What's new

Looking for Suggestions

I am considering everything. I always consider everything. Takes me ages to make decisions... Drives other folks nuts.
The 89 is a good looking razor. The only downside to it is that if I choose that one, I de facto don't choose the others. Hahaha! Maybe I should buy them all, try them all, and sell all but one.
The DES 89K Kelvin by Edwin Jagger is an excellent mild yet efficient (in my definition) razor. It has a short, quite thick handle, with nice knurling. It is made exclusively for a website named after a big river by Edwin Jagger. Prices vary and sometimes they go out of stock, but at the moment they are going for £19.21 on the UK site.

My first razor and I still often use it. Shaves rather like a Super Speed. Here is mine.
IMG_20220510_211712472.jpg

Very manoeverable and a nice weight, and it is fun to use and very forgiving. It looks good too

I am considering everything. I always consider everything. Takes me ages to make decisions... Drives other folks nuts.
The 89 is a good looking razor. The only downside to it is that if I choose that one, I de facto don't choose the others. Hahaha! Maybe I should buy them all, try them all, and sell all but one.
It's called (and you probably already know this), Analysis Paralysis. I own a DE89, it's a fine take on a three-piece design but I wouldn't buy another. Too many better vintage razors out there IMO.

The DES 89K Kelvin by Edwin Jagger is an excellent mild yet efficient (in my definition) razor. It has a short, quite thick handle, with nice knurling. It is made exclusively for a website named after a big river by Edwin Jagger. Prices vary and sometimes they go out of stock, but at the moment they are going for £19.21 on the UK site.

My first razor and I still often use it. Shaves rather like a Super Speed. Here is mine.
View attachment 1520569
Very manoeverable and a nice weight, and it is fun to use and very forgiving. It looks good too
I like the looks of that handle far more than the one on mine (although mine has a a great look):

proxy.php

Without knowing more about your face, I must join the chorus for the Slim or Black Beauty. I favor these two adjustables over the Fatboy, as the ‘Boy commands a higher price

If your Feather is too mild you won’t like the 89; it’s also too mild.

I always recommend Techs and SuperSpeeds, but without knowing more about you I’d have to recommend an adjustable, and the best but also economical choices are the Slim and SuperAdustable

I always recommend Techs and SuperSpeeds, but without knowing more about you I’d have to recommend an adjustable, and the best but also economical choices are the Slim and SuperAdustable
My first razor was the Feather Popular which was a tad too mild for me, but the R89 was noticabely more efficient for my face yet shaved just as smooth. I agree it is still a mild razor but it is a step up from the Feather Popular in my opinion. And with a shim the R89 cuts about as close as anything else I have shaved with and is still very smooth.

I see the Schick Krona mentioned a lot and it was actually my first vintage razor and one of the few I absolutely didn't like. I think maybe I got a bad one, even though everything looks straight on it. It just shaves very harshly and tugs a bit. Nowhere near as smooth as most razors.

To the OP, I understand taking your time and finding what you think works best. But when it comes to the shaving world I tried to do the same thing and found it was near impossible. Everyones opinions varied so much and I think the only way to know what works best for you is to just test it and see. I have found I prefer mild-medium level razors but other then that I am still learning.

After looking a bit more at the Rockwell heads I am almost convinced that they use Yaqi heads and put their names on them (for their cheaper ones) like the one you got. And the Yaqi 89 style head is supposedly much more aggressive then the regular 89 head. It's one reason I have been wanting to test it since I really like 89 style heads and think I may like it. But I bet a regular R89/DE89 will shave smoother for you or at least be less aggressive then the Rockwell you have. But a Gillette Tech is still way up there on the list of razors to get. Especially since they are so cheap. The one I have been using a lot is a fat handle pre-war version. I don't think there is a lot of difference in the post-war ones but it's worth mentioning. I plan to test out the other Tech versions eventually since I really like the design.

And to everyone recommending the Slim/Super Adjustable... I think they are great razors but I don't think they shave as smooth as a Tech or regular old Super Speed. That's just from my very limited experience and face. But they are all worth getting and better then most razors I have tried.

And I will be the one person that does not recommend getting a stainless razor. My reason is you can buy 2-3 cheaper good quality razors like the R89, Gillette Tech, Gilette Super Speed, etc for the price of one cheaper SS razor. And since you are still trying to find out what works best for you it doesn't make sense to buy a expensive SS razor unless you know you already like that design or think it's the only design that will work for you.

A Stainless razor is going to last longer then the Zamak heads but with normal usage a cheaper razor should still last you many years if not decades. I got a Rockwell 6C I really like and it was half the price of the 6S and I don't regret that one bit. If I didn't like that razor it saved me a bit of money. But since the Rockwell 6C is in my top 3-4 favorite razors I could see buying a SS version someday. I really like SS razors, they just don't make sense to me for someone like you trying to save money and test out new things on a budget.

