What's new

Karve Goatlander Brotherhood (KGB)

FYI Gladius handles are ready in limited configurations, i.e. whole razor orders in aluminum and brass , loose handle orders to come later on , no stainless/copper , maybe copper in the future.

From their instagram feed:
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 8.38.00 AM.png

March 26, 2024 Tuesday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, aluminum
Blade: Dorco Prime (3)
Soap: Noble Otter The Noir Et Vanille
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Timberwolf w/Mysterious Space Handle
Post shave: Barbera alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Fine Snake Bite

Excellent shave today. No weepers, etc. and no irritation, very close!

10/10

Enjoy your day!

SOTD 03_25_24.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I really like the looks of the Wagner handle. I've only seen a couple of them here. That was one of my initial hesitations about the Overlander.... the original handle design. The Wagner ups the price a bit, but I do like how it looks.

Because many of us use razors from around the world, personally, I wish the US manufacturers still using the #10-32 thread would adopt the M3 threads so their handles would be interchangeable with the rest of the world's razors. I guess some of the Vintage Gillette razors use another thread as well as Fatip... but the vast majority of razor manufactures use that M5 thread.

I really like the looks of the Wagner handle. I've only seen a couple of them here. That was one of my initial hesitations about the Overlander.... the original handle design. The Wagner ups the price a bit, but I do like how it looks.
I have Overlander with Wagner handle, and like it but some reviews here tell it is less grippy as other handles. For me it was not problem, but I have only AL Overlander (very light). It is like to shave with blade only 😆

I have Overlander with Wagner handle, and like it but some reviews here tell it is less grippy as other handles.

The Wagner handle is basically just a smooth cylinder despite its appearance. The arrows in the flat parts are recessed so they don't add any grip and the flat parts are really shallow so they don't really change the diameter of the handle.

wagner-handle.jpg

Most of Karve's other handles either provide changes in the diameter of the handle or use the raised diamond pattern for grip.

For example the Knopf Pommel handle has both:

knopf-pommel.jpg

I tried a Persona Comfort Coat in the Overlander tonight. First time using this blade. Can’t say I was impressed with it.

I used a new soap- Henri et Victoria, La Poire Francaise (from a sample)- the soap smells incredible and has a texture that makes you almost want to eat it, but I really struggled to build a good lather with it. It behaves differently than any other soap I've used.
I have to wonder if perhaps this attributed to the perceived poor performance of the blade.

I’ll reserve judgement on the Comfort Coat blades in the Overlander until I try it with a soap I’m familiar with.

(I also will spend some time trying to figure out how to use this soap, as the smell and post shave feel of it really is outstanding. Almost smells like honeycomb or something).

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s excellent shave
Karve brass Overlander on PAA el Fantasma Naranja handle
Egyptian Bolzano (1)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Dinosaur G5C 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: warm shower then a drop of hyaluronic acid
Lather: ARKO!, bowl-loaded; face-lathered
Aftershave: Aqua Velva
Post-shave: body wash with shave binky
Post-shave: hyaluronic acid and Equate moisturizer

A fresh, possibly sharper blade probably helped. Showering before shaving definitely helped. So did using a little more soap and a lot more water than usual (also helped lather drip all over the place…). The hyaluronic acid or its tag-along ingredients made my skin slicker, but I couldn’t tell if that survived that lathering.

What I could tell was the shave was glorious. The bead-blasted head of the Overlander glided effortlessly over the lather letting the blade trim every whiskers in its path. Not all were cut as close as I wanted, but there’s next time for that. It’s a joy to use for solely ATG shaving.

My second shave with the Overlander. I used a sharper blade this time (first time 7 o'clock yellow, this time Kai), which upped the efficiency without any loss of comfort. Like last time, I'm in awe of how much buffing and touching up can be done without a trace of irritation. Love this thing!

1000017078.jpg

March 30, 2024 Saturday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, brass
Blade: FlyDear (2)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia w/Tuxedo knot
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Nor'easter

Back to the Overlander for a terrific shave. Three passes, no weepers, etc. and no irritation.
The previous shave was with a Christopher Bradley w/ C OC plate. It's amazing that two razors with similar specs can shave so differntly. The CB irritated my neck and opened a healed area that had healed over. Not good. On the other hand, the Overlander shaved closer and didn't cause any problems. It's truly a stand-out razor among many I have.

SOTD 03_30_24.jpg

I hadn't shaved since Friday and decided to get one in tonight rather than rush tomorrow morning, and also wanted to experiment with my aluminum Overlander a bit, so instead of my usual routine I lathered-up from a can of Barbasol cream and did a one-pass ATG shave. I was curious to see how far I could push it, something I'd never do with another DE, but felt comfortable with here.

The shave was silky smooth with a BBS result.

Doesn't seem to matter what I throw at it, the Overlander just keeps truckin'. There's really nothing more I can ask of this razor.

•Aluminum Overlander with a Perma-Sharp.
This razor has killed any desire to buy or use another. Heck, I have a brand new Bison that I haven’t even tried because I don’t want to use anything else.
One day I’ll buy a stainless steel Overlander, and I’d eventually like to try a Blackbird Ti, but I’m in no hurry. I feel like I found “the one”.

Another product that I’m crazy about is this Henri et Victoria- La Poire Francaise (the French Pear) soap.
I haven’t used anything else since I got this sample from Maggards.
I think I have about 2 dozen samples(mostly artisan) and this is by far my favorite.

IMG_4425.jpeg

April 1, 2024 Monday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, brass
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Soap: Barrister and Mann. Le Grand Chypre
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Post shave: Barbero alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Today's shave was no April Fools joke, it was great. Three passes, no drama, no irritation.
The Overlander is the most consistently good razor I own. It always delivers a spectacular shave!
The Wizamet blade was noticeably sharper than the FlyDear used last time. Very smooth, too.

SOTD 04_01_24.jpg

I've clicked over 10 shaves now with the overlander and it's like I've been using it for my whole life, so easy to use achieving great quality shaves every time. To expand my collection I said I'll add the Christopher Bradley to the collection and that arrived recently so I treated the razor like I do with the Overlander and it bite me a few times with a C plate probably due to the different angle. Plan was to use the CB razor for heavier growth but now I'm not so sure it was a good idea.

Aluminum Overlander + Wizamet.

First time using a Wizamet in my Overlander, it preformed quite well.
But then again, I’ve liked every blade I’ve tried in the Overlander except for the Personna Comfort Coat.
(But I need to try another one before forming an opinion, It may have just been a dud blade).

Aluminum Overlander + Wizamet.

First time using a Wizamet in my Overlander, it preformed quite well.
But then again, I’ve liked every blade I’ve tried in the Overlander except for the Personna Comfort Coat.
(But I need to try another one before forming an opinion, It may have just been a dud blade).
Wizamets are working okay so far. I'm still trying to decide how much I like the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinums (black), blue-pack Platinums, and Silver Blue's. Didn't care for the Nacet, which has been the only dud in this razor.

Top Bottom