What's new

Looking for Suggestions

WANTED: Suggestions for an inexpensive razor that is neither too agressive or too mild.

I happen to have thick, haifficult-to-cut hair. A single pass will leave some hairs entirely uncut. I also have sensitive skin, especially in the neck area. Too harsh of a razor will leave bumps, rashes, and weepers galore.

Currently I own a Feather TTO (which is too mild unless I partially untwist the top, but that's not a reliable method), a RR Mission (which is fine for my face area, but is murder on my neck and jawline), and a RR SLOC (which is efficient, but mild enough that I can't quite bring all the hairs down to skin level).

This is a chance to evangelize your favorites. Lol. What's out there that might be good? I'd rather not buy them all looking for the right one.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I happen to have thick, difficult-to-cut hair. A single pass will leave some hairs entirely uncut. I also have sensitive skin, especially in the neck area. Too harsh of a razor will leave bumps, rashes, and weepers galore.

Above the Tie S1(SB) or S2(OC). I find the S2 a lovely smooth gentle shave.

You may wish to explore an adjustable razor that would let you open up the gap where you can handle a bit more, and close it down where you need to go carefully.

O.H.

WANTED: Suggestions for an inexpensive razor that is neither too agressive or too mild.

I happen to have thick, haifficult-to-cut hair. A single pass will leave some hairs entirely uncut. I also have sensitive skin, especially in the neck area. Too harsh of a razor will leave bumps, rashes, and weepers galore.

Currently I own a Feather TTO (which is too mild unless I partially untwist the top, but that's not a reliable method), a RR Mission (which is fine for my face area, but is murder on my neck and jawline), and a RR SLOC (which is efficient, but mild enough that I can't quite bring all the hairs down to skin level).

This is a chance to evangelize your favorites. Lol. What's out there that might be good? I'd rather not buy them all looking for the right one.
What blades are you currently using? That can obviously be a big factor in razor choice. I'm learning the hard way that some blades just don't run so great in some razors.

Any of the vintage Gillette adjustable razors are excellent and will allow you to customize the razor to your face. (The Gillette Fat Boy is a bit pricey, but the Gillette Slim and the Gillette Super Adjustable are more economical.)

Also, the Gillette Good Will, the Gillette NEW (both from the 1930's), and a late 1940's Gillette Super Speed may fit your requirements.

The German 37 was a good suggestion but it is a slant and may not be the best choice for a newer wet shaver (don't flame me, @thombrogan eek!)

Let me just say that I currently own over 100 razors and have owned many more than that over the years so while my opinion may be just that - an opinion, I do have a ton of experience with different types of razors.

The Gillette Tech is pretty much the Gold Standard for razors. It's mild and efficient and plays well with pretty much all blades in existence. Most men agree that it works with their beard type and you will hardly find a nay sayer on this forum when it comes to the Tech. Now, my suggestion is not actually for a Gillette Tech, but for one of the MANY MANY clones that exist. I am choosing to recommend this one because of all the Tech clones I've tried, this one provides the cleanest, most comfortable shave of them all and for a very reasonable price, it's basically heirloom quality and if you decide it's not for you or that I'm just some quack, you will easily be able to recoup your investment.

My recommendation is the RazoRock Game Changer .68 in straight bar.

You can buy just the head for under $50 and pair it with any handle. It will be a gem in your collection and may even get you started collecting stainless steel and other types of modern, high end razors. You can't go wrong with this razor.

Best of luck, whatever you choose.

I'll add one to the "Get an adjustable!" chorus.

If you want to change the razor's gap, depending on how long your beard is, you can do it. If you're in a rush, and want to have a milder razor, you can do it. If you want to open up the gap, and get rid of every last hair (at the risk of nicks and irritation), you can do it.

A vintage adjustable, Merkur Progress, whatever . . . there are lots of "best adjustable razor" threads, for different price ranges.

Have fun --

. Charles

Most of us men think we have thick hair and sensitive skin 😃 but dermatologically less than 20% have really sensitive skin.
I thought exactly the same about the aggressive razors some years ago but now IMO, the efficient (aggressive) razors don't cause the irritation/rashes but the technique! You may consider that.

As for the Razor, you won't get a better suggestion than this
Gillette Slim. Adjustable, so you can determine which setting best suits the different parts of your face.

Also, they are great razors.

The Slim is an awesome choice, since it allows you to dial in your most comfortable level of razor aggressiveness. I recently saw several on Etsy for reasonably cheap.
Slim & Super Adj.jpg

The Super Adjustable is also a solid choice, but may be too sexy-looking for you if you're married ;>)

My shave today was with a Gillette Special #175 + a Gillette Silver Blue Blade. Something to consider only for once you've developed your shaving skill
20220828_180149.jpg

The Slim is an awesome choice, since it allows you to dial in your most comfortable level of razor aggressiveness. I recently saw several on Etsy for reasonably cheap.
Out of curiosity, what technically qualifies as reasonably cheap? I’ve been reluctant to step into ‘vintage’ razors due to my lack of knowledge regarding fair prices..

Top Bottom