What's new

King Gillette Weekend

1905 Double Ring / Gillette Silver Blue

IMG_2308.jpeg

I will not lie, I was a bit frightened before lathering up. I would compare to having not skied in years and standing on the top of a mountain, staring into the back bowl of double black diamond terrain and wondering if you really want to jump in. Then you just take a deep breath and go for it. Jump in, plant pole turn, plant pole turn, repeat and next thing you know, you're down the hill. Ha! How's that for drama?!

I cannot say it was the smoothest of razors, but the end result of a 3 pass shave is amazing for a 114 year old razor. I paired with the GSB (unused) and was working on two days growth, which for me, usually means a super close and smooth shave. I haven't as much experience to draw upon, but I would say by result and feel of the razor, RFB 44, which I know you are familiar. Anyone with more experience may have more to draw on for comparison, but that should give you an idea of how it felt and shaved for me today. I don't use open combs often, so I felt it was important to have the extra days growth to work with and I am glad I did. Definitely not a daily driver for my face, but what a treat to pull out on occasion.

I hope your weekend is going well!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I will not lie, I was a bit frightened before lathering up. I would compare to having not skied in years and standing on the top of a mountain, staring into the back bowl of double black diamond terrain and wondering if you really want to jump in. Then you just take a deep breath and go for it. Jump in, plant pole turn, plant pole turn, repeat and next thing you know, you're down the hill. Ha! How's that for drama?!

I cannot say it was the smoothest of razors, but the end result of a 3 pass shave is amazing for a 114 year old razor. I paired with the GSB (unused) and was working on two days growth, which for me, usually means a super close and smooth shave. I haven't as much experience to draw upon, but I would say by result and feel of the razor, RFB 44, which I know you are familiar. Anyone with more experience may have more to draw on for comparison, but that should give you an idea of how it felt and shaved for me today. I don't use open combs often, so I felt it was important to have the extra days growth to work with and I am glad I did. Definitely not a daily driver for my face, but what a treat to pull out on occasion.

I hope your weekend is going well!
I owned a single ring once, and wasn’t that enamored with the shave. Sounds like you had a similar shave with the double. From a historical perspective, you have a real treasure.

My beater New Improved with thin 102 cap. This is definitely a thing. Smoothest shave yet from a New Improved. Polsilver (2).
IMG_20190406_093036-01.jpg
IMG_20190406_120057-01.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom