What's new

just shaved with barbasol

I hate to contribute to landfills, but I think today I will go and seek out a can of Foamy and a can of Barbasol and see if either work well with brush experiments. Way too many things to be curious about in this lil 'hobby', but ultimately I enjoy seeking the cheapest possible ways to the best results. If I can DE with a can of foam well enough, why not throw it in between my soap or creams a couple times a week? We might not have the penny anymore, but I'll always try and save 'em.
You want cheap and performance?
Buy Arko sticks in bulk.
I don't think there's anything out there with better bang for the buck.

I would think that because foam is made up of microscopic bubbles that propane would be the gas within those bubbles would it not?

That's an interesting question. And a position I hadn't considered.

Assume for a minute that you're correct. How long the propane lasts on exposure to air will be very dependent on the permeability of the bubble walls. Once oxygen begins to come into contact with the propane it will start breaking down into carbon dioxide and water. But obviously not explosively. Nobody's face catches on fire from Barbasol.

The question would be how long will detectable propane remain in the foam.

I'll try to research this.

I picked up a hot lather machine I found for $2.50 the other day (!) and have been using it with my old yellow can of Barbasol with lanolin. It feels NICE! But I still prefer the Pinaud canned cream.

I had one of those many years ago. (I picked up a hot lather machine) My Father's wife gave it to me. I remember you had to set your can of shaving cream in it. I think it was made by Schick and they made a special can for it.

When I was in Boot Camp our DI gave each squad leader a list they made each recruit buy certain items from the list. We each had to buy 3 of each and 1 for our selves. They gave us a list of brands of Cigarettes Pall Mall, Chesterfield all non filter, and Winston, Marlboro Filter and we each had to buy 3 cans of Barbasol Shaving Cream. also several packages of DE Razor Blades.3 tubes of Tooth paste and 3 cans of Brasso. That was at the recruit Post Exchange. When we got back to our area when we got back to the area we were each allowed 1 pack of Cigarettes (mine were Chesterfield that way it wasn't too hard for me to field strip a cigarette butt) Half way thru boot camp we went back to the Recruit exchange and had to buy more off the list plus a new list. I think I smoked maybe two packs of cigarettes during all of boot camp. We never got any of the razor blades, or the shaving cream. When we got to MCRD we got a Gillette Double Edge Razor a Can of shaving Cream, a Right Guard Deodorant, a tooth brush and a tube of Tooth paste. (Crest) not for our teeth, if you had black heads or acne the DI showed you how to use it on your skin, any black heads went away quickly.

Buy Arko sticks in bulk.

Definitely something I would consider doing, though I never travel around the internet shopping. I like to purposely limit myself to what I can find locally and along my travels. Not only for less expense, but I enjoy the hunt. Whenever there comes a day I stumble across it somehow, it will be bought!

I find that Barbasol doesn't have quite enough glide to give me a great shave on my face (love the scent of classic Barbasol, though). Maybe if I used a slick pre-shave I would get better results with it. I once had to use up some Williams, and after putting on a layer of ultra-slick Williams with my brush, I would apply a layer of Barbasol for cushion. I got some great shaves with that combination.

I do use Barbasol when I shave my head, but I use a cart or a Headblade for that. Barbasol is a great old American company, and I like to support them. And I love their Pacific Rush and Brisk aftershaves--best AS value out there.

Last edited:
I have used Barbasol as a pre shave cream in the shower and then use a second application post shower with a warm moist towel over it for a few minutes. I then shave with whatever soap or cream I'm using that day.

It has worked for me. YMMV.

Same here.

Buy Arko sticks in bulk.

Definitely best bang for the buck, but you do get a few more shaves per dollar with Barbasol.

Assume for a minute that you're correct. How long the propane lasts on exposure to air will be very dependent on the permeability of the bubble walls. Once oxygen begins to come into contact with the propane it will start breaking down into carbon dioxide and water. But obviously not explosively. Nobody's face catches on fire from Barbasol.

Does propane react with oxygen in that fashion? I thought it merely mixes if there's not enough heat and appropriate mixture for combustion.

a tooth brush and a tube of Tooth paste. (Crest) not for our teeth, if you had black heads or acne the DI showed you how to use it on your skin, any black heads went away quickly.

This is relevant to my interests. Please explain.

I think of Barbasol as the Cheez-Whiz of shaving products. You outgrew it years ago, but once in a while you have this craving for something that's completely unnatural, devoid of any nutritional value, tasteless, and cheap. That said, it has it's place in the pantry. You can't make a decent cheese steak without it.

Last edited:
I had one of those many years ago. (I picked up a hot lather machine) My Father's wife gave it to me. I remember you had to set your can of shaving cream in it. I think it was made by Schick and they made a special can for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I often wonder what a common greasy cheesesteak sandwich would taste like with aged cheddar and swiss.

It's good, but it's not a "Cheese Steak"!

Here are the originals...

Last edited by a moderator:
Does propane react with oxygen in that fashion? I thought it merely mixes if there's not enough heat and appropriate mixture for combustion.

The burning reaction is rapid, and it requires an ignition source to start.

Without an ignition source random interactions between the molecules will occur that result in the eventual reduction of the mixture to the lower energy states of CO2 and H2O. How rapidly that happens, since it clearly doesn't combust spontaneously at standard temperature, depends on the energy potential required to shift the electrons off the propane. I can't answer that off the top of my head.

The gasses are stable underground for millions of years because any small amounts of free oxygen are consumed promptly. If there was somehow a regular introduction of free oxygen into the reservoir, then over the millennium the supply would diminish to nothing.

I see. That reaction would have to be on a longer schedule than we're discussing for shaving. Does not a leaking tank indoors present a danger until the room is ventilated? That's why they add a detection scent.

I see. That reaction would have to be on a longer schedule than we're discussing for shaving. Does not a leaking tank indoors present a danger until the room is ventilated? That's why they add a detection scent.

Yes, but I dare say that a leaking tank that's detectable by odor has released enough propane to squirt a case of Barbasol out of its cans.

I mean face it, you couldn't ignite the propane in your sink if you squirted the whole can out non-stop. There's probably more propane in one bottle of Coleman lamp gas than in every can of shaving cream in 5 Walmarts combined. So even if he reaction isn't "fast" how long can a minuscule amount take to dissipate?

Granted, I'm making educated guesses here. I'm not stating manufacturing data. I've never worked in the shave cream industry.

Last edited:
I mean face it, you couldn't ignite the propane in your sink if you squirted the whole can out non-stop.

Is the reason most (or all?) aerosol cans list a warning to avoid open flame because of the propellants in the can, or because the product itself is flammable (e.g., alcohol-based hair spray)? If the product itself is not flammable (e.g., shaving cream), would the propellants pose no danger of combustion if exposed to open flame?

It would be interesting to learn.

My concern is more directed at it drying or irritating the skin as opposed to it's catching fire. Before finding this site I had used it in the past with not very good results. I can't say it was the Barbasol or other canned goo I tried because in fact I was shaving wrong in the first place. Cartridge razors, bad prep and technique ect...

Is the reason most (or all?) aerosol cans list a warning to avoid open flame because of the propellants in the can, or because the product itself is flammable (e.g., alcohol-based hair spray)? If the product itself is not flammable (e.g., shaving cream), would the propellants pose no danger of combustion if exposed to open flame?

I think much of that warning is to keep the can from exploding. Heating will raise the internal pressure rapidly, and the can is only built to take so much.

Things like hair spray are flammable by themselves. For example White Rain - a wonderful waxy and oil stain remover from clothing - is flammable in the aerosol and manual pump bottles. Aerosol deodorants are the same. As you noted, a major ingredient is SD Alcohol 40 in most of these.

I just looked at a can of Pam and Baker's Secret aerosols, and both of those are naturally flammable as well.

So I suspect, and as I pointed out above *this is educated guessing on my part instead of what I really do for a living*, the propellants certainly add a flammable component when the product itself is flammable. And that contributes to the overall warning to avoid open flames. But if the product isn't flammable - shave cream is mostly water - the warning still stands to protect the mechanical integrity of the container.

Over all, the warning is there because the corporate lawyers tell them to put it there, so they have a leg to stand on in front of a jury.

Top Bottom