What's new

Lambda Athena

Buckle up or get your popcorn for my deep dive on my first shave with the Lambda Athena (rated 9.9/10 with a slight deduction for two minor weepers) using the following gear and with lots of photos at the end:
  • Razor: Lambda Athena (No. 22-234)
  • Blade: 1974 U1 Gillette Super Stainless “Spoiler” (2)
  • Brush: Semogue Owner’s Club Mistura Taj (favorite)
  • Pre-shave: Noxema dwell before rinsing (good value pre-shave)
  • Soap: Stirling Christmas Eve (excellent)
  • Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by Stirling Christmas Eve splash and balm (superb)
PXL_20230128_000137413.PORTRAIT.jpg

I have been dreaming of shaving with an Athena since I first saw the photo that @Phoenixkh posted in the acquisition thread, so my impressions may be “colored.” With that disclaimer, count me as deeply impressed by the performance of this razor, which shaves like none other in my den. As for the result, I achieved a superb BBS shave in all portions of my beard in two passes plus touch ups, some rather extensive.

As for my shaving experience reaching that result, I’ll do my best by starting at the beginning. The first pass WTG was very smooth and comfortable, but the efficiency of this first pass was mid-pack. It immediately became apparent that the Athena likes to be used in its relatively narrow sweet spot, which I describe as a “neutral” angle. The audio feedback is very helpful in letting you know when you're in the sweet spot, but don’t count on blade feel for finding it.

The heavy, 119-gram weight of the razor is also immediately apparent. I needed to keep reminding myself that no added pressure is needed. Right at the start, I got two self-induced weepers, one on my Adam’s apple, and one on my neck next to it, because I used too much pressure. This pair of weepers were the reason for the 0.1 deduction from a perfect 10. Thankfully, keeping a light touch is easy because of the superb ergonomic design of the handle. The handle is exactly the right length for my hand. I love the tapered bottom end that is capped with a flange, which creates a superb location to place a pinky or ring finger for positive, fingertip control of the head. The flat bottom of the flange permits you to stand the razor on its end in a very stable way so you can marvel at the beauty of this Art Deco design. Standing on end, the Athena reminds me of an Oscars statuette. The larger diameter “top” end of the handle (i.e., nearer the cap) with its flat, slightly roughened matte portions is more substantial than the free end and a better match for my forefinger and middle finger. Again, the contrasting shapes of the top and bottom ends couples the razor more tightly to my brain. These flattened areas not only provide a grippier feeling because of the matte finish, but they also create a tactile reference point for my brain to know more about the angular position of the head while shaving. That is, I can better tell whether the head is flat against my skin or twisted slightly. For those of us who like to play with rotating the head as we shave through a stroke (@Guido75 👀), this handle provides superb rotational feedback because of its shape. I even notice that the flat areas of the top section of the handle are located on the lateral sides of the razor when a blade is loaded to make it easier to connect the feeling of these flat areas with the angular orientation of the head. but offset 45 degrees from these positions when no blade is loaded. See the two photos below of the razor standing with and without a blade loaded and note the different positions of the flattened matte portions. This attention to detail in the design is just so impressive.

The head of the razor holds the blade incredibly securely; so much so, that it is difficult to sense that a blade is loaded in the head during the shave. Although the head is rather substantial in size, I found it to be among the easiest heads to maneuver under my nose. I have whiskers essentially just inside each nostril (TMI?) that can be very difficult to reach with some razors (e.g., a Fatboy or my High Proof). The Athena made shaving these elusive whiskers a breeze, in part, I think because the blade is so well guarded that I did not hesitate to advance the razor head into the openings of my nostrils. The lather holes and channel inside the head efficiently carry shaved stubble and lather away from the skin such that it actually is not necessary to rinse the razor that often during the shave. When you do rinse the head, it puts on quite a show, however, with the renowned water jets that shoot from laterally located holes in the head. See my photo below.

The second pass ATG was where the Athena really came into its own for me. The superb blade clamping allowed the Spoiler to give me a shockingly smooth and efficient second pass. On the vast majority of my face, I was done with a BBS finish. This performance ATG was much more efficient than the first pass WTG. The fabulous second pass also made me wonder whether it would be possible to load a Feather or other super sharp blade into the Athena and shave with a single ATG pass. I’m not sure that I’m fully tuned into knowing exactly where the edge of the blade is located during the shave because the edge is tucked away somewhat in the substantial contact patch of the head, but I am sure that I will develop a better sense for the location of the blade in future uses (and there will be many).

