What's new

Thinking of buying Karve or Yates...

If you don't like mild razors, I would rule out the overlander.
Exactly why I recommended the Yates, even though the Overlander is my favorite razor.
Yates, 100%.
I have not used the Overlander, but I do own a Cristopher Bradley with B, C, D, and E plates. This razor has been mothballed several years ago. I never was a fan.
I bought a 921 and have never looked back. This has become my daily shaver. I own all 3 geometry base plates. I only use the M on my head, but the H and EH I use routinely based on different factors. I see that you only shave every 2 - 3 days. Is that because you only need to remove whiskers that often or is your situation in life such that you can grow it out that much? The reason that I ask is the EH plate is quite aggressive. The H plate is not as aggressive so it will require more passes to get the job done if you're dealing with a heavy 3 day growth.
My favorite aspect of the Yates over every other razor I have used is the angle that the razor works best in. It is a near vertical (steep) angle that I find this razor works best in. It is a very intuitive angle for me to shave with.
I have met Chris from Karve and he is a stand up guy. His customer service is excellent. I have not met Jake Yates but I will tell you that his customer service is also stellar. I think it's a draw in that area (if that kind of thing matters to you).
If you are doing an apples to apples comparison (stainless steel), the Karve is $239 vs the Yates (921) is $159. For $240 you can build a 921 in titanium. I own both SS and Ti versions of the 921 and I wholeheartedly prefer the Ti version. It is a very nimble. My only "complaint" I have about Ti is its ability to hold water. SS retains more water (surface tension I guess). I have had to learn the habit of rinsing my razor more often to replenish the water held in the head. That might not make sense unless you have experienced it. I do not like aluminum or brass metals for shaving.
If I may, my back up razor is a RazoRock Lupo. I own the 58, 72, and 95 plates (I do not own the 127 plate yet, but I will :devil2:).
The Lupo is a fine razor that is very affordable along with many plates to fine tune what you are looking for. If they made a Ti version, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one as well. In my experience, the angle used with the Lupo is slightly more shallow than the Yates but still steep enough for my liking.
The Overlander is nothing like the Christopher Bradley.
I didn't like the Christopher Bradley, but love the Overlander.

I'm looking for some input on the Karve and Yates razors. I have never owned any razors from these two companies and am considering picking up a Karve Overlander (aluminum or stainless steel), or one of the Yates razors (not sure which).

At the moment I own only two razors: EJ DE89 and Muhle Rocca. I do not like overly mild/inefficient razors, or razors that require lots of effort to "maintain the angle". I typically shave every 2 - 3 days.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Well, this thread has taken a predictable turn, and you are no doubt even more confused than when you started. More choices = paralysis from analysis. I get that. In my short 10 months as a cartridge shaving apostate, I’ve learned two things:
  • Galibier Rule #1: whatever opinion I had a month ago, is all but irrelevant and requires revisiting.
  • I know very little.
You made several comments which could take you in opposite directions.
  • You need an aggressive razor because you shave every 2-3 days.
  • You don’t shave daily because you get too irritated. Ergo, you need an aggressive razor to mow down the undergrowth.
See the problem?

My suggestion is to find a moderate razor and try shaving more frequently. Dial your technique. You’ll screw up. I know I did, and I had my share of regrettable shaves. My chin/goatee area paid the price on more than one occasion. Shaving daily will accelerate your learning curve (more reps).

I don’t know the Yates, although I like their vibe and general principles – best I can tell.

Me? I started with a Henson AL+ and experienced the paradox of the mild razor: not as efficient as I’d like, resulting in more passes and more irritation. I picked the Henson up before inhabiting this forum.

Onward to a series of Gamechangers (.68-p, .76-p and .84-p base plates). Much better, and I likely could have stopped there (likely with the .76-p base plate), but I found myself screwing up on a semi-regular basis, and surfed this forum for options.

Galibier Rule #1 applies, and I’ll return to the Gamechanger(s) to re-evaluate. I'll bet that I like them better after spending three months with my new "favorites".

In early September, along came the Overlander and it was a revelation for me. It’s quite agnostic about blades (relative to the Gamechanger), and you can read more about it in the Goatlander thread – mild and efficient, and an ATG wonder. People who normally like more aggressive and efficient razors bond with them. Don't take my word for it.

Just before Christmas, a Lambda Athena swam by on BST, and I couldn’t resist. It’s a slightly more efficient Overlander, with a slightly broader sweet spot (range of "ideal" angles). I’m still learning its secrets, although right out of the box it was intuitive to me in the same way that the Overlander was. Apart from the slightly broader range of sweet spots and slightly higher efficiency, the Athena and Overlander, are more alike to me than they are different.

My suggestion is to get one of these three, and work on getting to the point where you shave on a daily basis (36 hours at most). Use confirmation bias to your advantage. The razor you have an irrational yearning for will likely encourage you to stick with it.

... Thom

I've owned and used both.

The Yates OC H (brass) is a MUCH better shaver than the Karve OC C, D, E (brass),
in my own experience.

The Yates remains a cherished razor in my rotation of 6,
the Karve was sold long ago...

If the two dozen or so razors I’ve bought and sold, my Yates 921-H is easily my favorite. I haven’t tried an Overlander, although it’s bound to happen soon. Based on your stated preferences, you might prefer the feel of a Yates razor, as the Overlander is often reported as mild feel but efficient results. Either way, maybe just pick one and be at peace with the fact that you’ll eventually work your way towards the other :)

Well, this thread has taken a predictable turn, and you are no doubt even more confused than when you started. More choices = paralysis from analysis. I get that. In my short 10 months as a cartridge shaving apostate, I’ve learned two things:
  • Galibier Rule #1: whatever opinion I had a month ago, is all but irrelevant and requires revisiting.
  • I know very little.
You made several comments which could take you in opposite directions.
  • You need an aggressive razor because you shave every 2-3 days.
  • You don’t shave daily because you get too irritated. Ergo, you need an aggressive razor to mow down the undergrowth.
See the problem?

My suggestion is to find a moderate razor and try shaving more frequently. Dial your technique. You’ll screw up. I know I did, and I had my share of regrettable shaves. My chin/goatee area paid the price on more than one occasion. Shaving daily will accelerate your learning curve (more reps).

I don’t know the Yates, although I like their vibe and general principles – best I can tell.

Me? I started with a Henson AL+ and experienced the paradox of the mild razor: not as efficient as I’d like, resulting in more passes and more irritation. I picked the Henson up before inhabiting this forum.

Onward to a series of Gamechangers (.68-p, .76-p and .84-p base plates). Much better, and I likely could have stopped there (likely with the .76-p base plate), but I found myself screwing up on a semi-regular basis, and surfed this forum for options.

Galibier Rule #1 applies, and I’ll return to the Gamechanger(s) to re-evaluate. I'll bet that I like them better after spending three months with my new "favorites".

In early September, along came the Overlander and it was a revelation for me. It’s quite agnostic about blades (relative to the Gamechanger), and you can read more about it in the Goatlander thread – mild and efficient, and an ATG wonder. People who normally like more aggressive and efficient razors bond with them. Don't take my word for it.

Just before Christmas, a Lambda Athena swam by on BST, and I couldn’t resist. It’s a slightly more efficient Overlander, with a slightly broader sweet spot (range of "ideal" angles). I’m still learning its secrets, although right out of the box it was intuitive to me in the same way that the Overlander was. Apart from the slightly broader range of sweet spots and slightly higher efficiency, the Athena and Overlander, are more alike to me than they are different.

My suggestion is to get one of these three, and work on getting to the point where you shave on a daily basis (36 hours at most). Use confirmation bias to your advantage. The razor you have an irrational yearning for will likely encourage you to stick with it.

... Thom

Thom,

Thank you for the thoughtful replay. I must ask ask, what do you do for a living? Are you a copywriter? So well written and entertaining to read. :)

I actually owned and sold the GC 0.84. I liked the razor just fine, but enjoyed my Rocca more and felt that the 2 are more similar than they are different --like with your Athena/Overlander experience.

Thom,

Thank you for the thoughtful replay. I must ask ask, what do you do for a living? Are you a copywriter? So well written and entertaining to read. :)

I actually owned and sold the GC 0.84. I liked the razor just fine, but enjoyed my Rocca more and felt that the 2 are more similar than they are different --like with your Athena/Overlander experience.
I run a small company in a parallel "enthusiast" industry and find similar choices having to be made by my customers, as we have to make in this crazy sport. Occasionally, I even listen to my own advice ;-)

... Thom

I have the Yates-921M and several Overlanders. I like both but prefer the Overlander. I find it a bit more efficient than the 921-M. They both feel very mild on the face. And it’s very easy to maintain the angle on both. Neither requires much thought or effort.

I have no experience with the 921-H as I’m mostly a daily shaver and the 921-H would be way more efficiency and bladefeel than I need, but I’m sure it’s a great razor.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Because the Lambda Ares came in days after the post , and trumped it. Geeze never knew I had to explain myself. Follow the timeline on the post history, mate.
I'm glad you are enjoying your Athena. I have it on good authority (@Mr. Shavington ) the Athena sits comfortably among the best razors in the world. I don't have Richard's vast experience but I've trusted his advice since August of 2022....

We are so fortunate to be wet shaving at this time in history. There are so many great products, new and Vintage, from which to choose.

Because the Lambda Ares came in days after the post , and trumped it. Geeze never knew I had to explain myself. Follow the timeline on the post history, mate.
Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

Top Bottom