What's new

Lathering Modern Williams - one method with great results

(Modern) Williams Mug Shaving Soap

The following is one lathering method that I've found for great lather with Modern Williams (or any hard puck shaving soap). I thought I'd share it, along with pictures to help anyone who has just discovered Williams; or who, like me, has failed several times and is just about to give up on this classic shaving soap.

View attachment 923366

Equipment - Puck of Williams Soap, bowl filled with hot water, and a synthetic brush

Background - I tried and failed several time and could not get good lather from Modern Williams by bowl lathering. Using this alternative method, I can get very good, dense lather from Modern Williams. However, using this method for the past 8 shaves, I've been able to achieve excellent, consistent lather. This puck is going to last quite a while.

Special Thank You to @Guitar10 who gave me awesome help, sent pictures, gave encouragement, while I was learning how to lather Williams.

Note to the seasoned pros - yes, this is using Williams as a shave stick and face lathering

View attachment 923365

Getting started - I leave the puck dry to start, no soaking, no blooming, just pull it out of its box

Step 1 - Soak your brush in hot water for at least a couple of minutes. I haven't tried warm or cold water but that should work, too

Step 2 - While your brush is soaking, wet your face and rub the side of the puck on your wet face. I start with a dry puck and use moderate pressure. You only need a light to modest amount of soap and you may barely see the soap on your whiskers. Over time, you'll be able to get the amount of soap just the way you need it.

Step 3 - Grab your brush and give it 2 medium-to-firm shakes. Get the excess water out but leave it damp

View attachment 923364

Step 4 - Begin face lathering. I start by making a figure 8, looping around 1 cheek, continuing under my chin, and looping around the other cheek. I do this a couple of times to even things out. Then, I use circular swirls to build the lather. Occasionally, I'll use the figure 8 brush stroke to even out the lather across my whiskers.

Step 5 - Add more water by dipping the tips of the brush in the soak bowl and continue to build the lather on your face. Again, I use the figure 8 stroke as I'm adding the water, then go back to using circular swirls.

View attachment 923363

Step 6 - With the lather built, I use painting strokes to smooth the lather out

Step 7 - Shave, rinse your face, and leave it wet.

Step 8 - Apply more lather for 2nd pass using the lather already in your brush. Use a combination of swirl strokes, figure 8's, and painting stroke like lathering for the 1st pass. If you do need additional soap, just rub the puck on your whiskers and build more lather.

Step 9 - After finishing my shave, I dry the puck off using a regular hand towel and put it back into its box for storage

Conclusion - I had plenty of lather for 2 full passes and then some. In my region, Williams costs $1 which makes this soap a crazy awesome bargain!! It's taken several failed lathering attempts to get to this point, but it was worth the trip. Now that I know how to lather Modern Williams, it will have a regular place in my soap rotation.
I was glad I could help the most I could, really it was a pleasure. It’s been the 5 times now that I do the same method you do and to my conclusion I preffer your method VS mine. I found that it’s way easier using it like a shave stick and face lathering and of course it take less time to get results, take less product(soap)and the shave it self seem to be better. So really in a way it’s me who should thank you, right now i’m On a new puck of Williams and i’m Counting and noting all the shaves I will get from it. Has for Vintage Williams I have few pucks and yes to soap is very easy to lather and to post shave is to me better VS modern Williams but I do found modern Williams slicker then the vintage. Gino

The other factor that comes into play is water hardness. If you have soft water or use water treated to remove calcium and magnesium, you can lather nearly any soap with ease. If you have very hard water, some soaps can be a bear to lather. Some soaps are specifically designed to lather in spite of hard water.
And I had no problem lathering Williams in my hard water.
I'm one of the fortunate ones that have...very...soft water (17/ppm). Even still, with Williams and bowl lathering, I couldn't get past the frothy bubbles. So, using it like a shave stick works excellent for me.

I was glad I could help the most I could, really it was a pleasure. It’s been the 5 times now that I do the same method you do and to my conclusion I preffer your method VS mine. I found that it’s way easier using it like a shave stick and face lathering and of course it take less time to get results, take less product(soap)and the shave it self seem to be better. So really in a way it’s me who should thank you, right now i’m On a new puck of Williams and i’m Counting and noting all the shaves I will get from it. Has for Vintage Williams I have few pucks and yes to soap is very easy to lather and to post shave is to me better VS modern Williams but I do found modern Williams slicker then the vintage. Gino
You're welcome!! And You helped a lot and your encouragement kept me trying!!

The picture of my Williams puck is after 8 shaves; it's noticeable which edge I've been using, but I'm sure I could get many, many shaves from this one puck. I have not tried Vintage Williams so I can't compare, but I'm very happy with the shaves that I get from Modern Williams.

Slow and gentle, lathers Williams.

Synth brush damp
45 second load, gentle w/nary any pressure
1.5 minute face lather, gentle w/nary any pressure.........until it thickens. Then add some pressure.

Wet the face between passes. Great, slick, non-dissipating lather

Rubbing it on the face is a great Idea. I use shave sticks most of the time, Arko, Tabac so this makes total sense!

I've never been able to get more than bubbly airy disappearing lather when bowl lathering. I decided to try face lathering, synthetic brush, soak the brush, shake out most of the water, get some proto lather off the puck and face lather. Dip the tips of the brush, and face lather away. Repeat until I get the desired lather.

Slow and gentle, lathers Williams.

Synth brush damp
45 second load, gentle w/nary any pressure
1.5 minute face lather, gentle w/nary any pressure.........until it thickens. Then add some pressure.

Wet the face between passes. Great, slick, non-dissipating lather

Here to but with a boar or pure badger. Easy does it, no need to flog it. Hard or soft water doesn't matter.

My 7th shaves whit it and i’m Falling in love whit the soap again, very great results and so simple to use just a big WOW.

Used it for the first time today. I'm not going to lie, I have mixed feelings about it. I bloomed it and it lathered just fine. The lather was rich and creamy with great slickness and protection. However, the smell. Good God, the smell. It isn't that horrible. Definitely a "clean" smell, but dang it smells like I'm putting industrial cleaner on my face. Except for the smell the soap exceeded my expectations.

I use what you might call a "layering" method. The initial puck I'll put in my mug and cover it with water, let it sit over night. Then I use it until I get to the last quarter or so. I then pry the old one out, insert a new one. I place the old puck on top. By the time you get to the new puck it's well hydrated and easy to lather. I just keep the cycle going...

This right here. This was my method for years. But remember, this was the ONLY SOAP I used. I didn't know about all this other stuff. I think Williams is for the no-nonsense shaver who is really not interested in fancy scents or artisian ingredients. When you switch to Tabac or Mitchell's and your Williams dries out, you gotta start back in with the hydration process.

Which makes the puck-as-shave-stick method attractive to those that rotate, since it doesn't require puck hydration.

However, the smell. Good God, the smell. It isn't that horrible. Definitely a "clean" smell, but dang it smells like I'm putting industrial cleaner on my face. Except for the smell the soap exceeded my expectations.

For me, the smell weakened after five days. I left it open.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The scent I guess is subjective, me I like it as a matter of fact I enjoyed it, but like I said it’s sujective.
I do like the Arko and Derby scent, so I understand fully about liking something others may not. I'm still going to have Williams Mug soap in my rotation.

Top Bottom