So, after that stellar second pass, I squeezed what was left of my Stirling lather from my SOC Mistura and hand lathered my face for touch ups. I focused on the usual spots, under my left jawline, the “corners” of my cheeks at the back of my jawline, and the sides of my neck next to my Adam’s Apple. With some careful attention and using my newfound knowledge of the Athena’s sweet spot, I removed the last vestiges of stubble from even these trouble spots.

The Thayer’s witch hazel and Stirling splash and balm were the perfect close to this fantastic shave. My face feels and smells wonderful.

Theo really has created a masterpiece. I highly recommend this razor without reservation. Even at 220 Euro shipped, it is worth every “penny.”

PXL_20230128_000153596.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230128_144956656.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230128_000255838.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230128_000324562.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230128_000403289.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230128_144258878.MP-still.jpg

:badger:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Buckle up or get your popcorn for my deep dive on my first shave with the Lambda Athena (rated 9.9/10 with a slight deduction for two minor weepers) using the following gear and with lots of photos at the end:
  • Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by Stirling Christmas Eve splash and balm (superb)

I have been dreaming of shaving with an Athena since I first saw the photo that @Phoenixkh posted in the acquisition thread, so my impressions may be “colored.” With that disclaimer, count me as deeply impressed by the performance of this razor, which shaves like none other in my den. As for the result, I achieved a superb BBS shave in all portions of my beard in two passes plus touch ups, some rather extensive.

As for my shaving experience reaching that result, I’ll do my best by starting at the beginning. The first pass WTG was very smooth and comfortable, but the efficiency of this first pass was mid-pack. It immediately became apparent that the Athena likes to be used in its relatively narrow sweet spot, which I describe as a “neutral” angle. The audio feedback is very helpful in letting you know when you're in the sweet spot, but don’t count on blade feel for finding it.

The heavy, 119-gram weight of the razor is also immediately apparent. I needed to keep reminding myself that no added pressure is needed. Right at the start, I got two self-induced weepers, one on my Adam’s apple, and one on my neck next to it, because I used too much pressure. This pair of weepers were the reason for the 0.1 deduction from a perfect 10. Thankfully, keeping a light touch is easy because of the superb ergonomic design of the handle. The handle is exactly the right length for my hand. I love the tapered bottom end that is capped with a flange, which creates a superb location to place a pinky or ring finger for positive, fingertip control of the head. The flat bottom of the flange permits you to stand the razor on its end in a very stable way so you can marvel at the beauty of this Art Deco design. Standing on end, the Athena reminds me of an Oscars statuette. The larger diameter “top” end of the handle (i.e., nearer the cap) with its flat, slightly roughened matte portions is more substantial than the free end and a better match for my forefinger and middle finger. Again, the contrasting shapes of the top and bottom ends couples the razor more tightly to my brain. These flattened areas not only provide a grippier feeling because of the matte finish, but they also create a tactile reference point for my brain to know more about the angular position of the head while shaving. That is, I can better tell whether the head is flat against my skin or twisted slightly. For those of us who like to play with rotating the head as we shave through a stroke (@Guido75 👀), this handle provides superb rotational feedback because of its shape. I even notice that the flat areas of the top section of the handle are located on the lateral sides of the razor when a blade is loaded to make it easier to connect the feeling of these flat areas with the angular orientation of the head. but offset 45 degrees from these positions when no blade is loaded. See the two photos below of the razor standing with and without a blade loaded and note the different positions of the flattened matte portions. This attention to detail in the design is just so impressive.

The head of the razor holds the blade incredibly securely; so much so, that it is difficult to sense that a blade is loaded in the head during the shave. Although the head is rather substantial in size, I found it to be among the easiest heads to maneuver under my nose. I have whiskers essentially just inside each nostril (TMI?) that can be very difficult to reach with some razors (e.g., a Fatboy or my High Proof). The Athena made shaving these elusive whiskers a breeze, in part, I think because the blade is so well guarded that I did not hesitate to advance the razor head into the openings of my nostrils. The lather holes and channel inside the head efficiently carry shaved stubble and lather away from the skin such that it actually is not necessary to rinse the razor that often during the shave. When you do rinse the head, it puts on quite a show, however, with the renowned water jets that shoot from laterally located holes in the head. See my photo below.

The second pass ATG was where the Athena really came into its own for me. The superb blade clamping allowed the Spoiler to give me a shockingly smooth and efficient second pass. On the vast majority of my face, I was done with a BBS finish. This performance ATG was much more efficient than the first pass WTG. The fabulous second pass also made me wonder whether it would be possible to load a Feather or other super sharp blade into the Athena and shave with a single ATG pass. I’m not sure that I’m fully tuned into knowing exactly where the edge of the blade is located during the shave because the edge is tucked away somewhat in the substantial contact patch of the head, but I am sure that I will develop a better sense for the location of the blade in future uses (and there will be many).

