What's new

Looking for good sandalwood soap

After many years of wet shaving, the following sandalwood shaving soaps are currently in my rotation:
- Haslinger
- D.R. Harris
- Mühle
- Taylor of Old Bond St. (cream in tub)

None of these soaps has a particularly strong scent.

I don’t care much for Proraso and never much associated the scent of Proraso in the red tub with sandalwood. It just doesn’t match my expectation of sandalwood scent the way the old AOS sandalwood soap did.

B.

I'm getting the Proraso Aftershave in sandalwood. Just looking for the soap. I may just try the soap as well.
I was the other way around.
I liked the Proraso Red soap for performance, scent, and price, so I got the aftershave believing that it would at least be approximately similar. (I hate buying aftershave before I sniff it.)
So far, it's my favourite aftershave, and the soap is in my top 5.

I still have to try the TOBS Sandalwood cream though.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Fine Santal Absolut yet! Performance of Tabac, but the scent of AoS Sandalwood. Yes please!
2018-09-24 07.44.19.jpg

Well, so far, I have the 1932 GEM SE MMOC , 1962 Gillette DE Slim Adjustable (GREAT Razor), a 1966 Gillette DE SS (haven't used yet) and the MicroShave DE (promoted by Rick Harrison "Pawn Stars"). I have Dorco and Van Der Hagen blades for the DE's and soon to have blades for my GEM from a gent from this forum (@12Fret). I only have Cremo Sandalwood cream and a Van der Hagen puck soap. Can't wait to get others I have on my shopping list. Getting angles down and figuring out the different hair growth (especially on my neck area). Enjoying going "old school" and reminiscing the times I watched my Father and my Pepaw in the process. I've always liked "old fashioned way" of doing things. How people used to be. I like fine cigars, have a pipe collection and enjoy wearing different hats. Mostly, I think I was born in the wrong generation completely and I'll BET a lot of you feel the same!! BTW, I have a boar brush, an OPAL pure badger and a really nice Silvertip that I just received. I'll send a pic of my setup asap. I think you folks will like it. Great stand that I would certainly recommend!! lol

Last edited:
NOW, we want to know ALL your shaving purchases and what you think of them. :yesnod: :laugh:
Well, so far, I have the 1932 GEM SE MMOC , 1962 Gillette DE Slim Adjustable (GREAT Razor), a 1966 Gillette DE SS (haven't used yet) and the MicroShave DE (promoted by Rick Harrison "Pawn Stars"). I have Dorco and Van Der Hagen blades for the DE's and soon to have blades for my GEM from a gent from this forum (@12Fret). I only have Cremo Sandalwood cream and a Van der Hagen puck soap. Can't wait to get others I have on my shopping list. Getting angles down and figuring out the different hair growth (especially on my neck area). Enjoying going "old school" and reminiscing the times I watched my Father and my Pepaw in the process. I've always liked "old fashioned way" of doing things. How people used to be. I like fine cigars, have a pipe collection and enjoy wearing different hats. Mostly, I think I was born in the wrong generation completely and I'll BET a lot of you feel the same!! BTW, I have a boar brush, an OPAL pure badger and a really nice Silvertip that I just received. I'll send a pic of my setup asap. I think you folks will like it. Great stand that I would certainly recommend!! lol

See post #32. That's just the new stand I got with my silvertip and razor with a vintage Avon Rhino Decanter. (Soaps and aftershaves not included in the post LOL!!)
Yep, I was referring to that too. :thumbsup:
I'm one of those strange people who (most of the time) read/view the whole thread before replying. :letterk1: :laugh:

Yep, I was referring to that too. :thumbsup:
I'm one of those strange people who (most of the time) read/view the whole thread before replying. :letterk1: :laugh:
I wasn't sure if it posted properly, actually! LOL Glad it came through. Love the pipe stand I just got! HAHAHA

Captain's Choice, Stirling Sandalwood, and Proraso Red are three good choices.
Try the Captain. It makes a good, sturdy, and smooth shaving lather.

Top Bottom