What's new

League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers

Just wanted to stop by the LEMS Clubhouse :)biggrin1:) to chat....

I have been growing a beard, but shaving my neck for the past 5 days. I got the most BBS on my neck tonight from my 83' Super Speed. Sometimes, like others before, I will ask myself, "Is this thing cutting anything?" because it is So mild, ...BUT, something about these mild shavers......I tend to put the head of the razor on my skin (when doing ATG) and just trust the angle, rather than really watch what I am doing.....And, it ends up being So Smooth, With So Little Irritation.

Okay, gotta' get home before SWMBO notices I was gone to long....

:thumbup:

I have used a Hoffritz Slant for 13 years. I ran across this NOS Tech last Saturday at an antique store. I have used it three times now, loaded with a Feather, and am very impressed with how comfortable it is.

$IMG_0831.jpg

And it's pretty.

My "milds" are a late '40's fat-handle Tech and a Ball End Tech (G1). I guess my Fatboy and Slim set on 1-3 would also qualify. Heck, I guess the Super Speeds are all relatively mild too. All are great, mild shavers. Hmmmm... maybe "mild" is in the hand of the razorholder?

Dear gentlemen of this honorable league...
What vintage razors have shallow blade angles? Is there anything similar to the cutting action of the Feather stainless razor? No scraping angles please.

The Wilkinson Sword sticky must be as mild as it gets. I generally prefer a rather aggressive razor but the Sticky does give a decent shave. The original Weber that was around for a few weeks several years ago is also quite mild but effective. The prize would go to the Schick Krona though - a very under rated razor IMO - my go to if I'm in a hurry but need a good clean shave.

$Krona1.jpg$Sticky.jpg

The Wilkinson Sword sticky must be as mild as it gets. I generally prefer a rather aggressive razor but the Sticky does give a decent shave. The original Weber that was around for a few weeks several years ago is also quite mild but effective. The prize would go to the Schick Krona though - a very under rated razor IMO - my go to if I'm in a hurry but need a good clean shave.

View attachment 311008View attachment 311009

I'm on the hunt for one of those OC Webers. I can't seem to locate one though. Everyone bashed them in the original thread, but they must love them because no one wants to part with one!

I like to mix in a 1950s Gillette Blue Tip into my lineup every now and then. Great mild razor. Sometimes it borderlines on too mild, but paired with the right blade its very nice.

I'm not sure where my '48-'50 Aristocrat or Merkur 23C fall into the mix, but my '47 Super-Speed is very mild and an incredible shaver. :)

Here's my little collection, my favorite being the 52 Black Tip, 54 Ball End Tech, Ahhhhh who am I kidding I love them all. I also have a Red Tip And a Slim Adjustable on the way!

Attachments

• $20130219_211947.jpg
    $20130219_211947.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 655
I'm on the hunt for one of those OC Webers. I can't seem to locate one though. Everyone bashed them in the original thread, but they must love them because no one wants to part with one!

They were up on ebay for about a month and sold for about $30. I snagged one to try. The finish was not up to the current standard but it cleaned up easily with a diamond lap. It's basically a Gillette old design. Works well. I have this on an Ikon handle. I didn't bash it - I always thought it was a decent razor. Probably a lot rarer than a double ring as it happens!

They were up on ebay for about a month and sold for about $30. I snagged one to try. The finish was not up to the current standard but it cleaned up easily with a diamond lap. It's basically a Gillette old design. Works well. I have this on an Ikon handle. I didn't bash it - I always thought it was a decent razor. Probably a lot rarer than a double ring as it happens!

I know! I've been looking for one for over a year. If I could find one, I would pick up the polished and have them all.

I think I am about to join the LEMS but first I feel like my Muhle R89 is not mild enough for my ATG passes. Does a shallower angle between blade and skin offer a milder shave? In that case my R89 can't offer the angle that I feel to be mild enough for best comfort.
I insist on getting the best comfort possible, as I like my skin to look healthy and without any burn from scrapping.
Any idea what razors offer the shallowest angles?

I would just say stop shaving ATG. I don't. The only razors milder than what you have are the Tech, and the Feather ASD1.

Last edited:
I would just say stop shaving ATG. I don't. The only razors milder than what you have are the Tech, and the Feather ASD1.

If you give me a way to get BBS without going ATG, then I will stop it :D
Otherwise, I am sorry but I won't give up.
What I did notice, is that I managed today to get a great comfortable ATG pass, BBS except a spot under my chin which I forgot to take when doing touchups. What I did also notice is that the angle which allows me to get a comfortable ATG pass is extremely hard to keep, and there is a spot under my chin where doesn't work, and I might need an even shallower angle. If I do just a bit more shallow the angle, it won't cut close. So I got to the conclusion that I need a razor that allows a bit of a more shallow angle to attack harder to get spots.
I am now almost certain that I found why I can't get that really comfortable ATG pass, and now I only need to find a razor that allows the angle.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I'm not sure where my [...] Merkur 23C fall into the mix, [...].
Fred:
proxy.php
...and I wondered that also because I have the 23C & 38C (which I think is a 'tad' more agressive beacuse of it's weight [4oz]). :yesnod:

proxy.php
"Merkur; Solingen quality,Time-tested Tradition with Modern Design".

attachment.php

Attached Image: 23C (L), my 'go-to' blade & 38C (R).

proxy.php
“Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape”. Anonymous

Last edited:
Here is my contribution. Through many trials( notice I didn't say errors. None of the Gillette razor I've bought were errors.) I've come to the conclusion that mild razors do a very effective job. Although I do like my Futur now & then;) so without further yakiting....
L to R

Ej 89, Apollo:001_wub: Flare tip rocket, Parat and finally Sheraton.

For those of you considering an OC I highly recommend the Sheraton. It's a good introduction to the OC world while being mild. Then if you can EVER get your hands on a Apollo do so!

Attachments

• $IMG_20130221_174820.jpg
    $IMG_20130221_174820.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 667
Top Bottom