What's new

Karve Goatlander Brotherhood (KGB)

My experiences with the Overlander have been documented many times. I could never get an enjoyable shave. I know now that was because of my lack of experience as it was one of my first DE razors.

I continue to toy with the idea of buying another one. I just priced them out: brass with a handle I prefer and a stand is roughly $150 US; stainless steel is almost $280 US for the same configuration.

My metal of choice would probably be bronze but that doesn’t look possible at the moment.

I have a couple other things in the works for the next couple months, but later in the year, it feels like an Overlander will show up at our place.

I do like my Overlanders. That's plural, I have them in 3 metals. They are on the milder side of my collection. Kim, you like a notch more than me in general, so the Overlander may be too mild for your preferences. You might want to try a used brass one first and skip the stand, because there would be a reasonable probability it wouldn't earn a spot in your den.

Just a thought to share. Wait! I'm not enabling, don't tell the mods! Buy them all!!!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I do like my Overlanders. That's plural, I have them in 3 metals. They are on the milder side of my collection. Kim, you like a notch more than me in general, so the Overlander may be too mild for your preferences. You might want to try a used brass one first and skip the stand, because there would be a reasonable probability it wouldn't earn a spot in your den.

Just a thought to share. Wait! I'm not enabling, don't tell the mods! Buy them all!!!
Yeah, @spacemonkey42 . I recently got the GoodFellas Smile brass Bayonetta... and I have the Rocnel brass Elite waiting for me when we get home.... I'm guessing both of those might be a half step more efficient than the Overlander. I know I get 12 hour shaves with the Bayonetta and I expect the same from the brass Elite since I get them from my 2022 SS Elite.

Since you like the Overlander but didn't care for the Level 1 Green Cult 2.0, you are probably right... The Green Cult 2.0 Level 1 was a bit too mild for me...

This morning’s shave was another fantastic one with the Overlander. I’m very pleased with my purchase.

Razor: Karve Overlander, brass
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (5)
Pre-Shave: None
Soap: Cella Red
Brush: EJ Silvertip
AS: Cella Red Splash

Have a blessed day.
IMG_3707.jpeg

I have a brass Karve. I've had it for years. It was the first modern razor I bought and I haven't touch a vintage razor hardly since. It has survived several purges because it's so beautifully made. I've gravitated to the G OC plate in the Christopher Bradley. What should I expect if I bought an Overlander?

I have a brass Karve. I've had it for years. It was the first modern razor I bought and I haven't touch a vintage razor hardly since. It has survived several purges because it's so beautifully made. I've gravitated to the G OC plate in the Christopher Bradley. What should I expect if I bought an Overlander?
TBH, the Overlander may not be aggressive enough for you. The OC 'G' plate of the Christopher Bradley is its most aggressive. But if your technique is well refined and you're looking for a more gentle razor. You might give it a try.

KGB Inaugural Shave -- March 16, 2024

Razor: Karve Overlander
Blade: Nacet
Brush: Zenith 506BC Manchurian badger
Soap: Ethos Greenfresh

Well, after reading through this thread and receiving a brass Overlander yesterday (Happy Birthday to me), I am persuaded that the Overlander may very well vie for the title "GOAT." My first shave was as "magical" as you true believers describe -- very efficient yet extraordinarily comfortable. Shave experience put me very much in mind of my current #1, the Yates 921-M. The Overlander could not quite get the job done in two passes, but the lack of any irritation or feedback on the neck puts the Overlander in the very top tier of razors that perform exceedingly well for me.

20240316_091714.jpg

February 13, 2023 Tuesday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, aluminum
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
Soap: Cella red
Brush: Yaqi w/30mm Tuxedo knot
Post shave: Osma alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Nor'easter

Today's shave was very close, no weepers, nicks or irritation. The Overlander delivered a wonderful shave. I try other razors, but haven't found anything that gives a closer or more comfortable shave.
The humongous Yaqi brush did a good job of whipping up great lather. I have thought about PIFing this brush, but today made me change my mind. Although it's like using a floor mop on your face, it seemed to do a great job.

10/10 Baby Seal Smooth

Enjoy your day!

View attachment 1795751
Hello Sir, if you don’t mind me asking, what size handle is this? I am looking into an aluminum Overlander and decide between the different handle sizes. This seems to look perfectly balanced.

Today’s shave was not my best effort. Everywhere except the mustache area was excellent, but the mustache area I wasn’t as impressed. I didn’t pay it enough mind.

Razor: Karve Overlander, brass
Blade: GSB (1)
Pre-Shave: None
Soap: The Dead Sea
Brush: EJ Silvertip
AS: The Dead Sea

Have a blessed St Patrick’s Day!
IMG_3716.jpeg

I haven’t been posting lately with work being crazy, but I’m still shaving. I have gotten a bit lazy - especially on weekends. But on the plus side I can report the Overlander handled five days of growth with no issues. The shave took a bit longer than usual, but the end result was excellent.

Top Bottom