So, after that stellar second pass, I squeezed what was left of my Stirling lather from my SOC Mistura and hand lathered my face for touch ups. I focused on the usual spots, under my left jawline, the “corners” of my cheeks at the back of my jawline, and the sides of my neck next to my Adam’s Apple. With some careful attention and using my newfound knowledge of the Athena’s sweet spot, I removed the last vestiges of stubble from even these trouble spots.

The Thayer’s witch hazel and Stirling splash and balm were the perfect close to this fantastic shave. My face feels and smells wonderful.

Theo really has created a masterpiece. I highly recommend this razor without reservation. Even at 220 Euro shipped, it is worth every “penny.”

Great review, @mgweatherly and very effective photos. They show the beauty and the functionality of the Athena. It's quite a nice razor, esp. given the price. I know it isn't cheap but it's a great value for the price.

Great review, @mgweatherly and very effective photos. They show the beauty and the functionality of the Athena. It's quite a nice razor, esp. given the price. I know it isn't cheap but it's a great value for the price.

I'm sure the Lambda matched up with one of your SV brushes makes for quite a majestic setup.

I'm resisting getting on the list for one of these. Just looking at it, it does seem like a good value for a beautifully finished razor with such a unique design.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Love the photo showing water shooting out of the sides of the razor.

The razor is a bargain amongst top drawer, collectible razors. A huge bargain in my opinion. It's also an excellent shaving razor, beautifully and precisely made, and uniquely engineered.

Weepers and cuts with the Athena are not impossible but rare to non existent with "no pressure" and excellent technique. In my experience with it, it's very forgiving, but it does of course have a blade.

1-22-23.Athena.Canada.SV-30mm.640.JPG

Here it's pictured with a 30 mm LE SV. Nice kit makes for good shaves.

For a number of shaves I thought maybe it couldn't cut me, but I found out otherwise. It allows me to be pretty darn sloppy. Willfully shaving with full moose abandonment of reality is another matter. I think I've had only one very minor nick with it, but I have had at least that one. User error for sure.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Congratulations on winning the Oscar for best shave!

Great photo of rinsing the head too. That’s useful for everyone and not the easiest thing to get a good picture of.

As you say, you don’t feel the blade, you go by the sound to know the angle is ideal. But I always got good shaves even when the razor was new and my angle was off - the shave just didn’t last quite as long as the razor is capable of.

I’m unsure whether the textured areas on the handle are always in the same place if you screw the handle on differently, so I can’t verify your comment about the ideal placement. But I haven’t paid a lot of attention to it and you might be right. I’ll have to check.

Really good review - almost forensic. There’s a lot you pointed out that is very informative, and you noted a lot of details about the razor and the shaving experience. I’m sure it will help a lot of people. And of course I am so glad you enjoyed the razor so much. I think it is a special thing but you never know how others will feel.

Outstanding review....thanks. Great pictures as well. Especially like the water pouring out of the sides shot...great capture.

A most brilliant review and detailed impressions.....! Thanks much... can't WAIT for mine to arrive.....

Shaved with my Athena this morning and all I can say is WOW. This may be the best first shave I've had with any new razor. The only disappointing thing was I couldn't get the water to shoot our of the sides of the razor....it just kind of dribbled out..:mad3:

I typically do 3 full passes and a fourth touch up pass with all my razors....no difference here. I will say the ATG feeling with the Athena is off the charts good. My best razor for this was my Overlander, but the Athena ups the ATG comfort considerably which really amazed me. The entire shave was super comfortable and surprisingly efficient. No weepers or irritation at all, and my skin really didn't feel like it had been shaved except for being silky smooth.

I know it's early on to know for sure where the Athena will land, but if my first shave is any indication, I may just end up on top. The Athena provides fantastic quality and engineering to say the least, along with a fantastic shaving experience. I was hesitant to purchase this razor, but this thread as well as some others had me putting my name on the waiting list last year. After today's shave, I have no buyers remorse. Theo is also very nice to do business with.

If anyone is on the fence...I say don't walk, but run and jump over that sucker and get on the list.

3DFA1D7C-12CE-489C-BE9F-75D3F83D7E4C_1_201_a.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The overall praise for the Athena continues. I'm shaving with mine next shave... so Monday or Tuesday late afternoon. I'm not an every day shaver but because of the NFL Playoffs, I shaved earlier today with my Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 razor.

I'm looking forward to the Athena shave. What a great razor. About all I can do is repeat what has been said. The Athena doesn't look on paper like it will shave any where near as nice as it looks. For me, this couldn't be farther from the truth. I know it has a negative blade exposure... but it doesn't shave like a mild razor. My Claymore Evolution AC razor is excellent but on the milder side. The Athena is at least half a step more efficient. I get 12 hour shaves every time I use it.

The Athena is also on the heavy side: something I seldom enjoy. Normally, I'd switch out the handle to something lighter. I don't have a handle that "fits" the design of this razor. I adjusted to the heavier weight with no effort. For me, it doesn't feel heavy in the hand when I'm shaving... just heavier than my norm when I initially pick it up. Of course, YMMV and all that.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I will say the ATG feeling with the Athena is off the charts good. My best razor for this was my Overlander, but the Athena ups the ATG comfort considerably which really amazed me.

That’s intriguing news. I thought the only an aluminum Overlander or polished, plated Overlander could beat that.

If anyone is on the fence...I say don't walk, but run and jump over that sucker and get on the list.

I may have already spent way too much money on a razor that doesn’t come with a cool, wooden box and outclasses the Overlander. :(

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I shaved with my Athena yesterday afternoon.... I put in a new Nacet blade. I tried to notice the angle I was using, but I was soon distracted by the seductive sound of my whiskers getting sheared off below the skin. I don't think the Nacet is as loud as the Wizamet or the USA Personnas, but it was still pleasant.

I can't say the Athena is for everyone... but for those of us who don't need the most efficient razors in existence, the Athena provides an extremely relaxing, smooth, comfortable and close shave.

I was comparing it with my Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 razor.... or trying to. I really like the GC 2.0 Level 2. I do need to try it with the Level 3 plate I have. The problem for me? The Athena makes me forget to remember to pay closer attention to anything but that shave. I mean..... my mind sort of melds with it as I shave. I have to try to remember the shave afterwards to make a comparison even though I had intended to do that while shaving.

The last time I used the Athena, I used it with a Kai blade. It was a ways back. I looked at my notes and saw, I had another stellar shave. I've liked the Athena with every blade I've tried so far.

A few people have commented they didn't care for the balance of the heavy handle with the head. For some reason, when I pick it up to transfer it from the top of my tall dresser to the bathroom, it feels nice in my hand. When I pick it up to shave, that feeling returns. I don't care for heavy razors, or that's what I thought.... but again, the Athena wins me over. I feel sort of privileged to use it. It's like I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming about someone else's B&B photos.

Is the Athena the favorite among all the razors that I have? I don't think I'd go that far but that might be confirmation bias, claiming I love all my top razors equally. I can say, I love using it. ;)

I shaved with my Athena yesterday afternoon.... I put in a new Nacet blade. I tried to notice the angle I was using, but I was soon distracted by the seductive sound of my whiskers getting sheared off below the skin. I don't think the Nacet is as loud as the Wizamet or the USA Personnas, but it was still pleasant.

I can't say the Athena is for everyone... but for those of us who don't need the most efficient razors in existence, the Athena provides an extremely relaxing, smooth, comfortable and close shave.

I was comparing it with my Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 razor.... or trying to. I really like the GC 2.0 Level 2. I do need to try it with the Level 3 plate I have. The problem for me? The Athena makes me forget to remember to pay closer attention to anything but that shave. I mean..... my mind sort of melds with it as I shave. I have to try to remember the shave afterwards to make a comparison even though I had intended to do that while shaving.

The last time I used the Athena, I used it with a Kai blade. It was a ways back. I looked at my notes and saw, I had another stellar shave. I've liked the Athena with every blade I've tried so far.

A few people have commented they didn't care for the balance of the heavy handle with the head. For some reason, when I pick it up to transfer it from the top of my tall dresser to the bathroom, it feels nice in my hand. When I pick it up to shave, that feeling returns. I don't care for heavy razors, or that's what I thought.... but again, the Athena wins me over. I feel sort of privileged to use it. It's like I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming about someone else's B&B photos.

Is the Athena the favorite among all the razors that I have? I don't think I'd go that far but that might be confirmation bias, claiming I love all my top razors equally. I can say, I love using it. ;)
But it squirts water out the ends, right? :001_rolle

Isn’t that what we’re all aspiring toward - a calm, zen-like shave, without conscious effort or thought, but still a reliably perfect result? Nothing wrong with not noticing the angle - just go with it, I’d say. Why interrupt your zen moment to analyze things if you don’t need to?

Top Bottom