What's new

just shaved with barbasol

Use it as a pre-shave prep. Slap some on 10 minutes before you shave. I put it on while I'm showering, then when I'm done washing myself I rinse it off and shower-shave.

The stars are ratings by users. Scroll up to the top and click "Rate this thread" to vote.

I've been using it in the shower as well.... after I wash my face I smear some on, rub it in nicely and leave it on until right before I get out...I think it softens things up nicely

I was a Barbasol shaver as well...But I gotta tell ya, I love putting a good brush to my face
and building up a good lather. And man there are some good scents out there that won't break the bank.

I'm certainly not going to turn down a gift from Pap. When your grandfather gives you a random gift, ESPECIALLY if he is a battle-honored, Pacific Theatre, WWII vet, you graciously accept it. And for those reasons, I would like to figure out how to include this can into my shaving routine from time to time. Does anyone have any suggestions aside from just "using as directed"?

I completely agree. When you grandfather cares, you take it and you run with it. While I haven't used canned creams for a long time, I'm not sure mixing is great. When I did use canned I never was able to do better than floating the can in a sink of hot water while I showered. That's what I would do, and I'd just stick it in the rotation and think of my granddad when it came up. My own granddad has been gone for over 30 years; what I wouldn't give to still be able to get a can of Barbasol from him.

I shaved with Barbasol Yellow and I can honestly say I have never made a slicker lather with any soap I have tried (and I've tried a whole bunch)

After experiencing the day after it and switching back to my regular stuff this morning, I can say I won't be trying Barbasol Original again.

My face didn't seem bad for the first couple of hours after I shaved with it, but it seemed at that point the whiskers literally started sprouting from my face and even felt different from the stubble I experience by the afternoon hours using my usual stuff. The whiskers felt really wiry and were annoying to touch with my hands, whereas my usual afternoon whisker stubble is noticeable by touch, but not in a bad way.

By the evening, I was really hating the way my face felt and considered shaving again to alleviate it, but the Barbasol, despite teaming it with my usual witch hazel/cold water rinse/lime aftershave splash, had left my face so dry I chose to leave it alone and wait until this morning.

Ahhhh. Back to my Proraso Green. All is as it should be now.

I may try using up the can of Barbasol as a pre-shave treatment in the shower in lieu of hair conditioner to see how it works, but I won't shave with it again.

Just goes to show that at least to me it's the "total package" that makes or breaks your shave. I used the same razor and blade (Merkur 23C Shark Super Chrome) with yesterday's shave being the first use of that blade and today's the second. I've never noted a difference in my shaves between the 1st and 2nd use of Sharks. Yet, using the Barbasol which is liked by more than a few and is purported to be one of the better canned shaving creams out there, my shave was terrible and not something I wish to experience again.

I would note that I just applied the Barbasol to my face with my hands and didn't use any kind of brush.

Hmmm, I've got Barbasol, and use it if I'm in a terrible hurry... Can't complain, but my face and beard isn't the most sensitive in the world.

There's just so much in the shaving world that is "your mileage may vary"... Kind of daunting, because there's so much in the way of soaps and creams that I want to try, but don't want to "waste" money... Looks like lots of samplers for me, LOL.

Dean

I'll admit, I bought it and I don't mind it. One thing that's running right over my head, is the amount of people that use it for a 'pre shave'? If you're into soaps, creams and brushes to enjoy the better quality and not put all the gooey chemicals and propellants on your face, I don't think 'pre shave' is any different. Whether you wash with it or shave with it, its still soaking into you're skin.

Throw it away and don't tell Pap.

Um, refer to the quote below:

PGHChris said:
When your grandfather gives you a random gift, ESPECIALLY if he is a battle-honored, Pacific Theatre, WWII vet, you graciously accept it. And for those reasons, I would like to figure out how to include this can into my shaving routine from time to time.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

I'll admit, I bought it and I don't mind it. One thing that's running right over my head, is the amount of people that use it for a 'pre shave'? If you're into soaps, creams and brushes to enjoy the better quality and not put all the gooey chemicals and propellants on your face, I don't think 'pre shave' is any different. Whether you wash with it or shave with it, its still soaking into you're skin.

I can't speak for anybody else but I'm not into soaps and brushes because I'm scared of gooey chemicals or propellants. Hair conditioner or other prep products don't seem to have anything more to offer me than Barbasol, and Barbasol (especially yellow) smells like a barber shop unlike fruity or flowery hair conditioners. It's also so inexpensive that it's nearly free, a can costs a buck and change and lasts pretty much forever.

All this praise for the yellow can and I can't find it anywhere! Grrr

> All this praise for the yellow can and I can't find it anywhere! Grrr

I know what you mean. First I went to Walgreens and it seemed like they had everything but the Yellow. Then CVS and it was just Red and Green. Then Target and they just had tons and tons of Green and nothing else. Finally got lucky and found a Yellow can browsing my local grocery store chain. It's odd that this can gets so much praise here but it's the one stores choose to carry the least of.

I've used the Green and Yellow now. Compared to shaving soap they lack slickness but they are okay. They have a very nice thickness and density to them. The smell, though faint, really does grow on you. I like Green to the point where I would love to find a shaving soap with the same scent, but more power to it.

One other difference between Green and Yellow for those who care about such things. Green seems to have a much longer ingredients list including Parabens where Yellows lacks those.

Top Bottom