What's new

Karve Overlander or Yates Precision with H plate?

Personally I wasn't fond of the Nodachi when I had it, but I have yet to own another razor that can beat the Blackbird, best part of that is the Blackbird is cheaper (even the titanium I believe....Tataras aint cheap)
@noslen Could you share a bit more on how the Nodachi differed with the Blackbird? The Nodachi has come back up on my radar recently. Blackbird Ti is my current baseline and Yates H and EH were on my list to try as well.

Great discussion here. I have a Yates with M and H plates and its awesome. I've been feeling the desire to try a Blackbird though - sounds like from an efficiency standpoint they are pretty much equal - is that the consensus?

The Yates H may have just a hint more blade feel, but I find it a very smooth shaver. I don't think you'll notice too much difference between the Overlander and Yates on that front....at least I don't. What you will notice is more efficiency with the Yates.
Great discussion here. I have a Yates with M and H plates and its awesome. I've been feeling the desire to try a Blackbird though - sounds like from an efficiency standpoint they are pretty much equal - is that the consensus?
I have the Yates in H and EH plates and the Blackbird SS in SB and OC. The Yates EH plate is very efficient and smooth, but for me not quite as efficient as the BB. The BB can be as smooth as the Yates but with the BB’s small gap (.58mm I think) is more difficult to maintain the correct angle.

I had a hard time getting a smooth shave with the BB until I read Shane’s (Blacklands owner‘s) advice on the correct angle to use on his razor. He advises using a neutral to shallow angle for the best efficiency and smoothness. That made all the difference for me.

These are two great razors that offer a very different experience to efficiency and smoothness.

I have the Yates in H and EH plates and the Blackbird SS in SB and OC. The Yates EH plate is very efficient and smooth, but for me not quite as efficient as the BB. The BB can be as smooth as the Yates but with the BB’s small gap (.58mm I think) is more difficult to maintain the correct angle.

I had a hard time getting a smooth shave with the BB until I read Shane’s (Blacklands owner‘s) advice on the correct angle to use on his razor. He advises using a neutral to shallow angle for the best efficiency and smoothness. That made all the difference for me.

These are two great razors that offer a very different experience to efficiency and smoothness.
Thanks, I just bought a Ti Blackbird today so looking forward to putting this advise to use! Also added an EH plate for my Yates 🤪

Top Bottom