What's new

just shaved with barbasol

How exactly does Barbasol compare to the Gillette Foamy Menthol? I hate to as such a question, but as I like a good menthol, maybe a can for at work is a good idea?

It just didn't seem right using the good stuff with goo----weird, I know

I guess I just associate canned foam with disposables and carts----and puck and brush with DE shaving

Soap and brush bring the same advantages to cartridges and disposables as they do to DE. I think we all associate the same way you do (I certainly do), but stepping outside of that association can be useful.

A couple days ago I decided I really need to try Barbasol with DE. I will soon.

How exactly does Barbasol compare to the Gillette Foamy Menthol? I hate to as such a question, but as I like a good menthol, maybe a can for at work is a good idea?

I've never tried Foamy but I've seen a far worse ratio of good to bad experiences with it posted here, compared to Barbasol.

I like Barbasol's menthols but the yellow can lanolin "Skin Conditioner" one is a superior lather.

I hate to contribute to landfills, but I think today I will go and seek out a can of Foamy and a can of Barbasol and see if either work well with brush experiments. Way too many things to be curious about in this lil 'hobby', but ultimately I enjoy seeking the cheapest possible ways to the best results. If I can DE with a can of foam well enough, why not throw it in between my soap or creams a couple times a week? We might not have the penny anymore, but I'll always try and save 'em.

I have done it. I skipped the brush, used Barbasol Aloe with my DE and a new blade. All my usual prep and everything remained the same, I just switched out my cream for the can. All I can say it, it wasn't at all unpleasant, though, a little quicker and not quite the 'experience' I enjoy. I will say it's miles above Williams, and only because of a slight drying effect, its only just under an equivalent to Kiss My Face. Not Bad at all really.

If you look at the ingredients on the can it lists "propane" this is what is used as a propellant to get the cream from the can. I will not put propane on my face plain and simple.

If you look at the ingredients on the can it lists "propane" this is what is used as a propellant to get the cream from the can. I will not put propane on my face plain and simple.

Well, you really can't put the propane on your face. At room temperature it is in a gaseous state, and will dissipate far faster than you can whip the lather on.

But this is not an endorsement of canned goo. I stopped shaving with goo sometime in the mid '80s. I didn't get back to DE blades until last year, but I was done with goo so long ago I don't even really remember what it was like. I hated it.

I personally think the barbasol woks a lot better with my de. When I used a cartridge it seemed too thick and it clogged pretty bad and kind of just scrapped the cream off instead of shaving it. With the de it feels great to me.

And i still am going to use my soaps and brush, i did today actually, im just saying i really don't notice a difference in terms of comfort or closeness. Although to be honest the barbasol is so thick it does seem to protect me better than a lot of soap I've tried

I personally think the barbasol woks a lot better with my de. When I used a cartridge it seemed too thick and it clogged pretty bad and kind of just scrapped the cream off instead of shaving it.

My grandad was a Barbasol man till he died. He used a Gem SE, but that's about the same as a DE compared to a cartridge.

Dad used a coffee mug and an Ever Ready brush.

Whatever anyone wants is fine. As someone else pointed out there are millions of cartridge guys out there totally happy with their solution. As long as I'm happy with mine it's all good.

Or Gillette, or any of the main brands. That's why I like barbasol. If it ain't broke don't fix it, and its still the same stuff decade after decade. And why? Because it works, and its still dirt cheap. Whereas Gillette wants to market the new pulsating 5 blade, 14 piece of plastic crap that's been marked up to extreme price levels instead of sticking with what worked for decades and decades.

Or Gillette, or any of the main brands. That's why I like barbasol. If it ain't broke don't fix it, and its still the same stuff decade after decade. And why? Because it works, and its still dirt cheap. Whereas Gillette wants to market the new pulsating 5 blade, 14 piece of plastic crap that's been marked up to extreme price levels instead of sticking with what worked for decades and decades.

They pay a lot of attention to the shareholders. The shareholders want profit. They pay only as much attention to the customer as required to keep the customers from going somewhere else.

If they could figure out how to license a razor to you so you have a repetitive fee they would.

Well, you really can't put the propane on your face. At room temperature it is in a gaseous state, and will dissipate far faster than you can whip the lather on.

But this is not an endorsement of canned goo. I stopped shaving with goo sometime in the mid '80s. I didn't get back to DE blades until last year, but I was done with goo so long ago I don't even really remember what it was like. I hated it.
I would think that because foam is made up of microscopic bubbles that propane would be the gas within those bubbles would it not?

Well - my starter kit hasn't arrived yet so I have no brush to whip up a lather with. Tonight I shaved with a cartridge and put nuetrogena shave cream on first then barbasol. Did one pass then reapplied both and touched up the rough spots.. All things considered, not the worst shave I've ever had. Now that's more of a reply to barbasol than to the razor because I really, really am looking forward to the arrival of my DE Razor(s)!!

I have used Barbasol as a pre shave cream in the shower and then use a second application post shower with a warm moist towel over it for a few minutes. I then shave with whatever soap or cream I'm using that day.

It has worked for me. YMMV.

I use barbasol when traveling. Last time TSA took it I joked that I was out a$1.50. Guess he needed more than me.

Honestly it was a fantastic shave, and a lot quicker than making lather. It felt a lot more old school and manly too than spinning my brush around in 20$ fruity smelling French soap. Im sticking with this!
I used to use that stuff (about 20-25 years ago).
Now I don't even use the canned stuff for travel. That's what La Toja and Arko are for :whistling:

I personally think the barbasol woks a lot better with my de. When I used a cartridge it seemed too thick and it clogged pretty bad and kind of just scrapped the cream off instead of shaving it. With the de it feels great to me.

And i still am going to use my soaps and brush, i did today actually, im just saying i really don't notice a difference in terms of comfort or closeness. Although to be honest the barbasol is so thick it does seem to protect me better than a lot of soap I've tried
I would...mainly because I love warm lather applied with a warm brush. For me, that goes a long way towards comfort and performance.

Top Bottom