What's new

just shaved with barbasol

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
How easy does it rinse off from the blade? I tried a couple of canned ones with my DE razors and I had to let them soak a lot longer to let the lather come off the gap between the blade and base plate. So I am wondering if you have tried other shaving creams/soaps and how it differs.

a quick swish in the sink of water or a quick rinse under running water is all it takes to remove the lather during a shave.

It's been a good long while since I've used a canned goo..ymmv. Bet my pops has a few of cans of Barbasol on deck, however. That has been the only canned goo in our household for as long as I can remember. Luckily I got him using some artisan soaps with a little Omega boar which he likes sometimes.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It felt a lot more old school and manly too than spinning my brush around in 20$ fruity smelling French soap.

Considering the first can of pressurized shave foam was invented in 1949 and not regularly marketed to the public or popular until the mid 60's I would say soap & brush takes the win in the 'Old School' department. And the definition of the connotation 'More Manly'

is as wide open as "a blue tutu is more manly than a pink tutu". However, if I was to use a can of pressurized goo to shave, it would be Barbasol. :)

I picked up a hot lather machine I found for $2.50 the other day (!) and have been using it with my old yellow can of Barbasol with lanolin. It feels NICE! But I still prefer the Pinaud canned cream.

Let the can soak in a sink of hot water while you're in the shower. Nice warm lather is very nice and soothing.
Never occured to me in nearly 25 years of shaving with Barbasol to do this. Going to have to try it for the odd occasion I break out the canned Colgate or La Toja from under the sink.

I've found that technique and preparation are key for me, followed by tools (razor and blades) then cream (the medium). As long as you are hydrating your face, using good technique, I've found I can use most creams, gels, oils, even dove soap can provide me a close comfortable shave. Barbasol can give just as good a shave as expensive creams and I still whip it out when traveling or just when I feel like it. I like orange and yellow versions in winter. The green aloe is great in the summer, especially if you get too much sun on your face.

Lars

Let the can soak in a sink of hot water while you're in the shower. Nice warm lather is very nice and soothing.
There is actually a warning on the can; "Do not heat for warm lather".

I use Barbasol sometimes when traveling and don't want to get a brush wet. I shave with straights and it lacks glide IMO.

There is actually a warning on the can; "Do not heat for warm lather".

I use Barbasol sometimes when traveling and don't want to get a brush wet. I shave with straights and it lacks glide IMO.

I think the warning is a stifle against suing them if you explode the can by putting it on a stove burner. But, since it's there, better not do it or you're taking your life into your own hands.

I think the warning is a stifle against suing them if you explode the can by putting it on a stove burner. But, since it's there, better not do it or you're taking your life into your own hands.

Could just be legal schmegal, but every aerosol can of anything I've ever seen has said not to expose it to temperatures above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Most water heaters are set to heat water anywhere from 120 to 180 degrees, so in theory there is a potential risk in trying to warm up a can of Barbasol in a sink of hot water. So, anyone contemplating trying this has gotta ask himself a question: "Do I feel lucky?"

Last edited:
There's been a can of Barbagoo under my sink for over 3 years---I bought some cheap disposable razors for the expressed purpose of using the can up as I'm too cheap to just throw it away------I popped the seal on the can just this morning.

Sorry, I would have responded to this earlier, but someone left a can of Barbasol boiling on the stove and it exploded. What? Doesn't everyone do that? At least the mirrors don't fog up and we have th old school manly scent of . . . Barbasol throughout the house. Why don't they warn us that this could happen? They do...oops!

Sorry, I would have responded to this earlier, but someone left a can of Barbasol boiling on the stove and it exploded. What? Doesn't everyone do that? At least the mirrors don't fog up and we have th old school manly scent of . . . Barbasol throughout the house. Why don't they warn us that this could happen? They do...oops!

Sue 'em!

I was living in Arizona when some woman won a suit against GM because she got hurt when she drove her new Jimmy off the edge of a cliff. There was no warning in the manual that off road driving could be dangerous.

GM appealed, and I moved before it was settled. I never heard the final resolution.

Last edited:
Barbasol is a good canned cream, and I used it in the past with cartridges. Whatever works best for you is the key. Glad you like it, but I don't see the point in denigrating others on here who like their soaps/ creams. I hope it brought some twisted enjoyment to put others down. Not very B&B of you.

Old high school prank. Freeze a large can of barbasol or other shaving foam. Once frozen carefully puncture can and cut open and take out the frozen log of barbasol. Cut log in half and leave in inconspicuous places (your buddy's schoolbag or locker, etc). Watch later when buddy opens either to a huge un thawed pile of shaving cream to his surprise and dismay. Be prepared for retribution.

Please don't blame me for said retribution if you happen to perform this prank. It's only for illustrative purposes : )

Last edited:
OP reeks of troll, but trolling backfired...plenty of support, information, and fun in here and not much bickering.

You're missing the best one, "Skin Conditioner" with lanolin (yellow).

Barbasol works ok but soap works better. I haven't wanted to let any precious Arko go to waste on my mirror but Dial keeps my suction cup mirror crystal clear in the shower.

Be careful with that Dove. Even though women manage to thrive using it on their entire body daily for decades on end, apparently it's made only of the most evil acids extracted directly from Satan's stomach:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...s-where-do-you-buy-from?p=5791599#post5791599

Odd, everybody says it will rust out and explode within 6 months.

Why did you buy cheap disposable razors to use it up? Wouldn't you be better off using it with good equipment, so even if you expect crappy performance from the cream you can still expect reasonable performance from the hardware?

Do you have any idea how many shaves are in a can of Barbasol? You won't use it up with one pack of disposables.

It just didn't seem right using the good stuff with goo----weird, I know

I guess I just associate canned foam with disposables and carts----and puck and brush with DE shaving

Last edited:
Top Bottom