Edited to add - I believe I mentioned this earlier but the Rockwell 6C is a great choice for you as well. It's one of the smoothest razors I have tested and has 6 plates to choose from. I would be surprised if you couldn't find a plate you really liked. But I know the new price is $60 for one which is out of your price range. I believe a used one could be had for $40 or so fairly easy with a wanted post. But I believe the older Rockwell 6C's weren't as good as the ones made the last couple-few years. At least it seems like I remember reading they had a design change.

I eat peanuts with the shell on, like to adventure outdoors, and love books. What recommendation does that get me?

Here is what my Brunette looks like, my R89 is the one with the black colored handle but not the slick handle. They make them textured in Rose Gold as well if you prefer red heads.

proxy.php

(Not my photo)

I eat peanuts with the shell on, like to adventure outdoors, and love books. What recommendation does that get me?
Some people have sensitive skin, or tough beards, or maybe lighter beards and skin that can withstand more abrasion. Knowing your type could better point the direction towards a good razor/blade combo to try first.
Of course, with your demeanor, wet shaving may not be or you; you may be best to just go get an electric.

Some people have sensitive skin, or tough beards, or maybe lighter beards and skin that can withstand more abrasion. Knowing your type could better point the direction towards a good razor/blade combo to try first.
Of course, with your demeanor, wet shaving may not be or you; you may be best to just go get an electric.

I started with electric. Couldn't stay clean-shaven because if the hair wasn't a certain length minimum, the shaver would take my skin instead or nothing at all.
Switched to wet-shaving about ten years ago, and have kept it up.
Started with a Gillette 7o'clock black razor (warped and mutilated) and liquid hand soap. Graduated to a Lord L6 and a variety pack, and then eventually to a RR Mission, with various side tracks to use freebie razors and some double-bladed Bics for travel and "oops I broke my razor" moments.

At this point I'm committed. They signed the papers. Can't say much for sanity, but I'll keep shaving.

I started with electric. Couldn't stay clean-shaven because if the hair wasn't a certain length minimum, the shaver would take my skin instead or nothing at all.
Switched to wet-shaving about ten years ago, and have kept it up.
Started with a Gillette 7o'clock black razor (warped and mutilated) and liquid hand soap. Graduated to a Lord L6 and a variety pack, and then eventually to a RR Mission, with various side tracks to use freebie razors and some double-bladed Bics for travel and "oops I broke my razor" moments.

At this point I'm committed. They signed the papers. Can't say much for sanity, but I'll keep shaving.
My Dad began using an electric while I was quite young. He said that he got his closest shaves when he skipped a day so there was more for the razor to grab & cut.
Sounds like you've used a variety of stuff throughout your wet shaving journey.
Consider a Gillette Tech or even a Schick Krona. They work with nearly any blade, and you can fine tune your shave by choice of blades. You can get blade samples from www.razorbladesclub.com
Shaving soap will have an enormous impact on the quality of a shave. Hand soap won't cut it. Get a bowl and brush - any cheap synthetic brush will work. Any of the Shannonsoaps or Stirling Soaps are a good choice. If you prefer, just get a can of Barbasol to begin with & advance to bowl & brush later.
Fat Handle Prewar.jpg

Krona 2.jpg

8 Brushes.jpg

Attachments

• 20200603_093907.jpg
    20200603_093907.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
My Dad began using an electric while I was quite young. He said that he got his closest shaves when he skipped a day so there was more for the razor to grab & cut.
Sounds like you've used a variety of stuff throughout your wet shaving journey.
Consider a Gillette Tech or even a Schick Krona. They work with nearly any blade, and you can fine tune your shave by choice of blades. You can get blade samples from www.razorbladesclub.com
Shaving soap will have an enormous impact on the quality of a shave. Hand soap won't cut it. Get a bowl and brush - any cheap synthetic brush will work. Any of the Shannonsoaps or Stirling Soaps are a good choice. If you prefer, just get a can of Barbasol to begin with & advance to bowl & brush later.
View attachment 1522148

View attachment 1522146
View attachment 1522149
I completely agree, I think the Gilette Tech is the safest bet for the OP. I personally think the Tech is about the same as the DE89 for me but slightly prefer the 89 series. But the DE89 is $25, whereas the Tech can be had for $10-15 fairly easy on the bay.

If you get a Tech I recommend getting one like pictured above with the fatter handle. The travel ones have tiny handles and the ball end handles are just too small for me as well. I may eventually pick up a gold plated one since I like them so well. I also plan to get a Canadian and English Tech to compare with. But I don't think there is a lot of difference between the Tech models from what I have read.

For brushes I really recommend a Razorock Plissoft. They are $6 on that site I showed earlier but are $10-12 shipped from lots of places. I have tried some cheaper synthetics and that Razorock does a better job then all the other cheapos I have tested and I couldn't imagine ever needing anything better. But every brush I have tested has worked for me, the RazoRock just works better.

Top Bottom