What's new

Lambda Ares V2

Great to hear! Why do you think you prefer the Bird?
Just more familiar with it at this point. It has been my favorite for years. Once I got the Ti version most of my other razors just sit there patiently waiting to see some action.

Both the Athena and Ares are superb performing razors. I have had the Athena for a few months now and the Ares only a couple of weeks. Both are works of art and back up their appearance with performance. Not sure if they will ever knock the Bird out of first place solely on the extra upkeep factor.

Just had my first shave with the V2 - overall, super impressed. Given the minimal blade gap and neutral blade exposure, I'm absolutely floored by the efficiency of the razor. In my opinion, it's not as efficient as the Ti Blackbird SB but a very good level of efficiency for daily shaving. Blade clamping was excellent and it was an ultra smooth shave.

I stuck with a pretty shallow angle - about as shallow as the razor would allow. What angle do you guys typically use? I plan on trying out a steeper angle tomorrow to see if that improves efficiency at all.

Just had my first shave with the V2 - overall, super impressed. Given the minimal blade gap and neutral blade exposure, I'm absolutely floored by the efficiency of the razor. In my opinion, it's not as efficient as the Ti Blackbird SB but a very good level of efficiency for daily shaving. Blade clamping was excellent and it was an ultra smooth shave.

I stuck with a pretty shallow angle - about as shallow as the razor would allow. What angle do you guys typically use? I plan on trying out a steeper angle tomorrow to see if that improves efficiency at all.
I’m enjoying my Ares as well. I use a steeper angle with mine. Seems to work really well for me.

I know you are a Yates guy.
How does the Ares perform in comparison with a Yates OC H plate?
( I really like my brass Yates OC)
I've never tried an OC Yates...only the SB. I believe the Ares shaves similar to the SB H plate from Yates as far as performance goes. It may very well be similar to the Yates OC H but I don't have that for comparison. I typically don't like OC razors, but to me, the Ares feels like a SB while shaving. It's super smooth and I never feel/notice the teeth. Closeness rivals my Yates H and SB Blackbird.....very nice razor.

Sorry for the back to back post but here are the pictures as the razor arrived. Fortunately I was home to sign for it and am glad that I did, came earlier today than normal. To me, preliminary looks, really great, and got the manual for it (Theo did not include that in the Athena for me). I'll follow up with for that as I would like that, I'll pay for it to be shipped to as I really want that to, these aren't going anywhere. Looks really great to me. The 2019 was not on the Athena either and it says "Ares" on the box front (the Athena does as well but I did not notice), so nice. :thumbup1:

View attachment 1661344View attachment 1661345View attachment 1661346View attachment 1661347View attachment 1661348
Did Theo fill in and sign the inside of the booklet? My earlier Ares has the signed booklet but my recently purchases Athena did not. I emailed Theo asking for one.

I've never tried an OC Yates...only the SB. I believe the Ares shaves similar to the SB H plate from Yates as far as performance goes. It may very well be similar to the Yates OC H but I don't have that for comparison. I typically don't like OC razors, but to me, the Ares feels like a SB while shaving. It's super smooth and I never feel/notice the teeth. Closeness rivals my Yates H and SB Blackbird.....very nice razor.
Agreed that the razor feels like a SB - it's extremely smooth. It is definitely less efficient than my SB Blackbird though, and noticeably so.

It’s definitely a great shaver. For me it’s efficiency is pretty close to the Bird. My beard isn’t super thick and tough though.
That might explain the difference as mine is! The efficiency is phenomenal though, but my hair definitely does grow back faster than it does with the Bird

Now that I agree with. My whiskers do grow back a bit faster after the Ares vs the Bird. But immediate shave results feel very similar to the touch.
Totally agreed. I think this is a nuanced point around the difference between efficiency and closeness. They are comparably efficient in that they remove stubble with very few strokes but the Blackbird is able to cut closer

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I want to second @Cino , I paid 205 EUR, for what it is worth. A bit less shipping within Europe, I assume.

I want to thank @ClumsyBull for pointing out to me that some are available without preordering etc. right now. :thumbup: I will strangle him later, gratitude is important. :thumbup1:

@Shaun asleep 3 Lamba Ares V2 are available right now at Lambda Razors, without preorder. They are hopefully stylish and amazing, so I doubt they would fit into your collection, so forget what I said. :001_tt2:

Top Bottom