What's new

Making Scales

I've got all the equipment I need for making scales but need some advice. I tried cutting the first pair our of bird's eye maple, 1/8" thick and the narrow end split when I tried to pin the blade in. Should I cut the scales thicker?

Rich

Always acknowledge a fault frankly. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.”
– Mark Twain

No I think you just need to peen softer and use a better wood finish? You should not have cracked the scale just from peening.

I put 5 coats of tung & teak oil.
Rich

“If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.” – Mark Twain

I've got all the equipment I need for making scales but need some advice. I tried cutting the first pair our of bird's eye maple, 1/8" thick and the narrow end split when I tried to pin the blade in. Should I cut the scales thicker?

Rich

Always acknowledge a fault frankly. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.” – Mark Twain
Not enough info to give you an answer. Pardon me for asking a "did-you-turn-the-power-on question... but did you drill holes for the pins, or try to pound them through like a nail?

Top Bottom