What's new

LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread!

My OC Nickel Grande arrived today after being lost in transit!
Nothing special in terms of what I already have since my Gunmetal finish OC Grande is the same thing.
But I wanted the Nickel because the finish is supposed to last longer.
And I like the look of the nickel finish!
The OC Grande OC (as I've said before) is my favorite so far so it makes sense to have it since I'll be using it a lot.
It's funny that this one comes in a sort of plain little box. All the other ones have come in a nicer and bigger box.
This is the cheapest of the Fatip's so maybe that's why. Incredibly It's under $20 but it looks and feels like a much more expensive razor!

full

full

Well folks, I never delved into anything vintage. I like modern razors and never really had an interest in old razors. But I decided to try one out for the first time. I hear so many great things about these vintage razors on B&B that it was just a matter of time before I would buy one. A "new" vintage razor seemed like a good way to go the vintage route. And my choice for a first vintage razor was a Superspeed. I based my decision on researching (on B&B) what I might like in a vintage razor. The Superspeed seems to fit the bill!
I found a "New old stock" 1963 Gillette Superspeed flare tip!
Should be here next week!
Note: I know zilch about vintage so hopefully this works out😄

Another thing: I'm stopping here for a while (for real). Time to cool off the RAD!!

full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
So I shaved tonight with the Fatip Gold Lo Storto slant Closed comb.
I was extremely surprised since my OC slant shaves haven't been the best.
It was my favorite shave compared to the other Fatip heads.
I believe that this is the sweet spot Fatip (for me)
I had my usual daily 2 pass WTG/XTG shave and it was great.
This has been the only Fatip where the blade aligns perfectly on the first try. The posts somehow seem to have the proper diameter where the blade just hugs the posts.
This is an excellent razor!

So right now, this is the order of what heads I've liked most:

#1 Closed comb slant (super smooth and efficient enough. Much more efficient than the closed comb classic)
#2 OC Classic (semi smooth and very efficient)
#3 Closed comb classic (extremely smooth but lacks some efficiency)
#4 OC slant (This one gets the #4 spot just because it's one of the 4 available heads. But I honestly don't like it! Good efficiency but a rough shaver for me) Note: I've already tried multiple blades and assure that they are perfectly aligned every time and I get the same result!

Favorite order of handles:

#1 Grande (perfect weight & perfect diameter that gives the best balance for the whole razor)
#2 il Grosso
#3 Storto
#4 Piccolo

Order in terms of weight differences of handles:
-The il Grosso is really heavy (it's a solid handle)
-The Grande would be the next heaviest
-The Lo Sorto (medium-weight)
-The Piccolo (lightest)

So that's my comparison!
For me the perfect Fatip would be the closed comb slant with a Grande handle (they don't make this combo).
And unfortunately Fatip doesn't sell separate parts. At some point I'll probably just buy a Gold Grande OC just to use the handle on the closed comb slant. I see it as the only way!
As always, YMMV!
LRod

So I shaved tonight with the Fatip Gold Lo Storto slant Closed comb.
I was extremely surprised since my OC slant shaves haven't been the best.
It was my favorite shave compared to the other Fatip heads.
I believe that this is the sweet spot Fatip (for me)
I had my usual daily 2 pass WTG/XTG shave and it was great.
This has been the only Fatip where the blade aligns perfectly on the first try. The posts somehow seem to have the proper diameter where the blade just hugs the posts.
This is an excellent razor!

So right now, this is the order of what heads I've liked most:

#1 Closed comb slant (super smooth and efficient enough. Much more efficient than the closed comb classic)
#2 OC Classic (semi smooth and very efficient)
#3 Closed comb classic (extremely smooth but lacks some efficiency)
#4 OC slant (This one gets the #4 spot just because it's one of the 4 available heads. But I honestly don't like it! Good efficiency but a rough shaver for me) Note: I've already tried multiple blades and assure that they are perfectly aligned every time and I get the same result!

Favorite order of handles:

#1 Grande (perfect weight & perfect diameter that gives the best balance for the whole razor)
#2 il Grosso
#3 Storto
#4 Piccolo

Order in terms of weight differences of handles:
-The il Grosso is really heavy (it's a solid handle)
-The Grande would be the next heaviest
-The Lo Sorto (medium-weight)
-The Piccolo (lightest)

So that's my comparison!
For me the perfect Fatip would be the closed comb slant with a Grande handle (they don't make this combo).
And unfortunately Fatip doesn't sell separate parts. At some point I'll probably just buy a Gold Grande OC just to use the handle on the closed comb slant. I see it as the only way!
As always, YMMV!
LRod
Note: I should have specified: My results are based on what I've experienced during my shaves and aren't official. i.e., Handle weights!
Just wanted to point that out.
More reason to say YMMV, Lol!

