What's new

LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread!

What a lovely razor! It seems to be in the same condition as mine too. Mine is a 1959 code E-3 195 Fatboy. What is your date code on yours? I am so glad that you finally got this razor @LRod. Your going to really love it I think. If you like aggressive razors, then I suggest starting your WTG passes on level 7 through 9. You can do your XTG passes on level 6 through 7 without issues I think. And do your ATG passes on levels 3 to 5. With a Wizamet blade in it, I think you might find this razor to be a very smooth shaver. Of course, with everything in this hobby, in the end, YMMV.

I've been looking at wooden razor and brush stands as well, and I just couldn't get myself to justify the purchase on one. That is a unique one that you bough, I don't even know what some of those spots are used for. I will be very pleased to see this stand filled up with stuff, so that I may see how you have used it.

Cool stuff buddy, thanks for sharing!
The Fatboy is an E-4 (59'). Same year as yours!
I've used it plenty already in different settings. My ideal is #5!
Those are laboratory test tube racks. Learned about them on another thread here on B&B.
It's a cheap way to rack up the razors!
The one I got has 13 slots for the razors.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
The Fatboy is an E-4 (59'). Same year as yours!
I've used it plenty already in different settings. My ideal is #5!
Those are laboratory test tube racks. Learned about them on another thread here on B&B.
It's a cheap way to rack up the razors!
The one I got has 13 slots for the razors.

Ahh 1959 a good year for Fatboy's! Your's was made in the 4th quarter I see, very nice. :blush:

Well, I couldn't hold back the pressure, I had to release it by buying this. So forget what I said in my last post, its now been made irrelevant. And yet another item that won't get here until later September. But, at least once it does get here, I will feel like my shave den will be boosted.

1661371582693.png

What can I say, you and I gotta have our stands!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Ahh 1959 a good year for Fatboy's! Your's was made in the 4th quarter I see, very nice. :blush:

Well, I couldn't hold back the pressure, I had to release it by buying this. So forget what I said in my last post, its now been made irrelevant. And yet another item that won't get here until later September. But, at least once it does get here, I will feel like my shave den will be boosted.

View attachment 1510722

What can I say, you and I gotta have our stands!
Yes we do have to have our stands! :thumbup:
20220824_145101[1].jpg

Here's a couple stands I made myself. My Fatboy, not pictured here, is also an E4!:thumbup1:

~doug~

A (new to me) undated Super Speed arrived today!
Excellent condition!
I've already put it through an Ultrasonic/Dawn bath.
It will be up for tonight's shave:

full

full

full
First shave with this Super Speed tonight.
2 pass WTG/XTG
(Wilkinson German blade)
It definitely is more aggressive & efficient than my 58" Red Tip
I compared the two side by side and it seems to have more blade gap & exposure.
The handle makes it sing. Tons of audible feedback.
I wont compare it's aggressiveness to my adjustables for obvious reasons, LOL!
This is an awesome razor that has all the characteristics that I love in a razor.
For me, Gillette did everything right with the head design, handle, balance and the weight.
I absolutely love it!

I've got a Black Tip coming in tomorrow and I'm real curious how it'll compare to this one.
We'll see!

Last edited:
My new Black tip Super Speed has arrived!

I had no idea of the year because the seller put no details. All I had to go by were the pictures and hope.
It arrived dirty so I put it in the ultrasonic cleaner and brushed it.
When I was done, I discovered the most pristine vintage razor that I own.
Pictures do it no justice!
It's absolutely mint as if it lay dormant it's whole life. I also discovered that it was made in 1952.
The best one yet on my low cost search.
$15 shipped for this baby!:)

full

full

full

full

I ordered one of these today from "A popular auction site" for $12.99!
Seems like a nice wooden option that's 2 tier which will save space on my vanity.
This should finally give me some organization for displaying my most used razors:

full
My rack arrived today. The quality is a joke but it did cost me like $12.
Feels like unfinished balsa wood!
(Look at the notches on the left. They glued it without clamping it together, LOL!!)
It'll do for now! At least I'm closer to fully organizing my stuff.
I'll get a nice one later on!

full

My rack arrived today. The quality is a joke but it did cost me like $12.
Feels like unfinished balsa wood!
(Look at the notches on the left. They glued it without clamping it together, LOL!!)
It'll do for now! At least I'm closer to fully organizing my stuff.
I'll get a nice one later on!

full
You are probably going to need at least a two rack solution. One for somewhere out of sight, one for display. And a small one for the one in use.

I had no idea of the year because the seller put no details. All I had to go by were the pictures and hope.
It's absolutely mint as if it lay dormant it's whole life. I also discovered that it was made in 1952.

full

full

full

full
First shave with the black tip last night!
2 pass WTG/XTG
(Wilkinson German blade)
Less aggressive than my pre 1951 SS that I received two days ago. Feels lighter too! It's very mild and definitely has less blade feel. Efficiency remains the same though. The whole razor also feel lighter and it's quieter.
Excellent shave and it'll be in my rotation, but I like the other SS more.
Like I previously said, the pre 51' is pretty much perfect for a non adjustable.

LRod

A couple more unexpected auctions won today!

I have a late 60's Schick Krona that I love. Since I bought it, I said that I would look for one that is "New old stock".
Well, I got two for the price of one that are "New old stock", LOL!!
Incredible price at $26 for the pair:

full

Next up, a 1940's Gillette Gold tone Ball end Tech in amazing condition with it's box!
$20 for this one:

full

Another Red Tip on it's way!
I already have a 58' but this one is a 55'.
I didn't want to buy any other razor for a while but I offered $19 for the heck of it and they actually accepted. Seems to be in pretty nice shape so I believe it was a great deal at that price. I'm sure this one will clean up real nice:

full

full

full

full

full
There are two different versions of the Black Tip. They were made in 1951-52. Some have an aluminum handle and others have a brass handle (like yours). The Aluminum handled version (below left) weighs 39 g while the brass handled one (below right) weighs 46 g. They shave great like pretty much all Super Speeds. You are definitely progressing down the rabbit hole. I would say I'll see you at the bottom, but I still seem to be going deeper, so you have some catching up to do ;).

PXL_20220830_194433124.jpg

The brass handled versions also have a washer located between the black plastic tip and the body that is not present in the Aluminum handled ones. I've actually got four Black Tips, two Aluminum (1951 W4 and 1952 X1) and two brass (1951 W4 and 1952 X2). I have them largely because they are so inexpensive to buy.

full

full

full

full
Well, that ended up being a helluva deal!

In my new search for cheap vintage razors, I accidentally ran into one of these. I've heard of them and know that they were made by Merkur but know nothing beyond that. Not much new info. here on B&B. So far I've stuck with finding Gillette's and Schick but found this one interesting. I believe they are pretty rare. This one includes it's original case and original Hoffritz blades. Seems to be in nice shape and should clean up well. I'll keep it as a unique collectors piece.
I offered $20 and they accepted!
Should be on it's way to me in a couple of days.
What do you think?

full

Top Bottom