What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
You sure picked the right market in this thread. :)
Again, I'm not supposed to say much, but you should check the GRUME RULES under Exceptions, 1.0.

beagle shopping.jpg

I dunno. I like using my M7's in Super and Manchurian with Williams. Great brushes for mug lathering. The longer handled Paladin Chief and the Mandarin work well also. Nothing like making a million dollar lather with a $200 brush and a 99 cent soap!

Beautiful brush, by the way.

Thanks, I like it 🙂 The brush is a 1950s Made Rite 750C catalin handle reknotted with the Shave Forge 2-band 20mm badger knot. Total investment $30 plus a half hour with the Dremel and a tube of silicone sealant, and it’s quite a performer.

I have a couple of these.

2236238F-FC02-4E06-B6CD-A5E04F7CF72D.jpeg
B7B321F5-0955-4AAF-9B83-4ED1985284D8.jpeg

I made these two years ago. The knots all came from Shave Forge and the handles from eBay. The 200TC has a synth horse knot which I hate and will be replaced. The 303 has a mixed hair knot which I really like, the 500PB the super badger knot (very soft) and then the 750C.

Still in.

For smoother blades, I can recommend:

Wilkinson Sword blade (India), Gillette 7 O'clock Black and Gillette Minora blades.

I've used these blades in Lupo 95, Game Changer 84 Open Comb and RazoRock BBS razor, and they all performed smoothly without any biting.

I too have similar growth pattern along with some mixed pattern coming from right side of the neck, which all converges around my Addams Apple.

I have never got a lasting BBS in that area till now, it is somewhat easier with the DE razor, I'll have to try achieving it with the Kamisori as well.
Thanks for the blade advice. I started out experimenting with "sharp" blades but now want to experience blades that are reported to be more so "comfortable". Will use information in June.

Last edited:
Exceptions:

1. Members may participate in B&B Group Buys or B&B branded shaving item purchases, because these may be limited items and all support this common ground. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. In an effort to stay true to restraints commitments, please limit B&B purchases to one (1) shaving item per month, including contributions to B&B! (All Non-Shaving B&B items are fair game.)
If I were a member of this GRUME... wait a minute... I AM a member of this GRUME!!! Well, if you are a member of this GRUME, you might want to keep an eye on all this "Beagle" talk that some guys (again, me) are starting. I ain't gonna say no more.
Again, I'm not supposed to say much, but you should check the GRUME RULES under Exceptions, 1.0.

Based on the clues thus far...I am in! We need another clue. Woof!🐶

Still In on the Nineteenth Day Of GRUME-er-ing...

Prep: Hot water splashes and a watery-soupy-soapy-bloom water mix of TABAC
Bowl lather of soap applied with Fendrihan brush
Jagger 89 with Nacet blade
Cold water splashes with Thayer's Lavender WH and Nivea Sensitive balm; Lucky Tiger on arms and hands

Thoughts

What is Owen Bawn up to?! (WOOF! 🐶 )

We want to know the rest of the story...

Good shave today. WTG on first pass and XTG on 2nd and 3rd pass.

Good Day!

PXL_20210519_155537146.PORTRAIT.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210519_155537146.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210519_155537146.PORTRAIT.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Still in.

Pre-Shave: Splash of Hot Water,
Lather: Soap Commander Endurance,
Brush: Yaqi 24 mm Moka express synthetic,
Razor: RR Game Changer ikon 84p,
Blade: Gillete 7 o'clock SharpEdge (2),
Post-shave: Stirling Spice,

Some days, the shaving Gods smile at you, and other days, not so much. None the less, a SAS and I'm grooving on Stirling's Spice aftershave.

A shout out to the Beagle whisperer. He reminded me of some great beagles I have known in my life.

I'm totally in for a B&B beagle-hair brush. I'd like mine in 24mm, please.

If I were a computer, I'd be crashing with a blue screen at this point. Since I'm a human, I'm just having some sort of vapor lock of the brain tissue.

1. I am in restraint
2. A brush comes along. I really want it, because I could really use a nice small-knot face-lathering brush, I like the black-brown handle, and all the signs point to it being of excellent quality and workmanship. Plus it's a limited time thing, grab it or miss out.
3. Instead of raising my restraint shield, and righteously shunning this brush, I can somehow consider it without breaking restraint? I can even regard it as having a bit of virtue, because I'm supporting the forum?

As they used to say in Mark Twain's time in the Nevada silver-mining territory, this is "too many for me." I think I'll sleep on it. Maybe my dreams will help me sort it out.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've been fooling around with this "Beagle" business all day. Literally. It's all I did today. I guess I have it pretty damned good.

With regard to the Beagle, I know that Group Buys are allowed in the Grume rules, but I want to say that it wasn't my intent to set anyone off on a spending spree by offering this brush. If you can order the brush and leave it at that, well that's fine. But if you think it will set off a treewhale, better to hold off and not make the purchase. Besides, Bernd from Shavemac has told us that the special offer will be available for a while, meaning you can finish the May Grume without worrying that you'll miss out.

If you do buy one, please add your name to the list on the Beagle Group Buy thread. Just so we have an idea how many we've sold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom