What's new

Just an Observation...your thoughts?

I have seen quite a few people here that still refer to having to use an M3, or other disposable when "they are in a hurry," "traveling," or the like. Now, I am no rocket scientist nor am I the speediest guy in the bathroom, but I find it just as easy to do a quick shave with some soap, brush (lather on the face), and DE than I do with a disposable. It may just be me, but I personally think that any DE shave (no matter how rough) is better than any shave you can get with a disposable.
or
maybe I am just an old-school wetshaving snob...:cool:

What do you guys think about the "too busy/not easy enough" crowd?

I have seen quite a few people here that still refer to having to use an M3, or other disposable when "they are in a hurry," "traveling," or the like. Now, I am no rocket scientist nor am I the speediest guy in the bathroom, but I find it just as easy to do a quick shave with some soap, brush (lather on the face), and DE than I do with a disposable. It may just be me, but I personally think that any DE shave (no matter how rough) is better than any shave you can get with a disposable.
or

I guess that makes me old-school westshaving snob as well. :lol:

I agree with you. Once you have mastered BBS shaves using a DE and have logged several months of shaving, you can speed up your technique. For example, when I am in a rush in the morning I face lather (quicker than a bowl) and do 1-2 passes. While this might not get me BBS, it's enough to get me through a day at work without having my boss yell at me for looking scruffy. There is absolutely NO REASON conceivable to use a M3 or a disposable when shaving a quick 1-2 DE is just as good.

Unite you DE shaving snobbery connoisseurs!

I'm with you. I just wouldn't go back because I enjoy my shave to much. As for the time, to me it might be a couple minutes faster but that just is not worth the poor shave I would be left with.
Sorry, I'll take my DE's any day and anywhere....

I still shave with the Fusion if I only have a few minutes to get it done, but I can go almost as fast with the DE. I've been using straights lately, and I don't rush them.

M3's and Fusions do give excellent shaves for some folks. They also work for airline travel, as well. And they are convenient.

M3's and Fusions didn't work well for me, tho.

I also suspect that folks sticking with these cartridges haven't developed adequate technique, or a comfort level with DE's. So they aren't getting superlative shaves with the DE's. They tell themselves "I get a better shave with a Fusion/M3", and they are right --they do. They go back from the DE and are happy with their cartridges. And that's just fine.

It's a matter of experience and practice, though. I will say this:

"You cannot learn to shave with a DE razor by using an M3"

It always tickles me that a guy will use a cartridge razor as a crutch, then maintain the DE to be inferior. Different strokes, I guess...

-- John Gehman

OldSaw

The wife's investment
My last cartridge razor was a Schick FX Diamond and the cartridges are no longer available. I do have some BIC disposables for traveling. I can still shave pretty fast with a DE when pressed for time.

My speedy routine usually consists of lathering with cream right out of the tube on my fingers and doing a quick WTG blade buffing pass. I have also used Neutregena face soap for shave lather. Works great for a quick single pass shave.

I shave with my DE whenever possible.

However, as BroJohn said, cartridge razors work for airline travel. If I am on a quick trip, and I am only bringing a carry-on bag, I can't bring any razor blades with me, so no DE shave.

I also keep an "emergency" toiletries kit in my carry-on even when I'm checking baggage just in case they lose my bag and I don't get it back for a few days.

As far as time goes, If I am going to be rushed in the morning, I usually shave the night before. I'm still pretty darn smooth by the next day.

spiffy

With the right products I can get an "ok" shave with a Quattro in start to finish - 1 minute or less.

I can get a pretty damn good shave with a DE or a Straight in 5 min or so (start to finish) and the extra time is worth it for me, so it's pretty rare I use a cartridge razor unless it's for an article/test or the like. Also, regardless of the time spent - no matter what I do I cannot get an irritation and ingrown free BBS shave with a cartridge razor - where as this is not the case with a DE or a straight razor.

or

Yeah, I basically agree with you, but I keep my M3 more for nostalgia sake. Plus, I find that by using the skills I learned in wetshaving (from this great forum) and the better shaving creams I get a superior shave than just the usual canned goo that these cartridge razors are teamed up with. I shave better with it now than I did back in high school! Believe it or not, with good prep, shaving cream and a good brush, I acheive a really smooth shave, almost BBS! It's not really BBS because by late afternoon I feel stubble and a real BBS shave lasts until late evening. My M3 has basically been demoted to travel razor status but i take it out now and then for old times sake.
Ernest

I can't see myself going back to the M3. But, as someone pointed out on another thread, the pivoting head keeps the blades at the proper angle. So you don't have to think about technique quite as much.

I can see getting a quick, passable shave with the M3. But I like a challenge. :wink:

With the right products I can get an "ok" shave with a Quattro in start to finish - 1 minute or less.

I can get a pretty damn good shave with a DE or a Straight in 5 min or so (start to finish) and the extra time is worth it for me, so it's pretty rare I use a cartridge razor unless it's for an article/test or the like. Also, regardless of the time spent - no matter what I do I cannot get an irritation and ingrown free BBS shave with a cartridge razor - where as this is not the case with a DE or a straight razor.

That's not what you said when you reviewed the Fusion

I've LEARNED more since using a DE. I think, at least for me, when I was using cartridges there was a latent, um... "reliance" on the cartridge doing the shave, and me and my face almost played no part. You saw this seemingly well engineered cartridge designed by engineers; the thing just clicked into the handle; it pivoted to follow the contours of your face; it even had pre-lubricated strips! You don't even think about blade angle, or pressure, or how your beard REALLY grows. You just shave and go. But with all that, I never could shave every day; it was just too irritating. I was convinced that it was because I had extra-sensitive skin, and I padded my arsenal with special "extra-sensitive" gels and balms. Sometimes I'd have a barber's rash break out on my cheek or chin, and this would mean a trip to the doctor for some antibiotics to clear the breakout.

I can shave just as fast with a DE as when I did using cartridges. But my experience, and KNOWING that I play an active role in the shave now allows me to shave daily, and get as close a shave when I was using 3 or 5 blade cartridges. My soaps are basic, Tabac and MWF, and I can slap on an alcohol-based bay rum with no near-fatal results. I like shaving now; it's fun, and something I really look forward to every day.

Don

I my case,with a good prep,I get closer shaves with cartridges than DEs or SE's when I do use my left over stock,but the pleasure factor is minimised severely.I'm lucky,for though I have thick facial hair, I never suffered from burn or ingrown's while using cartridges on a regular basis.:wink:

That's not what you said when you reviewed the Fusion

Did you read the review? It was an initial impression, and that last few paragraphs specifically stated it was an initial impression.

While I could, and still can get a superlative shave from a Fusion Power with a fresh blade for 2-3 days, after the initial "honeymoon" period, I am blessed with a lovely assortment of ingrown hairs.

The review was done by request of several fellas on the forum who wanted me to try a fusion as they thought they were outstanding, and give my thoughts/impression. In later posts, I would go on to detail my problems with ingrowns when using the fusion against the grain, especially with blades that weren't fresh.

Well to those who still choose to use the M3 I say to each his own. There is nothing wrong with quick 2 minute shave, but personally I would rather spend the extra effort in making things right.

Somehow it just does not feel the same once you have perfected the use of a str8 / DE. I believe a str8 shave is superior than any shave and I have not shaved with a DE in months now and the M3 is a distant memory of days gone when shaving was chore.

on the rare occasion that I need to hurry to get my shave done, I can use KMF or Cremo without a brush and do two passes in probably about 3 minutes with a DE. Seems to be about the same as I did with my Sensor. I won't go back. Never:frown2:

Top Bottom