What's new

Four days in and my first DFS

Hi All

New member checking in. I have only been using a DE safety razor for four days now and this morning I got my first DFS. For some context I have been shaving now for nearly 30 years and other than an initial Philips electric thing with flip out trimmer, I have been wet shaving the whole time. I shave everyday and have always enjoyed the fresh feeling of a wet shave. However, this has always been with shaving cream from a can, applied by hand and cartridge razors.

Despite my Grandfather having been a barber and as far as I know he always used a safety razor with proper shaving cream/soap and a brush, I was never taught to shave using this method.

That all changed over this weekend just gone when I was asked to hunt down some razor blades for someone wanting to trim their beard. I had no idea it would be so hard to find razor blades (Melbourne Australia) available for sale over the counter. After trying pharmacies (chemists) and several other stores I had no luck until I stumbled onto one lonely King C Gillette razor and pack of 10 razor blades. I could not believe the price for 10 razor blades but I was not intending to purchase them often. I bought both as I felt using the blades alone to trim a beard may be slightly dangerous. Anyway, on offering the razor and blades to my bearded friend he declined the razor happy to trim with raw blade.

This left me with a brand new King C Gillette razor (with 5 included blades) and no one to give it to. So what else was I to do but search the internet to see if the razor was any good and if anyone still used safety razors to shave with. Oh what a rabbit hole I fell down. Having shaved with cartridges for a long time I thought why not spice it up a bit and give this razor a go.

Having a distant memory from my Grandfather of his disapproval at me applying my shaving cream without a brush, and having already ventured down the rabbit hole that is this forum and many other shaving sites, I thought may as well try this thing properly so on Sunday night I ordered a shaving brush and container of Tabac to get this thing underway.

On Monday morning (while waiting for my new toys to be delivered) I attempted a saftey razor shave with my regular gel shaving cream. Just the one pass because I had never reapplied the cream in my shaving life and the safety razor did not feel happy to go ATG without cream like I would normaly do so I left it at that and had a predicatably average shave. Tuesday, still no new toys, so largely the same result although technique had improved slightly and no knicks so far so confidence increased as well and while not great the shave was better. Tuesday afternoon my new shaving kit arrived so Wednesday morning I had my first ever expereince with a shaving brush and soap. It went reasonably well, had a two pass shave because when you have the brush loaded with lather it is very easy to reapply. Shave was okay but I knicked my cheek spilling some claret and took a couple of layers of skin off a small patch on my neck so not a great start. The Tabac smelt good during the day and my face felt cleaner and better than it had before so I was not discouraged.

This morning I was a bit careful given the blood letting the day before and had a two pass shave again (WTG and XTG) felt okay during the shave and was more concerned about no blood letting which was achieved. Loving the shaving brush and the ease of application and second application. I should have listened to my Grandfather all those years ago. After finishing up I felt the results and it was smooth. Very smooth WTG and XTG with only a little stubble ATG, all in all a DFS.

I am afraid I may now be hooked but given I have the razor and probably several months if not more of shaving soap supply, the costs should be minimal from here on, that is right isn't it? Although the King C Gillette is really only a starting razor...

Thank you for listening to my ramblings, have a good day all.

Welcome to B&B... I was right there, a year ago... I had a similar Norelco... with that flip out trimmer.. I got my first razor in Feb. last year.... after decades of canned goo and a cartridge razor.
Thank you, I am curious, you say you got your first razor in Feb. How many do you have now? I am afraid I already have my upgrade planning underway.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. When you get a chance head over to the Hall of Fame and tell us a little about yourself.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Welcome to B&B, have some great shaves! Well looks like Grandpa would be proud of you trying a DE razor, next buy a brush and some good soap and just enjoy what you have been missing. I was a cartridge razor shaver for over 35 + years using canned gel and foam. I'm a Traditional wet shaver for the last 6 years and enjoying it.
I enjoy a brush better than using my hands but either one works, a brush massages and cleans better IMO.

Mate, Queensland here. Good to see you on B&B and that your shaving experience is improving. It really is a satisfying skill to acquire. As for being hooked - come in spinner!

There are some fabulous online and shop front shaving here in Australia. There is also some fabulous Australian shaving soap artisans. Dr Google will help with that. Have fun!

Hi All

New member checking in. I have only been using a DE safety razor for four days now and this morning I got my first DFS. For some context I have been shaving now for nearly 30 years and other than an initial Philips electric thing with flip out trimmer, I have been wet shaving the whole time. I shave everyday and have always enjoyed the fresh feeling of a wet shave. However, this has always been with shaving cream from a can, applied by hand and cartridge razors.

Despite my Grandfather having been a barber and as far as I know he always used a safety razor with proper shaving cream/soap and a brush, I was never taught to shave using this method.

That all changed over this weekend just gone when I was asked to hunt down some razor blades for someone wanting to trim their beard. I had no idea it would be so hard to find razor blades (Melbourne Australia) available for sale over the counter. After trying pharmacies (chemists) and several other stores I had no luck until I stumbled onto one lonely King C Gillette razor and pack of 10 razor blades. I could not believe the price for 10 razor blades but I was not intending to purchase them often. I bought both as I felt using the blades alone to trim a beard may be slightly dangerous. Anyway, on offering the razor and blades to my bearded friend he declined the razor happy to trim with raw blade.

This left me with a brand new King C Gillette razor (with 5 included blades) and no one to give it to. So what else was I to do but search the internet to see if the razor was any good and if anyone still used safety razors to shave with. Oh what a rabbit hole I fell down. Having shaved with cartridges for a long time I thought why not spice it up a bit and give this razor a go.

Having a distant memory from my Grandfather of his disapproval at me applying my shaving cream without a brush, and having already ventured down the rabbit hole that is this forum and many other shaving sites, I thought may as well try this thing properly so on Sunday night I ordered a shaving brush and container of Tabac to get this thing underway.

On Monday morning (while waiting for my new toys to be delivered) I attempted a saftey razor shave with my regular gel shaving cream. Just the one pass because I had never reapplied the cream in my shaving life and the safety razor did not feel happy to go ATG without cream like I would normaly do so I left it at that and had a predicatably average shave. Tuesday, still no new toys, so largely the same result although technique had improved slightly and no knicks so far so confidence increased as well and while not great the shave was better. Tuesday afternoon my new shaving kit arrived so Wednesday morning I had my first ever expereince with a shaving brush and soap. It went reasonably well, had a two pass shave because when you have the brush loaded with lather it is very easy to reapply. Shave was okay but I knicked my cheek spilling some claret and took a couple of layers of skin off a small patch on my neck so not a great start. The Tabac smelt good during the day and my face felt cleaner and better than it had before so I was not discouraged.

This morning I was a bit careful given the blood letting the day before and had a two pass shave again (WTG and XTG) felt okay during the shave and was more concerned about no blood letting which was achieved. Loving the shaving brush and the ease of application and second application. I should have listened to my Grandfather all those years ago. After finishing up I felt the results and it was smooth. Very smooth WTG and XTG with only a little stubble ATG, all in all a DFS.

I am afraid I may now be hooked but given I have the razor and probably several months if not more of shaving soap supply, the costs should be minimal from here on, that is right isn't it? Although the King C Gillette is really only a starting razor...

Thank you for listening to my ramblings, have a good day all.
Good to have you on the forum. You will only get better from here as your technique improves. Best of luck.

Top Bottom