A few things arrived today from Groomatorium. They have a nice "mega sale" clearance section that I highly recommend. I've bought twice from them and they're an excellent vendor.
I bought a Razorock Plissoft Barber synthetic brush. My daily is the Disruptor that has a 22mm knot but I wanted to try a bigger knot. The Barber version has a 24mm knot. It was $8.99. They also have the 22mm Disruptor for $5.99,
insanely good deals!
I also bought a big bottle of Jeris Musk aftershave. Years ago I used the Aqua Velva musk and loved it. Recently I ordered it from Amazon and it was horrible. It smelled like watered down & scented alcohol. I got rid of it!
So I saw the Jeris musk for $4.99 and couldn't say no. I haven't used it yet (I will tonight) but I took a whiff from the bottle and it seems to smell great. I remember these in glass bottles when I would go to the barber when I was young!
And I also received 3 containers of Tres Flores (Three Flowers) molding pomade.
This is what I usually use every day and it's fantastic stuff. It's water based so it washes out easily and doesn't flake.
Excellent product!
And they had it on sale for $2.99 which was a definite no brainer!

full

full

full

full

Well folks, my 63' Super Speed just arrived in the mail! My first vintage razor!
This razor is pristine and shows no signs of wear. Looks like it was stored it's whole life. Zero pitting, not a scratch and it functions perfectly. For it's age, it's as new as it can be!
Even the case is pristine! I'm extremely happy with my purchase and I believe I got an excellent deal for less than if I would have bought a new modern lower tier razor. It's stunning!:)
I'll give it an ultrasonic bath today to sanitize it and it'll be up for tonights shave:

PXL_20220725_175204859.jpg
PXL_20220725_175007353.jpg
PXL_20220725_175025166.jpg
PXL_20220725_175050864.jpg
PXL_20220725_175059328.jpg
PXL_20220725_175117769.jpg

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Well folks, my 63' Super Speed just arrived in the mail! My first vintage razor!
This razor is pristine and shows no signs of wear. Looks like it was stored it's whole life. Zero pitting, not a scratch and it functions perfectly. For it's age, it's as new as it can be!
Even the case is pristine! I'm extremely happy with my purchase and I believe I got an excellent deal for less than if I would have bought a new modern lower tier razor. It's stunning!:)
I'll give it an ultrasonic bath today to sanitize it and it'll be up for tonights shave:

View attachment 1493950View attachment 1493955View attachment 1493954View attachment 1493953View attachment 1493952View attachment 1493951
She's a beauty @LRod :cornut:

I'd skip the ultrasonic and just give her an overnight soak in Dawn and warm water. For sanitization a diluted mixture of Barbicide (that is what hairdresser's use) will do the trick.

~doug~

She's a beauty @LRod :cornut:

I'd skip the ultrasonic and just give her an overnight soak in Dawn and warm water. For sanitization a diluted mixture of Barbicide (that is what hairdresser's use) will do the trick.

~doug~
Thanks! Unfortunately I read this too late. I Ultrasonic cleaned it early today plus I soft brushed it with Dawn. But it came out great.
Here is how it looks now:

First shave with my Superspeed!
2 pass WTG/XTG, Gillette Platinum blade (Figured I would initiate it with a same brand blade)
Oh man! Wow!!!
Smooth as butter and efficient as can be. The result was an almost BBS shave.
I'm impressed and sad at the same time that I never gave a look at these vintage Gillette's.
Caught up in all the modern razors that are hyped and don't hold a candle to this one. I've spent a lot of money with all the mid & high tier razors!! I understand now the love for vintage!
I learned something tonight:
Don't fix what ain't broken! I guess our Grandfather's knew something that we didn't!
This razors blade alignment is perfect and it clamps the blade down as good as anything modern. It feels great and has perfect balance and maneuverability.
I'm really dumbfounded!
The only modern razor that I have that I can say that is equivalent is my Made in the USA Above the Tie Windsor SS 0.80 SSRH. Other than that, the others are nice in their own right but I guess just different!

In other news,
I've purchased a birth year/birth quarter superspeed for really cheap. Seems to be in decent shape (especially the black handle) and with a good cleaning should be a nice piece:

full

full

Next up is the search for a step up in aggressiveness (A red tip). I'm going to take my time and find a nice one and might even get it replated if necessary. I need to slow down a bit with the buying so I'm gonna take it easy.
I say that because I know that now the vintage bug will hit me and we all know how that flows.
LRod

I took my time and found both a Flare Tip and Red Tip in my birth year/quarter, and I do prefer the Red Tip. While your looking at vintage, it would be remiss to overlook a Slim, after all, James Bond used one!:thumbup1:

~doug~
I bought a red tip today for $20. Just to try one and make sure I like the shave! From there, I'll either replate it or by a nice one:

Post in thread 'I've bought my first vintage razor (a Superspeed)! Tell me about my choice!' I've bought my first vintage razor (a Superspeed)! Tell me about my choice! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/ive-bought-my-first-vintage-razor-a-superspeed-tell-me-about-my-choice.627326/post-11863118

I totally forgot about my thread, LOL!
I hadn't added any of my last few purchases:

