What's new

Lambda Athena

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yes, the Athena shoots water out of the sides as you rinse it off.... that doesn't take away from that Zen feeling... it really is a plus..

and @Mr. Shavington , I agree completely. I did just go with it. I was making an effort to describe how it happened for me. I didn't do any analyzing until well after the shave was complete, however inadequately. I didn't even write about it until this morning, US time.

Yes, the Athena shoots water out of the sides as you rinse it off.... that doesn't take away from that Zen feeling... it really is a plus..

and @Mr. Shavington , I agree completely. I did just go with it. I was making an effort to describe how it happened for me. I didn't do any analyzing until well after the shave was complete, however inadequately. I didn't even write about it until this morning, US time.
The water shooting is akin to having a waterfall or a fountain in a Japanese zen garden. The running water helps to induce the state of ‘no-mind’.

The water shooting is akin to having a waterfall or a fountain in a Japanese zen garden. The running water helps to induce the state of ‘no-mind’.
Have you already considered providing the marketing texts for Theo? 🤪🤣

Besides, I noticed a similar "fountain feature" with the Blackbird and Mühle's Rocca. I guess the longer lather channels are the reason...

Here's a picture of the Rocca:
20230203_092725-01.jpeg

Cheers!

Have you already considered providing the marketing texts for Theo? 🤪🤣

Besides, I noticed a similar "fountain feature" with the Blackbird and Mühle's Rocca. I guess the longer lather channels are the reason...

Here's a picture of the Rocca:
View attachment 1599435

Cheers!
Marvellous picture. Yeah, there’s nowhere else for the water to escape with a Rocca. Some people said the Rocca doesn’t rinse easily but that looks like a pretty fierce stream of water coming out. Maybe it just doesn’t rinse as well in the sink and you have to do it under running water.

Marvellous picture. Yeah, there’s nowhere else for the water to escape with a Rocca. Some people said the Rocca doesn’t rinse easily but that looks like a pretty fierce stream of water coming out. Maybe it just doesn’t rinse as well in the sink and you have to do it under running water.
I never had issues with rinsing the Rocca. I rinse my razors under running water. My take on this is if one can't rinse a razor properly in the sink or a bowl perhaps the lather just isn't hydrated properly. 😉

Here's a, admittedly, poor picture of the Blackbird. I've added a ton of contrast in post editing of the picture to make the effect visible.
20230203_110504-01.jpeg

No worries, my skin is healthy in real life 😆

Last edited:
@Sascoman The Athena is a beautiful razor. Do you do an ATG pass?? If so, where do you hold the handle and what angle do you use?? I found the jaw area/upper neck difficult for finding the most efficient angle.

@Sascoman The Athena is a beautiful razor. Do you do an ATG pass?? If so, where do you hold the handle and what angle do you use?? I found the jaw area/upper neck difficult for finding the most efficient angle.
@Latherati I do - and I pretty much hold all my razors at the balance point with a light touch.

Small gap and neutral blade exposure does make it more angle sensitive, but so far I found it pretty intuitive because the geometry and especially the auditory feed back

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've already mentioned this in another thread but for me, it bears repeating: the Athena is teaching me how to find the sweet spot on any razor. The auditory feedback is so strong, I've adjusted my technique for finding just the right angle. With the sound as the guide, the Athena has been refining my approach. It's already translated to better shaves with my other razors, even though they might not project that sound as well as the Athena.

I doubt I'm adequately describing this and you might already have amazing technique. I'm still in the infancy phase where that is concerned. The Athena might have gotten me to the crawling phase. If I'm not careful, I might be taking my first steps soon. ;)

Used my Athena again today (third shave so far) and am amazed at how easy it is to get a fantastic shave. Love the feedback I get and how well this razor shaves ATG. The mildness vs efficiency is off the charts.

I used my Blackbird yesterday and as usual got a near total BBS with my 4 pass shave. The Bird is my best performing razor. The Athena provides a more comfortable shave, and has almost (90%) the same efficiency for me if that tells you anything. I’m very surprised by this to be honest. I am now going to compare the Athena with my Yates H which is always neck and neck with my Blackbird in performance. I’m expecting it to be another close match.

We’ll done Theo….you’ve really accomplished something special with the Athena.

What a joy it was to read this entire topic. Particularly enjoyed the bits of humor by @Mr. Shavington, got quite a few chuckles reading everything.
I'm more partial to the looks of the Ares V2 but the Lamba posts have definitely peaked my interest on these two razors.
I'm just starting to test a Timeless 68OC and I really want to get an SS Overlander but I might just add myself to one of these wait lists sooner than later.

What a joy it was to read this entire topic. Particularly enjoyed the bits of humor by @Mr. Shavington, got quite a few chuckles reading everything.
I'm more partial to the looks of the Ares V2 but the Lamba posts have definitely peaked my interest on these two razors.
I'm just starting to test a Timeless 68OC and I really want to get an SS Overlander but I might just add myself to one of these wait lists sooner than later.
I’m a big fan of the Overlander. I haven’t used my Timeless 68 for a long time and this is a nice reminder - I should use it tonight. Way back when I got it I started getting into razors with a lot of blade exposure and the Timeless is probably much more what I like nowadays. I’m sure my shaving technique has improved greatly since then and it will be interesting to use it. Such a beautiful razor too.

Put my name down on the waiting list for the Athena and Theo has reserved my name against no. 23-088 😃

I'm kind of newish getting into good DE razors and reading all the reviews I really liked the idea of picking up a razor and not having to think too much while shaving. If I need to take another pass to get the right finish then no biggie to me, only an extra couple of minutes.

Still a wee bit worried the handle may get a bit slippery when wet, but seems most people don't find this a problem. My cheeks don't have any real issue with any razor I use (mostly been Gillette vintage razors), and the sides of my neck are generally ok, but only sensitive area is the middle lower section of my neck. Hoping that the mentioned smoothness of the Athena will work well with my sensitive neck area.

Theo mentioned next batch may be out around end of March, but getting in my head mid to late April so I'm not disappointed.

Last edited:
Put my name down on the waiting list for the Athena and Theo has reserved my name against no. 23-088 😃

I'm kind of newish getting into good DE razors and reading all the reviews I really liked the idea of picking up a razor and not having to think too much while shaving. If I need to take another pass to get the right finish then no biggie to me, only an extra couple of minutes.

Still a wee bit worried the handle may get a bit slippery when wet, but seems most people don't find this a problem. My cheeks don't have any real issue with any razor I use (mostly been Gillette vintage razors), and the sides of my neck are generally ok, but only sensitive area is the middle lower section of my neck. Hoping that the mentioned smoothness of the Athena will work well with my sensitive neck area.

Theo mentioned next batch may be out around end of March, but getting in my head mid to late April so I'm not disappointed.
Nice...you will like the Athena. It is the best razor I've ever used ATG...just fantastic. As far as the handle goes, I have not found it to be slippery. Hope you find it as enjoyable as myself and all the other Athena users here.

Top Bottom