy than a shave. But I can approach it at an angle, can't I? I've certainly tried. And this bent-handled razor seemed like just the ticket to get further with the XTG project.

It has good steel, and I learned to hold it only on the straight part of the handle when honing, because things got confusing otherwise. So, how did that handle do for the near-XTG project?

It did well. I did not. Two weepers, and a realization that I'm going to need to need some practice with this razor. Still, the shave is as close to a neck BBS as I've ever had.

I'll keep trying, but only on those days when I don't want the shave to end, and am inclined to go for the gusto. If straight razor shaving is slow, doing it this way is even slower.

Still in.

Nacet blades are my go-to choice but I would appreciate comments about a blade that feels even smoother.

For smoother blades, I can recommend:

Wilkinson Sword blade (India), Gillette 7 O'clock Black and Gillette Minora blades.

I've used these blades in Lupo 95, Game Changer 84 Open Comb and RazoRock BBS razor, and they all performed smoothly without any biting.

My neck has a left-to-right beard map, and enough hollows and protuberances to be a mountain range. Arranging a blade vertically, and making horizontal moves, would be more like a home tracheotomy than a shave.

I too have similar growth pattern along with some mixed pattern coming from right side of the neck, which all converges around my Addams Apple.

I have never got a lasting BBS in that area till now, it is somewhat easier with the DE razor, I'll have to try achieving it with the Kamisori as well.

Still in.
Razor: RR German 37
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Semogue 830
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: MWF
A/S: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
This was my first use of MWF, and I was impressed. I test lathered with a synthetic before shaving, and honestly that seemed to work better. I have a love/hate relationship with that brush! Post-shave feel of MWF was terrific, and the scent is pleasant as well.
Have a great day y’all!
ACE6DD61-DCBB-462D-8B63-282583164EA6.jpeg

Top Bottom