What's new

Lee Child/Jack Reacher

I've now read all the Harry Bosch books (read 'em in order). I've not yet read the short stories.

I've begun reading Lincoln Lawyer, but can't say I'm enjoying it all that much. Not as good as the books about Mickey's half brother in my opinion. I saw the movie a couple of times and liked it okay, but the book is just okay whereas I found something special in Bosch.

In other words, I'm looking for something else to read. Any ideas?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Check out Robert Craig’s Elvis Cole/Joe Pike novels if you haven’t already.

Joe Pike is the MAN

I've read all Connelly's books awesome, most of Grisham's and love Robert Crais. The Dangerous Man is next on my list.

I used to read a lot of Tom Clancy. Even ghost written, I liked the stories. As long as they weren't too technical. Without Remorse is my favorite from him.

Nelson DeMille just put out a new book called the Deserter. I loved it.

I had given up on Lee Child after reading 3 books in a row from him and then when Tom Cruise was cast as the actor. However, I finally watched the movies, and liked them. Picked up Midnight Line which my buddy had given me. It's good. I find myself enjoying the book.

He's like an author your read every 2 years. Because the stories are similar

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Lots of good suggestions. Some I've already read, but some I'd not heard of before.

Thanks for all the suggestions given so far.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I ended up reading and getting into the Lincoln Lawyer series. Once I adjusted to it being fundamentally difference from the Bosch books I found myself liking the series and wished there were more.

I'm now reading the Ballard series. The first was simply not as good as the HB and LL books. Writing not as good. Character not as good. Kinda confusing and a bit uninteresting compared to HB and LL. Still, Ballard is not a terrible character and the first book in the series wasn't horrible so I'm now reading the second in the series (the book which also has Bosch as a main character I think).

Problem is what to read after I've read everything written by Michael Connelly. As I mentioned in a previous post I've read most (not all) of the books recommended. Some I liked. Some, not so much.

Many books in the genres I like are published. Few are good. Very few are as good as Bosch. Worse, none I know of which I've not read.

If you haven't read Ken Follett his books are great. All the stand alone novels (well almost all) are excellent. Eye of the Needle is a great starting point and a wonderfully atypical adventure and spy book with two excellent characters. His other WW2 and WW1 era novels are good or better than good. Most I've read twice and enjoyed more the second go round.

Many people say his Pillars of the Earth is the best book they've ever read. I enjoyed it, but liked the sequel, World Without End, even more. The man can write a story.

Anyway, I'm running out of reliably good reading material so all suggestions are welcomed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm considering as a result of this thread and don't think I've read...
  • C.J. Box's Joe Pickett
  • Robert Crais's Elvis Cole and Joe Pike
  • Jo Nesbo's Harry Hoe (maybe not the early books)
  • Nick Petrie's Peter Ash
  • The Preston and Child writing team, or their solo books, but I don't enjoy horror so I'll examine the reviews and descriptions before ordering any particular novel
  • Don Winslow's The Winter of Frankie's Machine (starting point to his books?)
Comments on any of these (I've read this thread in its entirety) appreciated.

Most of the other books mentioned I've already read.

Someone mentioned classics...Any suggestions beyond GWTW?

Mostly I enjoy detective fiction and police procedurals and such as that, but I'm open to suggestions in other genres.

Since I read every night and have read for decades I've gone through a million books (or it seems like it). Mostly not literature. Mostly not serious fiction. Mostly not classics (as defined by serious fiction readers). My tastes are lowbrow I suppose but I hate really bad writing and the sort of unedited garbage most books on Amazon seem to be these days. As you know, many good writers end up writing crap when they quit caring about their craft and readers (Stuart Woods, I'm talking to you).

Early Stuart Woods is great stuff.

Maybe I should plow though this thread, too?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom