What's new

Lathering Modern Williams - one method with great results

(Modern) Williams Mug Shaving Soap

The following is one lathering method that I've found for great lather with Modern Williams (or any hard puck shaving soap). I thought I'd share it, along with pictures to help anyone who has just discovered Williams; or who, like me, has failed several times and is just about to give up on this classic shaving soap.

MW_1of4_WilliamsSoap.jpg

Equipment - Puck of Williams Soap, bowl filled with hot water, and a synthetic brush

Background - I tried and failed several time and could not get good lather from Modern Williams by bowl lathering. Using this alternative method, I can get very good, dense lather from Modern Williams. However, using this method for the past 8 shaves, I've been able to achieve excellent, consistent lather. This puck is going to last quite a while.

Special Thank You to @Guitar10 who gave me awesome help, sent pictures, gave encouragement, while I was learning how to lather Williams.

Note to the seasoned pros - yes, this is using Williams as a shave stick and face lathering

MW_2of4_Prepping.jpg

Getting started - I leave the puck dry to start, no soaking, no blooming, just pull it out of its box

Step 1 - Soak your brush in hot water for at least a couple of minutes. I haven't tried warm or cold water but that should work, too

Step 2 - While your brush is soaking, wet your face and rub the side of the puck on your wet face. I start with a dry puck and use moderate pressure. You only need a light to modest amount of soap and you may barely see the soap on your whiskers. Over time, you'll be able to get the amount of soap just the way you need it.

Step 3 - Grab your brush and give it 2 medium-to-firm shakes. Get the excess water out but leave it damp

MW_3of4_BuildingLather.jpg

Step 4 - Begin face lathering. I start by making a figure 8, looping around 1 cheek, continuing under my chin, and looping around the other cheek. I do this a couple of times to even things out. Then, I use circular swirls to build the lather. Occasionally, I'll use the figure 8 brush stroke to even out the lather across my whiskers.

Step 5 - Add more water by dipping the tips of the brush in the soak bowl and continue to build the lather on your face. Again, I use the figure 8 stroke as I'm adding the water, then go back to using circular swirls.

MW_4of4_ThickWilliamsLather.jpg

Step 6 - With the lather built, I use painting strokes to smooth the lather out

Step 7 - Shave, rinse your face, and leave it wet.

Step 8 - Apply more lather for 2nd pass using the lather already in your brush. Use a combination of swirl strokes, figure 8's, and painting stroke like lathering for the 1st pass. If you do need additional soap, just rub the puck on your whiskers and build more lather.

Step 9 - After finishing my shave, I dry the puck off using a regular hand towel and put it back into its box for storage

Conclusion - I had plenty of lather for 2 full passes and then some. In my region, Williams costs $1 which makes this soap a crazy awesome bargain!! It's taken several failed lathering attempts to get to this point, but it was worth the trip. Now that I know how to lather Modern Williams, it will have a regular place in my soap rotation.

I just got 55 shaves out of my puck of Williams before it fragmented into such small pieces that it's hard to get a good lather. However I think if I was wanted to , I could get another five shaves out of it. it would be great to see if you're soap stick method can do about the same... or better.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Glad you found a way to master this soap.

Williams works best for me when used every day. With such usage, it becomes softer and easier to load.
  • Unlike some, I don't find Williams requires that much more water than other soaps. A little more is all that is needed.
  • I seem to get the best results with larger brushes. Larger synthetic brushes seem to work best of all.
  • If I rub the soap in and then smooth it out with side to side painting strokes the thicker lather stays on my face without drying out.
  • I need to load more of this soap than most others.
I face lather loading my brush the traditional way.

Glad you found a way to master this soap.

Williams works best for me when used every day. With such usage, it becomes softer and easier to load.
  • Unlike some, I don't find Williams requires that much more water than other soaps. A little more is all that is needed.
  • I seem to get the best results with larger brushes. Larger synthetic brushes seem to work best of all.
  • If I rub the soap in and then smooth it out with side to side painting strokes the thicker lather stays on my face without drying out.
  • I need to load more of this soap than most others.
I face lather loading my brush the traditional way.

Hmm....I never thought about it, but I always used painting strokes myself. I wonder if that's why I had such good luck with this soap. For me, boars seem to work best (e.g. Semogue 830)

Thanks for your ideas! Still working on my Williams technique. I can build a good lather quickly, but I usually fall prey to disappearing lather on the face, though the brush lather seems to do fine.

Works great as a preshave for other soaps though!

I think that the whole process of lathering Williams is over thunk, leading to paralysis by analysis.
Just lather it, it works fine.

I have been using Williams in a similar way, rubbing dry on wet face than face lathering with a wet brush for a while. It does work for me and work well.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have not tried Williams yet as I have read many mixed reviews but this gives me hope to have a go. So I might have to start looking to get a puck of Williams and see how I go. Thanks for the photo's, it does help.

For those of you who like rubbing the puck on your wet face, you might want to try grating the puck and pressing it into one of the shaving stick tubes. That might make application easier and will keep the soap in tact as you near the end. When you get low, just grate a new puck.

I just put hot water in the mug and let it sit a while. It always fires up for me. Add a little cream to it to add slickness. Like I've said before, it makes a great base for other soaps/creams.

I use what you might call a "layering" method. The initial puck I'll put in my mug and cover it with water, let it sit over night. Then I use it until I get to the last quarter or so. I then pry the old one out, insert a new one. I place the old puck on top. By the time you get to the new puck it's well hydrated and easy to lather. I just keep the cycle going...

As it so happens, I used my stickified Williams last night.
Grate the Williams and add just enough water to make a thick paste. Thicker than peanut butter, at least. Pack it into an empty clean glue stick (or deodorant) container.
Before my prep shower I screw out about 5-10 mm of it, fill the cap with water, and put the cap back on.
Then I rub the bloomed soap onto my face and go at it with the brush.
Tonight it was my new 24 mm Synbad (again)

You guys are great; thanks for all the excellent comments and suggestions!! I haven't tried grating any soaps yet but I might do that when my puck gets very small.

55 shaves with a soap is amazing. The picture of my puck is after 8 shaves and I've barely made a dent. Might get this soap down to just over a penny per shave!!

I came into wet shaving too late to try Vintage Williams and I've heard several comments that guys like it better; although Modern Williams is slick, make good lather...and is available to us newcomers.

I went through a puck during 3017 earlier this year, zero issues lathering.
I can't forsee buying another puck anytime soon but your method sounds interesting!

I think that the whole process of lathering Williams is over thunk, leading to paralysis by analysis.
Just lather it, it works fine.
If it was intuitive, then there would be no large-scale discussions on how to lather it.

It just doesn't lather the same as many other soaps.

The other factor that comes into play is water hardness. If you have soft water or use water treated to remove calcium and magnesium, you can lather nearly any soap with ease. If you have very hard water, some soaps can be a bear to lather. Some soaps are specifically designed to lather in spite of hard water.

My tips for Williams are...

1. You can soak it , for several minutes, and have a load time of about 15 seconds, or not soak, and load for about a minute. Both work.
2. It usually helped me to come at this soap with a medium wet brush, when loading.
3. Very important is to mix past the early thin airy bubbly lather. Whether you are mixing in a bowl or on your face you have to keep going. If you have enough soap, it will turn creamy after a few minutes .

These load times etc. are for a pretty smooth boar brush. A badger may take just a little bit longer.

Top Bottom