What's new

May 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

The Soap Commander had a pretty nice first run.

Based on face feel, ingredients list, and age of the artisan, I'm assuming this is one of the reverse engineered MdC clones that exploded onto the artisan scene during a hiatus of mine.

Nice stuff. I'm intrigued and could see this brand sticking around in my den for the long haul. I need to make a note to grab their endurance / old spice scent once the GRUME has concluded.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

May 25 SOTD
IMG_20190525_120004-01.jpeg

Frederick Reynolds 6/8” Near Wedge
Highlands Springs Soap Company, Kootenay Blue
Omega in Silvertip

Wonderful shave from my favorite razor. And my first time with an HSSC soap. It came as a sample in the Big Shave S'West loot bag. Really liked the scent and great residual slickness.

SOTD
Timeless Ti .95 OC
Astra SP x2
Simpson's Chubby 2 Synthetic
Czech & Speake O&C
Face lather​

I know I'm out for this month but this shave I had to post. I haven't used this soap in a long time. Guess I'm like everyone with BOSC. Chase the best new artisan soap and such. Something said to give the Czech & Speake a go, you really liked it months ago. So with 4 days growth I did. I now understand an aspect of GRUME. We have great soaps now days but we forget about the hidden gems that have a rich history and are still with us that are in the back of our dens. This isn't a new soap but it's a damn fine soap. I found a puck of 88 I haven't even tried yet! I got one of the best BBS shaves ever tonight. I'm done buying soaps for now. I did need to replace some that my daughter took also a brush. I have 25+ now and need to use and appreciate them. I've gotten rid of all soaps I didn't like. Gentlemen, please revisit some of your gems. Technique, lathering and equipment we have changed and improved over time. Give the soap gems another go. You will be surprised! Took the picture post shave.

What I bought is replacements plus something I have been pinning over for awhile. I'm in for all future months of GRUME.
20190525_221123.jpg

I haven't been taking pictures because the last few shaves have been more or less the same as prior setups. That said, this morning's shave was one of the best I have ever managed. Here was the equipment:

- Hawaiian Shaving Co Preshave
- Oleo Soapworks Don Luis (Canard)
- RR GC84
- Personna Red Blade
- Hawaiian Shaving Co AS (witchhazel)
- Eufros Gea ASB

End result was stunning BBS approaching a glass surface and the skin felt like I had never shaved. Unreal.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

SOTD
HEAD SHAVE ONLY
Timeless Ti .95 OC
Simpson's Chubby 2 Synthetic
Astra x3
D.R. Harris Marlborough Cream (revisit)
Captain's Choice Copper HD bowl.
Great 2 pass plus a couple pickup spots. Nice cream, I am a soap guy. No nicks, cuts or irritation. Post shave was Proraso post shave balm and Proraso Green AS just because family is coming over. Probably didn't need it. Have a fantastic Memorial Day. I thank everyone for their service to our country. Both those living and those who have passed. Especially those who gave their lives.
20190527_102426.jpg

May 27 SOTD

Rolls Razor
(and a Gillette Ball-end Old Type with an Astra SP)
Edwin Jager Pomegranates and Lime
Maggard's Black and White
IMG_20190527_114854-01.jpeg

First shave with a Rolls. Acquired it last month in fantastic condition. But found a couple of minor chips in the edge. Finally honed them out yesterday and shaved with it today. Managed three passes. Fun factor was off the charts. But the shave was CCS to DFS overall. Not bad, but not what I'm used to. So I finished things off with XTG and ATG passes with the Old Type for a wonderful BBS in 5 passes. I figured the alum would scream, but hardly anything. So 5 careful passes with no irritation.

Today was also a first for the EJ cream. The sample was from the Big Shave S'West last month. This cream exploded with just a bit of water. I was astounded with the volume of lather produced from about 1/4 of their tiny sample container and a bit of water. Great scent. Great glide. Excellent residual slickness. May have to add this to my den ... in 5 years or so when I get through everything I already have...

No picture yet again:

- Mickey Lee Preshave Butter
- Ariana & Evans "Vetiver Magnifique" Soap
- RR Mamba53
- AstraSP blade
- RR Chrome Silvertip Synthetic Brush
- Thayer's Original Witchhazel (alcohol-free)
- Eufros Vetyver ASB

Just barely a BBS bordering on DFS. Zero touchup and I was quick and sloppy. Face feels awesome anyway.

Weber DLC, SS Delor, and CL Delor were all simply superb.

This Omega pro brush was a shedding disappointment!
proxy.php

Taking the wife out for her Birthday. She picked A&E NYC soap and AS balm. Great scent! Fantastic head and face shave. New Chubby 2 Synthetic.
20190529_163202.jpg

Only two more days!
I'm getting itchy to buy more blades but will hold off and scratch the itch!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Checking in late, but holding firm. Just a couple more days...

For those doing June (and I will start that thread soon), remember that June 1 is your restocking day for items you need, or will need, to get through the month.

After not shaving while camping for the holiday weekend:

SOTD
  • Single Ring (A538840 = 1908)
  • 7 O’clock Green (8)
  • Antica Barbieria Colla di Franco Bompieri
  • Elite Razors custom amboyna burl beehive badger
  • Thayers/Lucky Tiger/Stirling ASB
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS

I will have to excuse myself for June. I need to buy some pre-shave and post-shave from Hawaiian Shaving Co for a trip I have coming up...and I am almost out of their product altogether. July should work again though.

I will have to excuse myself for June. I need to buy some pre-shave and post-shave from Hawaiian Shaving Co for a trip I have coming up...and I am almost out of their product altogether. July should work again though.
You can restock on 6/1 if you wish to participate [emoji106]

Again, this is a "restraint", not a "sabbatical". If you need a product, buying it doesn't put you out. To be truly safe, though, just buy it on 6/1, as that's the re-stock date. :)

Again, this is a "restraint", not a "sabbatical". If you need a product, buying it doesn't put you out. To be truly safe, though, just buy it on 6/1, as that's the re-stock date. :)

I didn't realize restraint meant you can buy something...I have been on a sabbatical in that case. I will reorder on 6/1 and will then be in the June GRUME, as well.

Top Bottom