What's new

LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread!

Shave report on my new closed comb Grande Chrome Fatip:
My usual 2 pass WTG/XTG nightly shave,
Wilkinson Sword (German) blade
TOBS Cedarwood shaving cream

My main reason for buying this one was to meet my goal of trying out the four Fatip heads. I have one left to try and buy (the closed comb slant).
To be brief, the shave was essentially the same as with the OC classic with a couple of differences.
1. The OC is a tad smoother. I think since these razors have barely any blade gap, the closed comb kind of puts the brakes as you run it across your face. One other thing to note is that the OC has more blade feel.
2. The closed comb doesn't take and spread the lather as the OC does. I might have to adjust my lather for this one and make it more wet by adjusting my usual water/lather ratio. This created some areas that were shaved with no issues but with less lather since the head didn't properly spread it.

Other than that, it was a great shave with the same close and efficient results as the OC.
I yet to understand what magic Fatip has since it's got barely any blade gap. And on the closed comb you can't barely see the blade exposed. But it mows down the growth like my aggressive razors. The closed comb had zero blade alignment issues vs. the OC that needs some tweaking.
I ended up with a near BBS shave with absolutely no issues.

So far my favorites in order are:
1. Classic Open Comb Grande
2. Testina Gentile (Closed Comb) Grande
3. La Storto (slant) Open Comb

LRod

I placed an order for a Fatip il Grosso OC in Gold!
This will be Fatip #5 and I think I'll stop there (for now). The only other head to try is the closed comb slant but I really have no interest in that one.
I guess I'll be a guinea pig for this one since barely no information exists for this razor.
It doesn't even show up on Fatip's website!
The size & weight + the supposed head "improvements" are what got me interested.
I surprisingly sold a razor today and those funds fully covered this purchase:)
I bought it at Fendrihan and apparently it was the last one because it went out of stock as soon as I bought it.
$34.99 and free shipping starts at $35🤣
I threw in a tuck of Nacets (which I've never tried) for $1.99 so that got me free shipping plus something that I'll actually use.
Fendrihan's like 45 minutes from me so it should arrive pretty quick. This is my first time ever buying from them!
I'll post the day it arrives and a shave report then!

Il Grosso.jpg

The il Grosso is set to arrive tomorrow. I'm looking forward to shaving with it tomorrow.
I had also ordered a Grande OC in Nickel finish but something happened to it in transit and the package was retuned to Pasteur. They shipped out another one today. I don't think I had posted about that one!
I also have another one enroute and it's supposed to arrive on Thursday.
The Lo Storto closed comb slant in Gold:

full

This one will be Fatip #6 and will complete my goal of trying all the available types of Fatip heads.
So far I've tried the OC, slant OC and closed comb!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The 3K I sold was pinkish and the 2K I oversoaked (before it was boars, it was megabux Naniwa überstones…) was more ochre-hued.

@LRod , other than the easily-glazed Vulcan-blood dye-leaking 1,000 grit, it’s such a primo line of sharpening stones. My favorites were the 400 grit for bevel shaping and 5,000 grit for st00pid-easy polishing.

The il Grosso Gold OC has arrived (and I already had a shave with it, LOL!):)
Shaves just like the classic OC because the head is the same classic OC head.
Changes to tolerances and geometry were mentioned but it's all the same.
I compared it to my Grande OC and they are identical. The gap between the posts and cap
remain the same and loading required blade alignment (same as all my other Fatip's).
The big difference is the handle. It's about 3.5" in length vs. the Grande which is about 3.1".
And the diameter is 13mm which is thicker. It's rounded and perfectly smooth which means
it might be slippery for some. For me it's fine!
But one of the most important changes is the weight!
This razor is definitely heavy because of the solid thick handle.
It's nice for those that want the extra weight so the razor can do the heavy work.
Definitely not a razor that requires any pressure while shaving!
Shave results were excellent, equal to my classic OC.
Is it my #1 Fatip thus far? No!
The Grande is!
I will put this one in the #2 slot. The OC Grande is the perfect size, weight, feel and balance (for me).
But this one will definitely be part of my rotation.
So far this is my preferential order:
#1 OC Grande
#2 OC il Grosso
#3 SB Grande
#4 OC Piccolo slant
My SB Lo Storto slant arrives tomorrow so we'll see how that one performs. I mentioned it before, the OC slant has been good but not great so I don't have massive expectations with the closed comb slant. But hey, you never know! The Classic Fatip OC head is incredible and I would put it as their gold standard razor for sure!
Here are some pictures including a picture of the il Grosso, Grande and Piccolo together (to show the size difference of the handles):

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
@LRod, photos are still not uploading correctly. There is a post from yesterday(#23) with one photo that didn't work. I think you may need to check the code...

Reactions: Kix
@LRod, photos are still not uploading correctly. There is a post from yesterday with one photo that didn't work. I think you may need to check the code..
Hmm, weird!
I just checked on my phone, laptop and wife's laptop and they show up fine. Codes were copied directly from my gallery when uploading to the thread. I don't know!
Let's see if anyone else reports the issue.

I just find it strange that they load up fine here on 3 devices. And this is the first time I go into B&B on my wife's computer.

Sorry! I waited till today to say anything, I am trying everything to get them to load.

Yep, browser is out of date. What a scam, it's not like I haven't updated since last year or something! Let's see what happens in about 6 hours after it fails to update 3 times and then maybe finally goes through. :cursing:

Now it's finally loading, I guess you have to hit refresh 10 times after saying an incantation or something. Mods please delete my last few posts here clogging up this fine thread. :sod:

Last edited:
Sorry! I waited till today to say anything, I am trying everything to get them to load.
I think I found the issue in my settings. Reload your page now and see. They should show up!
My fault!
Let me know if they work please!

Yep, browser is out of date. What a scam, it's not like I haven't updated since last year or something! Let's see what happens in about 6 hours after it fails to update 3 times and then maybe finally goes through. :cursing:
It's not your browser. It was my settings in the gallery.

Top Bottom