What's new

King C Gillette vs Slim

I am relatively new to safety razor shaving with just couple months of experience. My first razor is a King C Gillette, which I have mastered enough to get BBS with minimum irritation consistently using Astra Platinum or Gillette Platinum blades. My wife gave me a beautiful platinum re-plated Slim for my birthday, which I have used a couple times, but not quite conquered, though.
So my question is: What is the setting for the Slim that would make it equivalent or close to equivalent to the KGC?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I would start with #1 for a week, then bump it up to #2 for the next week, and keep bumping it up one setting a week at a time until you find the comfort and efficiency level that matches your shaving style. For me, the sweet spot on my Slim is #4.

~doug~

My slim on 3 is about the same as the King C. I just got a great 3 pass shave last month with the slim. I never used to I am certain that I just found the angle. And I went 3,2,1 setting on the passes

I just bought a King C to see what the new toy is like. It's exactly like an EJ, which I find rougher than a Slim at 2 or 3. An acceptable travel or backup razor but no daily driver for me. I have sensitive skin and never allow much growth before shaving. At minimum I shave 3x, more often 4x or 5x a week.

If it’s exactly like an EJ I’d forget trying to mimic it with a slim.

Get a sharp blade, start the slim on 5. Go down if necessary, but don’t be afraid to go up. My slims tend to shine at around 6 for me. They’re far smoother than the EJ (King C) IMO.

As already stated though start to let yourself experiment with angles more.

Having tried both the blades you’ve mentioned have you tried Permasharps? They’re sharp but pretty forgiving. which version of the Gillette platinums are you using (White box/light blue or dark blue?)

I always thought the Gillette Heritage head was made by Muhle (as is the Edwin Jagger) but the King C. Gillette head was made by, or looks an awful lot like, the Merkur head.
Or does EJ also have a head shaped like the Merkur one.
Otherwise I don't understand why the King c. Gillette is being compared to the Edwin Jagger head.
Does the new KCG (fully made in China) have a different head from the older version?

I always thought the Gillette Heritage head was made by Muhle (as is the Edwin Jagger) but the King C. Gillette head was made by, or looks an awful lot like, the Merkur head.
Or does EJ also have a head shaped like the Merkur one.
Otherwise I don't understand why the King c. Gillette is being compared to the Edwin Jagger head.
Does the new KCG (fully made in China) have a different head from the older version?
No, the Chinese one is still the same razor. The packaging suggests a different handle, but based on pictures I have seen on the bay it is still the same razor.

I shaved with mine last week and after two shaves switched to the Mühle R89. For me they are two completely different razors. Not at all similar. The KCG for some reason did not perform as it did when I first started DE shaving, but the R89 delivered an excellent shave. I have no experience with Merkur razors, but I would say the head is closer to Merkur than Mühle indeed.

Cheers,

Guido.

That's what I thought when I saw it in the shop.
Didn't get one despite it appeared to be having a different handle. But they didn't change it after all then?
This is at least what I last saw on a subsite of the bay:

1705835747405.png

Because of that handle would have been different, I might be inclined to buy it. Although pricing has gone through the roof in the Netherlands at least on this razor. Currently at €25 where I think I bought mine for €14-15. KCG blades are even worse in pricing so I am glad I stocked up during relatively good sales moments!

Top Bottom