What's new

Lambda Athena

As others have said, I don't think it is a shallow-shaver, but it is not a steep one. So far, my experience has been that the Athena likes a pretty neutral angle.

I think the angle is indeed more in the middle of both steep and shallow, although I find it to be a little more on the shallow side than on the steep. For me anything that isn't steep is automatically labeled as shallow, since I prefer steeper razors in general and anything else is either ok or meh at best, but there are many great razors in my collection that aren't steep shavers.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
At this point I'm a reasonably experienced Athena shaver.

I generally shave by feedback. By that I mean the sounds made by the razor and blade, and the various tactile sensations delivered to me as I shave.

The feedback method has served me well. I can't say I figured it out. I just kinda sorta stumbled upon it learning to shave with injectors years ago.

Steep & Shallow Shaving Angles.640.7-22..png

After shaving entirely by feedback for a while, paying no attention to angle, I noticed most razors "tell me" to use a steep angle.

I actually don't much like razors which have to be used at a shallow angle. I find that unnatural. I won't buy a razor which I know is supposed to be used shallow. That doesn't mean I'm saying you should find them unnatural. If I have a bias it's in the direction of steep.

It seems to me there is a lot of misinformation about what angles some razors require. I have razors some folks say need to be used at a shallow angle, razors which work great for me when I use them steep. Again, I shave by feedback. Again, I like steep more than shallow. A lot more. I'm also pretty sure there are razors which require a shallow angle; the AS-D2, for example.

Also I notice that I might use a razor at different angles during different parts of my shave. Again, that's just me steering by feedback.

Most razors, regardless of anything, tend, in my experience, to work well at or near what I call the design angle. I think this is is much the same as what Grant @ShavingByTheNumbers calls the neutral angle. However, the proper way of finding that angle is best explained by Cal @Cal who says to start steep and then move towards the neutral and shallow angle. My understanding is this takes advantage of the safety bar, but Cal's the expert at explaining it.

1672997256327.png

My hearing is not great unless I wear my hearing aids. Sometimes I wear them shaving with the Athena. I've found that occasionally wearing them while shaving has greatly improved my ability to understand how to best use the Athena. Most people know the Athena has incredible, interesting, and helpful audible qualities, perhaps beyond other razors.

I'd say I certainly don't usually use the Athena at a shallow angle, but I might use it shallow here and there during the shave.

1672997214319.png

Mostly I'm just looking for what works for me. Perhaps some of my rambling thoughts might help someone else.

Certainly I don't see the Athena as requiring a shallow angle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Shallow as in Henson and/or Blackbird??
Not sure what this means. I shave with all my razors are the shallowest angle that will remove whiskers.

I find it baffling that there are so many people who prefer or espouse steep angle shaving. Even more amazing is the claim that it makes more sense. To my way of thinking, shallow angle shaving makes a lot more intuitive sense.

I am an open blade shaver. Think about how straight razors are used and that will save me a long-winded explanation. The short version would be that it would seem ideal to remove as much stubble as possible while inflicting the least amount of damage to the skin as possible. Steep angle shaving is, by definition, the deliberate angling of the blade more towards the skin (perpendicular), while shallow angle shaving is attempting to have the blade's main force directed as close as possible to right down the skin line (parralel).

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thank you for the compliment, Jim. :cornut:

You asked me the steep/shallow question 19 months ago. HERE's my reply for anyone that's interested.
Just a note: I don't know if other newbies do what I did or not but I found both your threads (Cal and Jim's / @Chan Eil Whiskers )... your journals... very informative for me. I read both of them, along with a couple others from start to finish over several days. Now that the "Journals and Diaries" forum posts show up in "new threads", that might bring more attention to them.

In my experience, both the Henson and Blackbird work best with steeper angles.

The Blackbird can work with steep angle if one doesn't mind the blade chatter. Same goes for the Dart too. Both razors are nice shavers, but the blade chatter kinda ruins the enjoyment a little.

On a happy note: I just got an email this morning from Theo, reserving Athena 019 in his first 2023 release. I'm pretty stoked. This will be a close as I can get for a birth year Athena since I'll be 70 on May 19th this year.
Ah, so he is resetting the numbers each year from now. Good to know. 250 Athenas made by the end of 2022, before the 2023 series starts.

On a happy note: I just got an email this morning from Theo, reserving Athena 019 in his first 2023 release. I'm pretty stoked. This will be a close as I can get for a birth year Athena since I'll be 70 on May 19th this year.
Congrats! That's a cool serial number!
When did you enter the mailing list?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just a note: I don't know if other newbies do what I did or not but I found both your threads (Cal and Jim's / @Chan Eil Whiskers )... your journals... very informative for me. I read both of them, along with a couple others from start to finish over several days. Now that the "Journals and Diaries" forum posts show up in "new threads", that might bring more attention to them.

Kim, you are a brave man.

Happy shaves,

Jim

First outing with the Athena went as well as could possibly be expected. Angle was natural, comfort was as good as it gets - think ASD2 comfort but with much better efficiency…

How???

This could be a daily shavers best friend

First impressions strong, and very noteworthy, more to come ….

9507AAA8-1B44-49D1-AE64-5A36A2692FAE.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom