What's new

Four Italian, Almond Scented Soaps Compared

I didn't really intend to do a comparison between these four soaps but I ended up using them each for my last four shaves. I thought my experience was pretty eye opening.

The four soaps:

1. Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Shave Cream $79.00 for 100ml -- Stearic Acid, Aqua (Water), Cocos Nucifera Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Carbonate

2. Boellis Panama 1924 Shaving Soap $48 for 250 grams -- Aqua, stearic acid, palmitic acid, tallow, cocos nucifera, potassium hydroxide, potassium carbonate, tetrasodium edta, parfum

3. Tcheon Fung Sing Red Shaving Soap $6 for 125 ml -- Stearic Acid, Aqua(Water), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance (Parfum), Potassium Carbonate

4. Razorock P160 $8 for 150 ml -- Stearic Acid, Water(Eau), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium, Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Tallow Acid, Hydrogenated Lanolin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea)Butter,Fragrance(Parfum), Argania Spinosa (Argan)Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Extract(Aloe)

The shaving process was the same for each soap. 48 hours of growth. Timeless Ti .68 oc razor with Personna Lab Blue blade. Equal amounts of soap each shave. No post shave treatment of any kind; just a cold water rinse.

What was indistinguishable between the four soaps:

Each soap lathered very easily and produced plenty of lather. Each soap was also equally protective and slick. I don't think I could tell the difference between these four soaps in terms of performance during the shave. Post shave they each left my skin drier than most modern artisan soaps and the better performing European soaps like SV, MdC, etc, but not terribly so.

Where they were different:

Scent. The ABC and Boellis had a cleaner, more pure almond scent, especially compared to the TFS which was sweeter and had more cherry to it. I also detected a very slight chemical type note to the TFS scent and to a lesser degree the Razorock. I don't really know exactly how to describe it other than they just weren't quite as pure smelling.

The only other difference might have been the post shave performance of BP. If it was any better it was very slight. I need to go back and use it again to see if it was truly better or not.

Conclusion: The inexpensive soaps performed just as well as the expensive soaps. I definitely wouldn't buy ABC again and would only buy BP if I can confirm that it truly does have a better post shave feel and wanted to treat myself to a slightly more pure scent. Other than that, I'll stick with TFS and Razorock from now on.

It would be interesting to see how you rate the ABC Soap vs the other three soaps (as opposed to the cream).
As others have mentioned, there are a plethora of Italian Almond scented soaps including (off the top of my head)

- Cella
- Vitos Extra
- Vitos Supercrema
- Vitos Vegetal
- 3P
- Figaro
- Saponificio Annamaria - Fillide (flies under the radar, but an excellent base)
- Mondial

Of the ones I have tried:

Cella: Clearly a good, possibly excellent soap, but my skin reacts immediately to the fragrance ingredients so I can't use it.
TFS: Just okay.
VITOS Extra (Super Coco): Good to excellent. Slight skin tingle on the second pass, presumably caused by the same ingredient as the Cella being present in lower quantities, but not unusable. When it's dialled in it competes with artisans on performance.
3P: It was a long time ago, but my recollections of this one are very positive. No skin issues and a great performing, simple vegetarian base. If only I could find 1kg blocks I would buy one, but it seems to be on the way out.

I suspect that your Razorock soap was made by TFS - it's probably the same base with added butters, lanolin, etc.

totally enjoy all my almond flavored (largely) italian shave soaps!!
real classics! all shave great as well!
granted, some are out of production, and glad i have a small cache!
yet, several others are still plentiful, fortunately!!

almond shave soaps.jpg

It would be interesting to see how you rate the ABC Soap vs the other three soaps (as opposed to the cream).
As others have mentioned, there are a plethora of Italian Almond scented soaps including (off the top of my head)

- Cella
- Vitos Extra
- Vitos Supercrema
- Vitos Vegetal
- 3P
- Figaro
- Saponificio Annamaria - Fillide (flies under the radar, but an excellent base)
- Mondial

Unfortunately I don't have the ABC soap. However, given the price of the cream and it's lackluster performance compared to much cheaper options I don't think I'd be inclined to purchase the soap even if I knew where it was in stock. Ymmv.

Top Bottom