What's new

Blade dings on side of scale

Well. I’m still unable to assemble it without the blade hitting the scales. I think it’s to do with post 17.

If I think of the tang being in one plane and the blade portion(the part that gets honed) in another plane… i want both of them to be in the same plane and centered. In this one they’re at an angle to each other

Sometimes I am able to place the index finger and thumb of each of my hands around each pin and gently bend the scales to center the blade. This may shed some light on the root cause. In some cases, this has resulted in the blade remaining centered - not sure why.

I've tried dry fitting so many things by now - pasted half thrust washers to move the blade one way or the other - in various positions, spacer wedge, bigger angled wedge, .... nothing seems to work. The only suggestion I haven't tried is to use epoxy weld to square the pivot hole on the tang. I know there are probably millions of razors for which the punched hole works - but I have to try this. I've ordered JB-weld which should arrive in a few days. Will post an update here.

How about a photo with the edge straight up and the tang perpendicular to a flat surface, perhaps held in a clamp or block or wood with a kerf the size of the tang, next to a small square.

Is the blade is warped/twisted, (from heat treat), not ground centered, the tang not ground straight or is the tail bent. Can’t tell from the photo in 17.

What you want to find out, are the tang sides parallel to each other and/or the edge centered with the tang and spine.

In other words, is the problem the tang or the blade?

Once you find out you can shim with cardboard or wood veneer strips and CA glue to compensate and experiment easily and reversibly. Then make a more permanent repair, e.g., CA, baking soda and a file at the pivot.

I hope that pic’s good enough.
IMG_3308.jpeg

It does seem was mistaken in an earlier post thinking it titled to one side. This seems straight enough and tang aligned to blade/edge

You can adjust how it centers a bit depending on where you tighten your pins it can adjust how the blade centers
takes some feel and experience

Top Bottom