What's new

May 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Day 19 SOTD. Hot humid day in Texas means maximum freshness in setup.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SOTD
Timeless .95 OC
Feather blade x1
Simpson's Chubby 2 Synthetic
Panama 1924
Over done the lather. Face too wet as well as the brush. All my fault. An OK shave just not as good as it should have been. Should have started over but went for it instead. Always a next shave!
20190519_164327.jpg

I didn’t shave on Friday, had a lazy Saturday and waited until 2pm today to shave. This was a job for an old-school tool!

SOTD
  • Old Type thin cap head (#E83435) on a Fat Handle Tech handle
  • 7 O’clock Green (5)
  • B&M (Glissant) Cheshire/Dr. Jon’s Hydra (mash-up)
  • Maggard 24mm Synthetic
  • Thayers/Lucky Tiger/Stirling ASB
  • Stirling Sharp Dressed Man AS

20190521_115609.jpg
20190521_133354.jpg
] SOTD
Head and face.

Timeless Ti. 95 OC
Simpson's Chubby 2 Super
Astra SP x1
Captain's Choice bowl. (Went with the HD Copper)
A&E NYC soap and AS Balm​
Wife called and said we are going out with people she works with. Her pick was her fav, the A&E NYC. Done a head and face, applied NYC AS Balm and realized that A&E soap base is definitely up in my top 3 with PannaCrema Nuavia Blu and Boellis Panama 1924. Freakishly great head and face shave! 2 days growth with the most aggressive plate I have for my Timeless Titanium. Just....wonderful.... my rankings are now
1) PannaCrema Nuavia Blu
2) Boellis Panama 1924
3) A&E based soap. I have 4

Next head and face will be with Boellis Panama 1924! Just to rank.
20190521_115609.jpg

If anyone has as soap base better, I'm willing to try it in trade. I already have... SV, MdC, Perrerias, DG, AOS, TOBS, etc....

Last edited:
If anyone has as soap base better, I'm willing to try it in trade. I already have... SV, MdC, Perrerias, DG, AOS, TOBS, etc....
Have you tried Barrister and Mann's Glissant base? I like it quite a bit. If you're interested, I could spare an ounce the Cheshire that I have.

Guess I'm out. Got frustrated with lining up the Goatee with a DE. I'm anal with my beard in the winter and Goatee in the summer. I broke down and finally ordered a Feather Kamasori DX and 2 pack of blades. On top of that my daughter commandeered my Chubby 2 Synthetic so I had to order another. (Won't be here until June) She also took my A&E SoCal Hipster and L'Orange! I ordered A&E St Barts a lime coconut. God, this is gonna get expensive due to my daughter loving soaps and brushes. I did tell her my Chubby 2s in Best and Super are off limits. If she decides to go down that rabbit hole the cost is hers alone!

Love her so if the brush issue gets pushed, I'll give in! Dayum! What she wants, I'll give her....

I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!!

BOSC! Please stop! Yeah, right!

Last edited:
Feeling like hot garbage today with some sort of bug but have also had a huge work week worth celebrating. Had a comforting / celebratory shave tonight with what, again, could easily be a respectable desert island kit. (I feel a bit like a broken record!)

MdC OG (in glass, whoooo)
Semogue Amici
Karve with a new-to-me-via-trade SB F plate
Speick splash

The herbal / medicinal / lavendery vibe was exactly what the Dr ordered for both occasions, and I'm loving what I saw of the F SB plate so far.

Earcutter I'll be jumping into your Karve comparison now that I've logged some time with various plates and can speak somewhat intelligently. Suffice it to say, I understand the hype between the Karve, especially relative to the price of admission.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

May 22
IMG_20190522_063159-01.jpeg

J A Henckels 6/8" Friodur 72 1/2
Body Shop Maca Root and Aloe
Custom CRV in badger

A very cable cream and and effortless razor produced a very nice shave this morning.

Guess I'm out. Got frustrated with lining up the Goatee with a DE. I'm anal with my beard in the winter and Goatee in the summer. I broke down and finally ordered a Feather Kamasori DX and 2 pack of blades. On top of that my daughter commandeered my Chubby 2 Synthetic so I had to order another. (Won't be here until June) She also took my A&E SoCal Hipster and L'Orange! I ordered A&E St Barts a lime coconut. God, this is gonna get expensive due to my daughter loving soaps and brushes. I did tell her my Chubby 2s in Best and Super are off limits. If she decides to go down that rabbit hole the cost is hers alone!

Love her so if the brush issue gets pushed, I'll give in! Dayum! What she wants, I'll give her....

I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!!

BOSC! Please stop! Yeah, right!

Wow - sorry for your loss(es)!

We're now at 16-for-23.

1) @FoolishMortal
2) Wtd1911 - out
3) @CzechCzar - 2019
4) @02flhtci
5) @RTM
6) PeteVK - out
7) Earcutter - out
8) Basil - out
9) @Timeclo
10) Boar Fighter - out
11) @Captain Whiskers
12) @Adam18
13) @Schnitzel52
14) @Steinmetzify
15) @.soap.
16) Gary Tha - withdrawn, focused on 2019
17) @sharktown
18) naughtilus - out
19) @Rory1262
20) Heron - out
21) @steffenapelz
22) @gwsmallwood
23) @RumpleBearskin
24) @masonjarjar

Ok y'all I have several soaps that I've never used and want to use this time to try them out... of the three brands below, which should I try out first?

Catie's Bubbles
Henri Et Victoria
Soap Commander

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom