What's new

just shaved with barbasol

It would be interesting to learn.

My concern is more directed at it drying or irritating the skin as opposed to it's catching fire. Before finding this site I had used it in the past with not very good results. I can't say it was the Barbasol or other canned goo I tried because in fact I was shaving wrong in the first place. Cartridge razors, bad prep and technique ect...

I suspect the isobutane is far worse than the propane in that aspect.

I just looked at a can of Pam and Baker's Secret aerosols, and both of those are naturally flammable as well.

Pam is straight-up vegetable oil (and propellant, of course). You can run a car on it.

Isn't Baker's Secret aerosol flour? That can be quite explosive.

Over all, the warning is there because the corporate lawyers tell them to put it there, so they have a leg to stand on in front of a jury.

That is the root cause, but in reality the direct cause is that it's tradition, there's no reason not to, and nobody at the labeling department is going to be the guy to propose increasing their exposure for no reason even if they don't think it's a real issue.

This discussion made me wonder if those newfangled common-aerosol-can fire extinguishers come with such warnings. I just did some searching and couldn't find a photo of the back of any of them. One had the usual "Warning: Contents under pressure" bit on the front though.

Just tried the yellow Barbasol as a result of this thread. It was...pretty good actually. The smell was great, but the lanolin effect wasn't as powerful as MWF. If Barbasol did a lanolin tube like the therapeutic creme they sell I would buy it.

I think of Barbasol as the Cheez-Whiz of shaving products. You outgrew it years ago, but once in a while you have this craving for something that's completely unnatural, devoid of any nutritional value, tasteless, and cheap. That said, it has it's place in the pantry. You can't make a decent cheese steak without it.

Funny!

Before I discovered the Arko stick and bought a dozen to last me every trip I'll ever have for the next 20 years, I had a few leftover cans of goo that pre-date my electric (used em for over a decade and my face never exploded or spontaneously combusted even one time, but I may just be lucky). I'll still use them occasionally, either because I'm in a hurry or on a whim--like your cheez whiz theory--and I think even when they're gone I'll have a can in the house for laughs. I have tried and like the Barbasol 'Arctic Chill.'

I think of Barbasol as the Cheez-Whiz of shaving products. You outgrew it years ago, but once in a while you have this craving for something that's completely unnatural, devoid of any nutritional value, tasteless, and cheap.

That is a great quote and theory. Do you mind if I use it? (With proper acknowledgement of course.)

Just tried the yellow Barbasol as a result of this thread. It was...pretty good actually. The smell was great, but the lanolin effect wasn't as powerful as MWF. If Barbasol did a lanolin tube like the therapeutic creme they sell I would buy it.

How is that Barbasol tube stuff? I almost threw one in the basket last time I ordered some things. But I didn't need it to go over the free ship threshold, so it came back out.

How is that Barbasol tube stuff? I almost threw one in the basket last time I ordered some things. But I didn't need it to go over the free ship threshold, so it came back out.

I'm a fan of the non-aerosol Barbasol in a tube; My biggest complaint with it is I have to order it because no one carries it locally.
It works very well: it probably is one of the best moisturizing shave creams I've tried so far.
On the bad side, it can be very messy; I usually need to use scrubbing bubbles on my DE's about once a week when I use this.

The tube Barbasol is in the same league as Cremo IMO. Not as slick, but thicker and moisturizing. It also feels kind of industrial and oily. It works though, I have converted my father over to it.

The tube Barbasol is in the same league as Cremo IMO. Not as slick, but thicker and moisturizing. It also feels kind of industrial and oily. It works though, I have converted my father over to it.

Does it lather like Palmolive? Or just lubricate like Cremo?

I just drunk shaved with my mild razor, using enough pressure to peel a banana. It was totally fine (bar 5 cuts on my neck). Smoothest shaving in weeks mind. Boom

Honestly it was a fantastic shave, and a lot quicker than making lather. It felt a lot more old school and manly too than spinning my brush around in 20$ fruity smelling French soap. Im sticking with this!

From the TV series "Made In America" - Barbasol...

Finally watched. They test every can by submerging in 140F water before it leaves the factory, so that answers the question about submerging it for warm lather. Of course if it's old and rusty you can expect less strength, but then by that time it may have less internal pressure due to usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally watched. They test every can by submerging in 140F water before it leaves the factory, so that answers the question about submerging it for warm lather.

As long as someone's water heater doesn't heat to above 140. Standard range for most water heaters is from 120 - 180F, which can be adjusted by the user. I guess the takeaway is, if you have your water heater set to "high," don't run fully hot water in your sink if you plan to submerge your can of shaving foam.

I tried Barbasol original this morning for the hell of it: let the can sit in a sink full of hot water while I showered. Picked up a can at Wally World while "browsing" any DE-shaving stuff they might have on the shelves which consisted of one puck of VDH Luxury soap. They didn't even carry any blades at all which I found kind of unusual.

Anyway, it wasn't that bad. Shave wasn't as close. Face burned a little upon application of my after-shave: that usually doesn't happen.

I'll keep it around for times when I'm in a hurry and just need a rough shave.

I usually use Proraso Green in a tub. By comparison, the Barbasol seemed very thick, pasty and not nearly as slick.

Definitely no going back to hit a few small trouble areas with just a wet razor, no relathering, like I can do with the Proraso.

It's about what I expected: acceptable in a pinch but wouldn't want to use it every day. The stinging aftershave portends that it would eventually take a toll on my skin.

My grandfather just bought me a can of Barbasol. I'm not sure why he did, but I'm certainly not going to turn down a gift from Pap. When your grandfather gives you a random gift, ESPECIALLY if he is a battle-honored, Pacific Theatre, WWII vet, you graciously accept it. And for those reasons, I would like to figure out how to include this can into my shaving routine from time to time. Does anyone have any suggestions aside from just "using as directed"? I'm looking for some way to heat it and mix it with what I whip up with my brush. Has anyone experimented with this? If so, what is your best preparation and what were your results? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Off-topic and in addition: Does anyone know what the stars mean next to threads here on B&B? I've noticed that some threads have stars next to them, in the same area it displays that you're subscribed, or if there are any attachments in the thread. If someone could clear that up that would be great too. Thanks!

Top Bottom