58' Super Speed Red Tip (I hadn't posted pictures of this one here):

full

Schick Krona (Late 60's short metal tip):

full

62' Slim Adjustable:

full

76' Super Adjustable 109:

full

Late 40's Ball end Tech (Should arrive on Monday):

full

Had a first shave with my 40's Tech!
As compared to the Super Speed's and adjustables, it's different.
It's on the milder side resulting in less efficiency but still very smooth.
This would be a nice travel shaver (because of the size) but I wouldn't have it as a daily shaver.
I like 2 passes and with this one, I'd have to up it to 3 passes to get my desired results!
The handle on these is small and thin but still retains good weight & balance (not my preferred size though).
It reminds me a lot of the Merkur 33C but the Tech is still better.
So that's it!
It'll join the collection but will be cleaned and put away.
I'm sure it will be out for a revisit at some point or if I choose it for travel some day.
LRod

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Had a first shave with my 40's Tech!
As compared to the Super Speed's and adjustables, it's different.
It's on the milder side resulting in less efficiency but still very smooth.
This would be a nice travel shaver (because of the size) but I wouldn't have it as a daily shaver.
I like 2 passes and with this one, I'd have to up it to 3 passes to get my desired results!
The handle on these is small and thin but still retains good weight & balance (not my preferred size though).
It reminds me a lot of the Merkur 33C but the Tech is still better.
So that's it!
It'll join the collection but will be cleaned and put away.
I'm sure it will be out for a revisit at some point or if I choose it for travel some day.
LRod
I've been told, the British Flat Bottom Techs are the most efficient of the bunch. I'll have to fall back on the experience of others here since I don't plan to buy any of the other Techs. I really do enjoy shaving with my EFB Tech, I will say that.

I have a British 1933 NEW Raised Bottom razor on the way.. it finally left Los Angeles yesterday.... working its way to the "next destination". I'll probably get an update later today from USPS. They are supposed to be another very nice shaving Vintage Gillette razor. I'm hoping that is the case.

I was just informed by @mgweatherly, there is an interesting birth year razor out there, in case I'm ever truly interested, i.e., the President.... if I understand correctly, it was only manufactured from 1953 to 1955. They are a limited edition variation on the Aristocrat, evidently.

Too pricey for me at the moment. I'd rather buy my "one modern" razor. I'm doing what @LRod did for that, without the dedicated thread.... trying to figure which modern would work best with my skin and whiskers, etc. I'm in no rush. It's a bit of a daunting task, since I don't have enough experience to even know.... do I like mild but efficient razors? do I want a step up in efficiency? I only know two razors at the moment and I'm really just learning about the second one. After 5 shaves, I'd getting familiar with my British Flat Bottom Tech but I'm getting shaves as close as I do with my Claymore Evolution.

I've been told, the British Flat Bottom Techs are the most efficient of the bunch. I'll have to fall back on the experience of others here since I don't plan to buy any of the other Techs. I really do enjoy shaving with my EFB Tech, I will say that.

I have a British 1933 NEW Raised Bottom razor on the way.. it finally left Los Angeles yesterday.... working its way to the "next destination". I'll probably get an update later today from USPS. They are supposed to be another very nice shaving Vintage Gillette razor. I'm hoping that is the case.

I was just informed by @mgweatherly, there is an interesting birth year razor out there, in case I'm ever truly interested, i.e., the President.... if I understand correctly, it was only manufactured from 1953 to 1955. They are a limited edition variation on the Aristocrat, evidently.

Too pricey for me at the moment. I'd rather buy my "one modern" razor. I'm doing what @LRod did for that, without the dedicated thread.... trying to figure which modern would work best with my skin and whiskers, etc. I'm in no rush. It's a bit of a daunting task, since I don't have enough experience to even know.... do I like mild but efficient razors? do I want a step up in efficiency? I only know two razors at the moment and I'm really just learning about the second one. After 5 shaves, I'd getting familiar with my British Flat Bottom Tech but I'm getting shaves as close as I do with my Claymore Evolution.
Those Presidents seem pretty amazing. Very pricey indeed!
I wouldn't see myself spending that on a razor (maybe), Lol!!
I'm buying a vintage variety right now for fair prices. Once I feel that I have tried and collected a broad amount, then I'll pinpoint some models that are at a higher cost. I've been looking at those British flat bottoms and the Pre war Gillette's as they seem very efficient. I might get those at some point. I will say though that the adjustables are very efficient and they pretty much check all my boxes.

I totally forgot about my thread, LOL!
I hadn't added any of my last few purchases:

58' Super Speed Red Tip (I hadn't posted pictures of this one here):

full

Schick Krona (Late 60's short metal tip):

full

62' Slim Adjustable:

full

76' Super Adjustable 109:

full

Late 40's Ball end Tech (Should arrive on Monday):

full
Those are all great purchases. I'm interested to read your thoughts on the Schick Krona when you have a chance to give it a try.

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom