What's new

Looking for Suggestions

Most of us men think we have thick hair and sensitive skin 😃 but dermatologically less than 20% have really sensitive skin.
I thought exactly the same about the aggressive razors some years ago but now IMO, the efficient (aggressive) razors don't cause the irritation/rashes but the technique! You may consider that.

As for the Razor, you won't get a better suggestion than this
I would agree, with the possible exception that if hairs are indeed "uncut", and in the absence of other information, you may want to try a RazoRock Hawk. AC blades are decidedly more rigid.

Out of curiosity, what technically qualifies as reasonably cheap? I’ve been reluctant to step into ‘vintage’ razors due to my lack of knowledge regarding fair prices..
That's an excellent question.

I am assuming you are in the US? I am in England, and even here, where vintage Gillettes are rarer and more expensive than the US (the motherlode of vintages), you can pick up an excellent, near mint cased example of an English Rocket HD for often well under a £100. Uncased examples of this and other models in very good condition can be had for £45-60.
Adjustables were rarer here and command higher prices.

In the US I would say you could pick up a great shave ready vintage for $30-50 all day long.

If you consider the price of many mid-range new types, vintages are very economical to get, and they have a magic about them. They certainly add a whole new layer to the shaving experience. I am biased though, I am a lover of vintages, and their history. They are also great performers IMO.

They have presence and style. Get one!

I am assuming you are in the US? I am in England, and even here, where vintage Gillettes are rarer and more expensive than the US (the motherlode of vintages), you can pick up an excellent, near mint cased example of an English Rocket HD for often well under a £100. Uncased examples of this and other models in very good condition can be had for £45-60.

In the US I would say you could pick up a great shave ready vintage for $30-50 all day long.

If you consider the price of many mid-range new types, vintages are very economical to get, and they have a magic about them. They certainly add a whole new layer to the shaving experience. I am biased though, I am a lover of vintages, and their history. They are also great performers IMO.

Thank you! 🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻

Razorock Lupo 95 SB
While this particular razor is a bit out of my range (hoping for something under $30), I have been eyeing the original Lupo... Still have my eye on it.

Gillette Slim. Adjustable, so you can determine which setting best suits the different parts of your face.

Also, they are great razors.
Many, many recommendations for the slim! A preliminary search turned up prices anywhere from $35 to $180. I'll have to keep an eye out and see if any deals turn up.

What blades are you currently using? That can obviously be a big factor in razor choice. I'm learning the hard way that some blades just don't run so great in some razors.
My favorite is the Gillette SB, though the Astra SP is my daily driver. Good blade, one of the least expensive I've priced, and I just bought a 100 pack. I'm doing my best to be budget-minded on shaving supplies... Though I want to buy it all.

The German 37 was a good suggestion but it is a slant and may not be the best choice for a newer wet shaver (don't flame me, @thombrogan eek!)

Let me just say that I currently own over 100 razors and have owned many more than that over the years so while my opinion may be just that - an opinion, I do have a ton of experience with different types of razors.

The Gillette Tech is pretty much the Gold Standard for razors. It's mild and efficient and plays well with pretty much all blades in existence. Most men agree that it works with their beard type and you will hardly find a nay sayer on this forum when it comes to the Tech. Now, my suggestion is not actually for a Gillette Tech, but for one of the MANY MANY clones that exist. I am choosing to recommend this one because of all the Tech clones I've tried, this one provides the cleanest, most comfortable shave of them all and for a very reasonable price, it's basically heirloom quality and if you decide it's not for you or that I'm just some quack, you will easily be able to recoup your investment.

My recommendation is the RazoRock Game Changer .68 in straight bar.

You can buy just the head for under $50 and pair it with any handle. It will be a gem in your collection and may even get you started collecting stainless steel and other types of modern, high end razors. You can't go wrong with this razor.

Best of luck, whatever you choose.
RR makes some fantastic stuff, especially at the price-point. The Gamechanger looks like a great razor. It's a bit high for my budget, but Black Friday is coming, and I'm sure there will be sales.
Have you tried their Teck II? Probably not as good as the GC, but it's also a tech clone.

Most of us men think we have thick hair and sensitive skin 😃 but dermatologically less than 20% have really sensitive skin.
I thought exactly the same about the aggressive razors some years ago but now IMO, the efficient (aggressive) razors don't cause the irritation/rashes but the technique! You may consider that.

As for the Razor, you won't get a better suggestion than this
This is so. My first razor was a warped, bent piece of cheap plastic that I used until I could get BBS shaves on the regular. Practice makes perfect, and skill is key. I don't NEED another razor... I don't even NEED a better shave. I just WANT it. Sigh... First world shaving problems...

While this particular razor is a bit out of my range (hoping for something under $30), I have been eyeing the original Lupo... Still have my eye on it.

The aluminum Lupo is a great razor, excellent value. I didn't realize you were in the $30 range or would have suggested it.

I’d buy the winning razor for sale on the BST. It’s not my listing but I think it may work well for you.
That razor is a bit out of my desired range, but man... I like what I see there! This razor truly is a winner! I wonder why they stopped making it.

I don't know anything about it... But I want it. The kit as a whole is very, very aesthetically appealing to me, likely due to the nostalgia of seeing cases like that growing up. Beautiful.

Youre engaging my bias. Lol. I already wanted it, and now you're suggesting it.

If you do get one just remember it is lightweight....you will be tempted but do not apply pressure. Try at least 2 or 3 different blades with it and find the one that suits you best.

Here's a shave I did with mine back in July where everything went right and it rivaled the shave I get with some of my much more expensive razors.

Many, many recommendations for the slim! A preliminary search turned up prices anywhere from $35 to $180. I'll have to keep an eye out and see if any deals turn up.

My favorite is the Gillette SB, though the Astra SP is my daily driver. Good blade, one of the least expensive I've priced, and I just bought a 100 pack. I'm doing my best to be budget-minded on shaving supplies... Though I want to buy it all.

RR makes some fantastic stuff, especially at the price-point. The Gamechanger looks like a great razor. It's a bit high for my budget, but Black Friday is coming, and I'm sure there will be sales.
Have you tried their Teck II? Probably not as good as the GC, but it's also a tech clone.

This is so. My first razor was a warped, bent piece of cheap plastic that I used until I could get BBS shaves on the regular. Practice makes perfect, and skill is key. I don't NEED another razor... I don't even NEED a better shave. I just WANT it. Sigh... First world shaving problems...

I am very surprised nobody has mentioned the R89 or DE89 yet. I just got into wet shaving about 5-6 months ago and have already tried well over a dozen of the most recommended razors and most of the recommended blades. Out of all of these razors I have found the R89/DE89 to be my favorite design. Do not buy a clone, I have some of them and most don't shave quite the same. Either the Muhle R89 or the Edwin Jagger DE89 are the same and both will serve you well.

The Feather Popular was my first razor as well and a tad too mild even though it was a very smooth shaver. The 89 series shaves just as smooth for me but a tad closer. Sometimes if I use the 89 I put a shim on the bottom for an even closer shave which is an option if you buy one and want something a tad closer. Right now I seen them on sale at a place called Groomatorium for around $23 new in multiple handle colors/options which is a steal and the shipping was only like $4. If I was you I'd pick up a synthetic RazoRock brush as well for like $6 as the Razorock has been my favorite brush so far but I admit I haven't tried a lot of them.

Here is the link to the 89 razors -DE89 Razors Link

Other then the DE89/R89 I recommend a Gillette Tech which can be had on Ebay for about $10-15 in user grade condition. I recommend the fat handle tech since the ball end ones and travel ones are harder to hold onto. But the Tech is a great shaving razor and very close to the DE89. Another great option is the Rockwell 6C but the new prices on them is $60 and even though it is a great shaver on plate 4 the head is a bit fatter and not as nimble as the 89 series or Tech.

I have tried the Merkur 34C and 23C and don't see what others see in them, they are nowhere near as smooth as the 89 series for me and I've seen others say the same but we are all different. I have a Henson Medium which many people love but I find it lacking - it clogs quickly and doesn't cut as well for me taking multiple swipes. I have tried almost all of the vintage Gillette at this point and really like the Super Speeds including the Red Tip and newer black handled Super Speed from the 70's-80s but still prefer the 89 series. I have used the Adjustables like the Black Beauty 109 and Slim and while they seem to be good shavers I don't think they are quite as smooth for me as the Super Speeds/Tech.

I also have irritation and ingrown hairs from cartridge razors and some of the safety razors I have tried. My neck is the most sensitive area and I highly recommend the 89 series for about $25-30, or a used Tech for about $10-15. The prices are hard to beat, and they are great razors.

Also to add to this, I recently got a Mamba 53-70 and with the 70 plate it still seems a tad too mild but is smooth shaving. I have a Lupo with 72 and 95 heads coming in the mail I look forward to trying and will likely pick up the 53 head for it as well in the future which is the same as the Alunimum mentioned above but I'd still be surprised if it works better then the 89 series for me, or the Tech, or Super Speeds.

For blades I highly recommend the Astra SP (green), or Wilkinson Swords made in Germany. I recently started using the Swords and find them the smoothest of any blade but maybe not quite as sharp as the Astras. Some say they don't think the Astras are sharp but for me they feel sharper then most blades I have tried. If you get the Swords make sure to get the classic German ones. They are about $20 for 100 and so far they seem to last longer as well.

For sharper blades I prefer the Nacet over the rest. The Permasharps had a bit more drag for me. And the Feathers are very close to the Nacet but cost 3 times as much.

Another very smooth shaving blade for many people is the Gillette Silver Blue. I don't find them quite as good as the Astra SP or Swords but they are great blades. And I'd be happy using either the Astra/Swords/GSB's. In some razors the Nacet/Feathers are good too but I wouldn't want them to be my daily blade. I still have a few to try out, but many just weren't sharp enough for me like the Personnas, or some 7 O Clocks, or Platinums etc.

If you get a DE89 razor for $23 at the place I mentioned here is the RazoRock brush on sale for $6 you should get as well unless you already have one - Link to Brush

They also offer 2 different Baili Tech clones, one is $7 Link Here , and the other for $9 Link Here

The $9 Tech clone above looks identical to the RazoRock Trek II and I imagine it is the same. I actually have one of those but have never got around to testing it yet and don't care for the handle too well. I'd likely get the $7 one above if I was to pick one just to see if you like it. I have no idea how close the shave is to the original Tech Razors so you may be better off picking up a used Fat Handle Gillette Tech for $10-15 on Ebay in good used shape. But if you are already placing an order to that place for the DE89 for $23, then it wouldn't be that much extra to toss in a brush for $6 and another razor for $7. The total would be about $40 shipped for 2 razors, and brush.

They also have those Wilkinson Sword German blades in stock but the price is high for a 5 pack at $2.25 Link Here

I find a good place to buy 5 packs of blades from to be Razor Blades Club Link Here . If you buy 100 blades you get free shipping from them and you know they are legit blades. You can often find slightly better prices on Amazon but if you want to try multiple packs of 5 blades this is the best place I have found since they don't overcharge you too much for a single 5 pack. They may take a few days extra to get there but most of my orders don't take longer then about a week.

To add yet one more reply - I see DESteve mentioned the Gillette Heritage on Amazon for $35. From what I read it is a Muhle R89 head on their handle and is $35. I imagine I would like that handle even better from the pictures and it does indeed look like an authentic R89 head since from the photos I can see the same casting numbers in the head etc. Gillette also offers a King C razor which I have and find too mild. It uses a different head then the 89 series.

The only worry I have is you may still find the 89 series too mild. I have a few 89 series razors and my uncles older 89 has a little more blade gap and narrower top cap and shaves even closer but just as smooth. I get a very similar shave if I put a shim under my blade in my R89. But even without the shim it shaves much closer then the Feather Popular did for me.

Out of all the RR offerings I imagine the 68 Game Changer would be the best option. The Mambas seem too mild overall. The Lupos have more blade feel from what I've read but I look forward to testing them out. The quality of the RR razors seems to be top notch for the price. At $30 the aluminum Lupo may be a good fit, I just can't say since I have never tested the Lupo out yet. But I will let you know what I think of the Lupo 72 and 95 next week if you are interested.

If you are interested in an adjustable in the future I think the 6C is a great razor even with it's fatter head. But if you want a cheaper adjustable I imagine the best option is the Gillette Black Beauty 109 or the Slim. Both can be found in good user grade condition for $20-30 on Ebay almost daily. You can often find scummy ones for even cheaper, or mint ones for much more but the $20-30 price seems pretty doable for most user grade ones. Just look at the head and try to see if there is any bends in the safety bar area and make sure the gaps in the head look even all the way across from the photos. I prefer the Black Beauty handle to the slim. If you want a Fat Boy they cost a good bit more and are in the $40-50 range on the low end. I will say one last time, I don't think the adjustables shave as smooth as the Super Speeds.

For super speeds a regular flair tip in good shape can be had for about $15. A red tip for around $25-30. If you get a super speed don't be afraid to get the later black handle one from the 70s-80s either as it shaves great too. I actually read it may have a tad wider blade gap then the earlier ones. The only negative I find with the super speeds is the smaller handles. The Red Tip is much easier to hold onto since it's a little fatter. I would buy a regular super speed and red tip super speed before a lot of the newer razors mentioned.

To add yet one more reply - I see DESteve mentioned the Gillette Heritage on Amazon for $35. From what I read it is a Muhle R89 head on their handle and is $35. I imagine I would like that handle even better from the pictures and it does indeed look like an authentic R89 head since from the photos I can see the same casting numbers in the head etc. Gillette also offers a King C razor which I have and find too mild. It uses a different head then the 89 series.

The only worry I have is you may still find the 89 series too mild. I have a few 89 series razors and my uncles older 89 has a little more blade gap and narrower top cap and shaves even closer but just as smooth. I get a very similar shave if I put a shim under my blade in my R89. But even without the shim it shaves much closer then the Feather Popular did for me.

Out of all the RR offerings I imagine the 68 Game Changer would be the best option. The Mambas seem too mild overall. The Lupos have more blade feel from what I've read but I look forward to testing them out. The quality of the RR razors seems to be top notch for the price. At $30 the aluminum Lupo may be a good fit, I just can't say since I have never tested the Lupo out yet. But I will let you know what I think of the Lupo 72 and 95 next week if you are interested.

If you are interested in an adjustable in the future I think the 6C is a great razor even with it's fatter head. But if you want a cheaper adjustable I imagine the best option is the Gillette Black Beauty 109 or the Slim. Both can be found in good user grade condition for $20-30 on Ebay almost daily. You can often find scummy ones for even cheaper, or mint ones for much more but the $20-30 price seems pretty doable for most user grade ones. Just look at the head and try to see if there is any bends in the safety bar area and make sure the gaps in the head look even all the way across from the photos. I prefer the Black Beauty handle to the slim. If you want a Fat Boy they cost a good bit more and are in the $40-50 range on the low end. I will say one last time, I don't think the adjustables shave as smooth as the Super Speeds.

For super speeds a regular flair tip in good shape can be had for about $15. A red tip for around $25-30. If you get a super speed don't be afraid to get the later black handle one from the 70s-80s either as it shaves great too. I actually read it may have a tad wider blade gap then the earlier ones. The only negative I find with the super speeds is the smaller handles. The Red Tip is much easier to hold onto since it's a little fatter. I would buy a regular super speed and red tip super speed before a lot of the newer razors mentioned.

0.o
Mega download of information! There's so much here...

The mission I have is supposedly a near clone of the 89, though no clone is identical. There are some very good sales on the 89s right now - I followed your link.

I'd be very interested in your Lupo opinions, whenever you get a chance to evaluate.

Thank you for the info on that Heritage!

The Superspeeds are TTOs, correct?

So many accessories... RAD is real. Also SAD (soap), both versions of BAD (blade and brush), as well as ASAD (aftershave).

Parker A1R is an excelent razor which is in your budget. The blade alignement is OK. Many user bought for their travels but started to use as a daily driver.
Agression is 1,5 notch higher than Feather TTO which is what you are looking for.
I use sometimes with my EJ89 handle. You can swap with any M5 compatible handle 8Most of DE in market are M5 compatible).

Parker A1R 4 Piece Travel DE Safety Razor Set with Leather Case - https://maggardrazors.com/collections/safety-razors/products/parker-a1r-4-piece-travel-de-safety-razor-set-with-leather-case

1662758316062.png
1662758341173.png

0.o
Mega download of information! There's so much here...

The mission I have is supposedly a near clone of the 89, though no clone is identical. There are some very good sales on the 89s right now - I followed your link.

I'd be very interested in your Lupo opinions, whenever you get a chance to evaluate.

Thank you for the info on that Heritage!

The Superspeeds are TTOs, correct?

So many accessories... RAD is real. Also SAD (soap), both versions of BAD (blade and brush), as well as ASAD (aftershave).

I forgot the Mission was the RR 89 style head which is also on my wish list. But I believe they use Yaqi or Maggards heads which are a bit more aggressive then standard 89 heads. This is based off their other head options that look identical to the Maggards/Yaqi ones and the fact they offer other razors with their name on them like the Trek II that looks identical to the Baili I showed above. So I bet you would like a real R89 or DE89 far better then that one since it's likely more mild. Worst case for $26 shipped you should be able to recoup most if not all your funds if you decided to get one. I plan to buy 1-2 of the rubber coated handle ones since I love the 89 style and think those handles would feel great.

I also picked up another 89 style head from another company I can't remember at the moment but it was complete trash and shaved horribly. I imagine the RR Mission is a good shaver just a tad more aggressive then the DE89 but I could be wrong.

Now that that's out of the way, if you don't want to consider a 89 then I think you should get a Gillette Tech. They are so smooth but also efficient shavers. I have been using a fat handled tech quite a bit lately. It is a 3 piece design with a really thin and nimble head. They are $10-15 used on ebay.

And yes the Super Speeds are TTO. I actually prefer TTO style razors but most of my favorite razors are sadly 3 piece. The regular flair tip Super Speeds have smaller handles and are smooth shavers for around $15. But the Red Tip feels much nicer with it's fatter handle and is a more aggressive razor. I have tried (2) red tips so far and the first one I used was more aggressive for some reason and provided the smoothest shave I've had but was almost too aggressive for me and the second one shaved much smoother and was still extremely close shaving. These can be had for around $25-30 on ebay. Even though they are a tad more aggressive these razors aren't nowhere near as aggressive as some modern ones like the R41 which I can't stand.

I also forgot to mention, I believe the RR Mission like the Yaqi/Maggards clones need help with blade alignment when loading the blade. I don't have this issue with the real R89/DE89 razors. But aligning the blade isn't that hard on the razors that need it, it's just something to remember.

I forgot the Mission was the RR 89 style head which is also on my wish list. But I believe they use Yaqi or Maggards heads which are a bit more aggressive then standard 89 heads. This is based off their other head options that look identical to the Maggards/Yaqi ones and the fact they offer other razors with their name on them like the Trek II that looks identical to the Baili I showed above. So I bet you would like a real R89 or DE89 far better then that one since it's likely more mild. Worst case for $26 shipped you should be able to recoup most if not all your funds if you decided to get one. I plan to buy 1-2 of the rubber coated handle ones since I love the 89 style and think those handles would feel great.

I also picked up another 89 style head from another company I can't remember at the moment but it was complete trash and shaved horribly. I imagine the RR Mission is a good shaver just a tad more aggressive then the DE89 but I could be wrong.

Now that that's out of the way, if you don't want to consider a 89 then I think you should get a Gillette Tech. They are so smooth but also efficient shavers. I have been using a fat handled tech quite a bit lately. It is a 3 piece design with a really thin and nimble head. They are $10-15 used on ebay.

And yes the Super Speeds are TTO. I actually prefer TTO style razors but most of my favorite razors are sadly 3 piece. The regular flair tip Super Speeds have smaller handles and are smooth shavers for around $15. But the Red Tip feels much nicer with it's fatter handle and is a more aggressive razor. I have tried (2) red tips so far and the first one I used was more aggressive for some reason and provided the smoothest shave I've had but was almost too aggressive for me and the second one shaved much smoother and was still extremely close shaving. These can be had for around $25-30 on ebay. Even though they are a tad more aggressive these razors aren't nowhere near as aggressive as some modern ones like the R41 which I can't stand.
I am considering everything. I always consider everything. Takes me ages to make decisions... Drives other folks nuts.
The 89 is a good looking razor. The only downside to it is that if I choose that one, I de facto don't choose the others. Hahaha! Maybe I should buy them all, try them all, and sell all but one.

I think in our current market, maybe adding $10-20 to that price range will bring a lot more options from sellers who know what they're doing even if the buyer doesn't. I recently paid $60 shipped for my 1963 First Quarter Slim after a light negotiation. Being an adjustable, there are potentially more issues than with a TTO or 3-piece. The seller (who I've recommended here) understated the condition of the razor. It was in truly excellent condition and looks/works great. Cases and minty condition are fine for the collector crowd but for the user crowd, those are extraneous costs IMO.

I prefer vintage Gillette razors over modern but I can see many here on B&B now prefer modern.

Last edited:
Top Bottom